Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charleville HM 2015

Options
  • 14-09-2015 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭

Can't find a thread for this year so starting this. I have registered for this and am starting to look forward to it (as much as you can look forward to racing 13.1 miles).
    Any feedback/advice from previous Charleville runners?

Charleville 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Plodman

I ran it last year for the first time and now include it as one of my must do races. A very good course and well organised. Many roads are closed so you don't have to worry about traffic. Great timing as a tune up for DCM too. Also incorporates the Munster HM championships. Well worth running

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Haven't done it but might do it this year, will wait until later in the week to make my mind up. But good course preview here.

http://munsterraceroutes.blogspot.ie/2013/01/cork037.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Can't find a thread for this year so starting this. I have registered for this and am starting to look forward to it (as much as you can look forward to racing 13.1 miles).
    Any feedback/advice from previous Charleville runners?

Charleville 2013

Ah I might pop down along and see what's what

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I'm from Charleville and ran it a couple of years ago - it's well organised and there are plenty of refreshments after. The course is mostly flat so you can expect a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

tipping wrote: »
    Haven't done it but might do it this year, will wait until later in the week to make my mind up. But good course preview here.

http://munsterraceroutes.blogspot.ie/2013/01/cork037.html
    That was/is a really, really useful link, thanks a mill Tipping!
    Ah I might pop down along and see what's what

Aha see ye there B. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Ran it last year at steady pace and it is really fast, faster than any other half I've run. There is a few little hills along the way and a narrow country road section that rolls at 7-8 miles just after turning back in Kilmallock.

The first half is made up the biggest hill coming early and a few longish false flats. The fastest section of the course is at mile 10 where you rejoin the main road until 12.5 where you will be heading back down the false flats from the first 3 miles before a small climb of 3-400m heading towards the finishline. My advice would be to keep some juice for that middle rolling section and power home from there.

Great race and depth so you'll almost always have some company or shelter if the wind picks up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Looking forward to my inaugural Charleville, and looking forward also to being alongside TRR for at least 13.1 miles.

Not in the race mind. He's giving me a lift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Feck, I know I've left it a bit late but it looks like I'm stuck with forking out €98 for hotel BnB :eek:

• Advertisement

It's important to keep the head dry......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Charleville_Junction/long.html
    13'C. 1.5ml rain. Gentle breeze, 4 m/s from south-southeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Feck, I know I've left it a bit late but it looks like I'm stuck with forking out €98 for hotel BnB :eek:

If you're driving, Limerick isn't too far so you might get a better deal. Will need to be up a bit earlier though :)

chrislad wrote: »
    If you're driving, Limerick isn't too far so you might get a better deal. Will need to be up a bit earlier though :)

Thanks chrislad, probably going to get the train so Limerick's not really an option :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Won M65 in 75:39 also clocked 1:38 in Tullamore guy is a legend down our parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ger664 wrote: »
    Won M65 in 75:39 also clocked 1:38 in Tullamore guy is a legend down our parts.
    For wearing the hat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

For wearing the hat?

It is some bad hat, to paraphrase Roy Scheider.

I just love the fact that they're giving him a bottle of water in the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Charleville has been granted European Athletics Race Safety and Quality 5 Star status

From Cork Athletics:
    "The European Athletics Race Safety and Quality Standard is open to all accredited events in each European Athletics Member Federation.

Operating under the European Athletics Running For All mass participation banner, the scheme aims to recognise excellence in race organisation. It is not intended as a reflection of the quality of the field participating in a particular event, however one would hope that organisers who strive for improved organisational and safety standards, in their particular events, would, in turn, be recognised and rewarded by the athletes voting with their feet."

As another Boards member said, a few months ago, "This is the difference between a race and a run"

Great to see an Irish event, particularly a non-commercial, get recognition. Now it's up to YOUR event!

European Athletics Running For All website
    Charleville Half-Marathon race info, inc maps, video, entry link, on Cork Athletics website
    Charleville Half-Marathon website

Jebuz' thoughts on the course here

stolen from log ahem full permission not exactly applied for :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Heffarmy 73 dead. Krusty 73.03, 73.07 for myself and 73.27 for jebuz. davedanon 91:44. That's I'll know at the moment so apologies if I've missed anyone. Great course. Not a great day weather wise but course does give you some shelter. Brilliant event. I'll be back.

^^ 93:3xx for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Well done lads, that's some cracking running. Can't have been easy out in that rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

89:30ish for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    89:30ish for me

Was that a PMP effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

menoscemo wrote: »
    Was that a PMP effort?

I'm not sure what it was!!

93:3x for me too. Just ahead of A goal. Enjoyed that and finished just a few paces ahead of DG who it was nice to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Heffarmy 73 dead. Krusty 73.03, 73.07 for myself and 73.27 for jebuz. davedanon 91:44. That's I'll know at the moment so apologies if I've missed anyone. Great course. Not a great day weather wise but course does give you some shelter. Brilliant event. I'll be back.

Great running, were the 3 of you close throughout? - although another 8 secs faster and you could've got a free entry into the Waterford Half :pac:

There was a lot of bleeding nipples around after. I saw at least 3 guys from the same club with streaks down the tops. New tops or just the weather??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Heffarmy 73 dead. Krusty 73.03, 73.07 for myself and 73.27 for jebuz.

You know you've had a good day when you get into a David Rudisha tweet! https://mobile.twitter.com/rudishadavid/status/645624271272849408

Advertisement