Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herbs in September

Options
  • 14-09-2015 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi. I have a small raised herb box, 5'X3', and had some success with it this summer growing coriander, parsley, lettus and some mint.
    What can I grow/sow in late Sept early Oct outside.
    Also, what herbs can I grow inside?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Is your mint and parsley gone already?

Rosemary is a great one for all year round. Very useful one too if you like to cook with it. Other hardy perennials include thyme, sage, lavender, juniper, chamomile. Only grow what you want to eat though!

My parsley and mint usually do go happily overwinter, as well as chives.

What do you like to eat? You can grow absolutely any herb indoors. Lemongrass etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I've found oregano just keeps on going year round, but it can get a little large for a box. Ours is in a flower bed. Sage will probably also get too large for what you want, but again just keeps on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

May I butt in please? My parsley in the garden has gone very yellow. Will it grow again next year? Any advice please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Parsley is typically an annual. I've once had a plant survive a very mild winter, but generally, it will start dying back about now and be in the compost by the end of the month. If it lasts through October, you're doing well. It doesn't regrow from the roots. You need to plant new every year.

Advertisement