Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggie Garden

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Thanks Technophobe!

Other than weeds would there be any worry in getting some fresher stuff form souce? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Thanks Technophobe!

Other than weeds would there be any worry in getting some fresher stuff form souce? :)

If you can get some from source, then free is always better BUT and it's a big but, it maybe a bit late in the year to be applying fresh manure to beds that you hope to use this year. Carrots for example will fork in freshly manured beds, whereas potatoes can be planted on fresh manure, so all depends..

What are you hoping to grow this year?

More well rotted manure would be better in most cases

Got quite a lot planned and planted. Two beds of brassicas, one of salad, one of corn and two of roots. One of the side beds is peas, back is beans and the other side will be a bit of a mish mash including the Strawberries there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Looking good, decent transformation.

Any plan to paint the walls? It will really transform the space.

Thanks QV! I was thinking I would - any suggestions on colour? I was thinking white to reflect the light but maybe a nice green?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm loving this. It looks great OP fair play.

Can I ask if you have any kind of "relaxing" space there, i.e. a small patio or such like?

I have a humungous garden, south facing and it's doing dam all. We just sit on the patio of an evening and plan. That's as far as we've got!

But how would we eat all that grub! That's another thing...

Thanks Spanish Eyes!

This is the garden to the side of the of the house, but I'm blessed and cursed by a 7 x 7m back garden, 5x5m yard and a front garden the same sort of size as the veggie garden but it comes to a point (think quarter of an oval). So the plan is, showy flower garden at the front, veggie garden which is done(ish) and then a patio garden at the back. We're currently talking to landscapers about the back, but it's a mess with a wall and concrete yard needing to come out.

I have to say I'm getting a lot of pleasure out of the veggie garden and we did get a bit off it last year, hopefully this year the momentum will be kept going with the veggies! I can recommend it enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Thanks QV! I was thinking I would - any suggestions on colour? I was thinking white to reflect the light but maybe a nice green?

White will make it really bright alright.
    Maybe terracotta. Will make it quite warm feeling. Or blue?

If you're feeling brave, shocking pink. It looks class
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/nov/13/gardens-pink-revamp

Okay clue is in the name alright but I've found out one of the problems with my soil is it's subsoil not top soil. So 2 Tonne of top soil arrived today - do I just sprinkle this on top or do I need to dig it in?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement