Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charleville HM 2015

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have to confess to having been a little dubious of Michael Herlihy's claims, when he wrote/published this article, on the goals and achievements of Charleville Half Marathon, and was determined to verify for myself just how fast a course it was. Took me a couple of years, but I got down there finally, and it was very much worth the journey. A superb race that harks back to the standards of old, where a gathering of like-minded runners can work and race together to post some really good times. Though the course is very fast, the real achievement lies in managing to assemble a high quality field, so hats off to Michael (and the Charleville team) - in this age of short-cuts and cashing-in, they're providing an example of how things should be done. It's everything that the Rock 'n' Roll/national half marathon isn't - a great racing experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

You know you've had a good day when you get into a David Rudisha tweet! https://mobile.twitter.com/rudishadavid/status/645624271272849408

ha ha that's feckin brilliant! Well done all!

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Great running, were the 3 of you close throughout? - although another 8 secs faster and you could've got a free entry into the Waterford Half :pac:
    Myself, TRR and Jebus ran most of the race together. Didn't see Heffsarmy until 300m from the finish line, when he went rocketing past.

Happy enough with the result, but two seconds faster (73:01 chip time) and I'd have been delighted. I know two seconds is nothing, but there's this ever-present anxiousness that I might never be in this shape again and a 72 minute (and change) half marathon is a time I'd be happy to retire with. I seem to say that every year though. Getting a shout of encouragement from a 62 minute half-marathoner, 800m from the finish line put's everything into perspective though!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Myself, TRR and Jebus ran most of the race together. Didn't see Heffsarmy until 300m from the finish line, when he went rocketing past.

Happy enough with the result, but two seconds faster (73:01 chip time) and I'd have been delighted. I know two seconds is nothing, but there's this ever-present anxiousness that I might never be in this shape again and a 72 minute (and change) half marathon is a time I'd be happy to retire with. I seem to say that every year though. Getting a shout of encouragement from a 62 minute half-marathoner, 800m from the finish line put's everything into perspective though!

I was intrigued watching TRR and Jebuz race it out, Jebuz took a very early lead TRR paced it perfectly, before I knew it there was 300m to go ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Anyone know how Outside did, or have a link to the results?

Tnx

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Anyone know how Outside did, or have a link to the results?

Tnx

TbL

http://www.sportsplits.com/Home/QuickResults?clientId=74&raceId=99&raceName=Charleville%20Half%20Marathon

that should work

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Heffarmy 73 dead. Krusty 73.03, 73.07 for myself and 73.27 for jebuz. davedanon 91:44. That's I'll know at the moment so apologies if I've missed anyone. Great course. Not a great day weather wise but course does give you some shelter. Brilliant event. I'll be back.

Great running guys!

Ouch for Jebuz though...getting chicked right at the end! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Ososlo wrote: »

Tnx O.

Outside finished with a 1.19:11, nice work.

Great running by Boardsies down there today

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

83:27 for myself. I'd trained for and would have been happy with somewhere around 85 minutes, but for a laugh I decided to try and stay with the 80 minute pace group. Stuck with them to about halfway, they started pulling away and I blew up at around 9 miles. Went through the last 5k in over 20 minutes. But, at least it was a learning experience on the value of pacing longer races properly.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

80' 26" for me. Found the section on the country road into the wind tough but happy out with the result. Started steady and chased the 80 min pacers from half way - Nice shower and swim in park hotel afters as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Outside

Tnx O.

Outside finished with a 1.19:11, nice work.

Great running by Boardsies down there today

TbL

Thanks TbL, such a great event, well worth the trip from Galway. Happy with the run, full steam ahead now for Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Really happy with it

Beat my previous half marathon time by 14 mins and had some great craic with the wibblies all the way around

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice picture here with some familiar faces depicting the effort being made to run a 73 half.
    12004040_958886397490523_6385694328005100842_n.jpg?oh=c58442a7c8d4e1cfb606d4e309d80386&oe=565E796F

Taken from the Ireland through a lens facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

A minute and change behind, all on his lonelio was this chap, Eau Rouge on here who has made great strides in the last couple of years and who could have some improvement yet.

oa6mgo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Ah shucks, thanks Itziger. I hadn't seen that photo of my ugly mug. Im guessing that was taken at the hump back bridge just before 11 mile mark.
    (its looks relatively dry...I can tell you it certainly wasn't)

Yep, great race organised by Michael O'H and North Cork AC.

During a couple of the longer straight stretches, I could just about make out yere group up ahead lads. I might join ye next year if you could hang on for me? I was on my tod for the whole thing.
    Closest I could get was a quick chat with Krusty at the finish line!

Well done on some superb performances lads.

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    Ah shucks, thanks Itziger. I hadn't seen that photo of my ugly mug. Im guessing that was taken at the hump back bridge just before 11 mile mark.
    (its looks relatively dry...I can tell you it certainly wasn't)

Yep, great race organised by Michael O'H and North Cork AC.

During a couple of the longer straight stretches, I could just about make out yere group up ahead lads. I might join ye next year if you could hang on for me? I was on my tod for the whole thing.
    Closest I could get was a quick chat with Krusty at the finish line!

Well done on some superb performances lads.
    It was good to chat to you briefly afterwards. Did you say you were doing Dublin this year?

It was good to chat to you briefly afterwards. Did you say you were doing Dublin this year?

No Dublin for me this year im afraid. I wont know what to do with myself on October Bank Holiday weekend...I already have an uneasy feeling about it. Might end up at the Jazz in Cork for a change.

I decided after London this year that I was taking at least a year off from this marathon craic. The aim is to come back and do a decent marathon in Berlin 2016.
    I want to spend 12 months improving everything from 5k to Half Marathon first before starting the Berlin Plan in May next year from a faster base.

That's the theory part!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    No Dublin for me this year im afraid. I wont know what to do with myself on October Bank Holiday weekend...I already have an uneasy feeling about it. Might end up at the Jazz in Cork for a change.

I decided after London this year that I was taking at least a year off from this marathon craic. The aim is to come back and do a decent marathon in Berlin 2016.
    I want to spend 12 months improving everything from 5k to Half Marathon first before starting the Berlin Plan in May next year from a faster base.

That's the theory part!

A bit of cross country this winter would be a good start, ER.

I'm very interested to see what you're capable of with some real training under your belt. I don't think you're a great fan of predictions, but I am! Especially for other people ;)

Having seen your progress over the last 3 or 4 years I'd say about 1.12 for the Half and 2.35 for the Full. Can I set a reminder to myself to check this in October 2017?

Itziger wrote: »
    A bit of cross country this winter would be a good start, ER.

I'm very interested to see what you're capable of with some real training under your belt. I don't think you're a great fan of predictions, but I am! Especially for other people ;)

Having seen your progress over the last 3 or 4 years I'd say about 1.12 for the Half and 2.35 for the Full. Can I set a reminder to myself to check this in October 2017?

Ooops forgot to mention the initial cross country phase. Bought my 1st pair of spikes a couple of weeks ago.
    Your right im not a big fan of predictions...especially for myself. Id love to run 6min miles in marathon.
    I remember having a few pints with the gang here after London 2013, Krusty & Kiely Unusual had just run 2:37 or thereabouts together and I was (still am) just in awe of the achievement. I you offered me that kind of time in this lifetime id bite the hand off you.
    For now its just ticking boxes in terms of goal times for shorter distances on the way to Berlin 2016.

Advertisement