Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundations Inspection

Options
  • 14-09-2015 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    We have purchased a site with 9 year old foundations on it. We are hoping to build our house using some/all of the foundations as a means to saving on costs. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations as to how we should proceed? Will we need an engineers inspection report to test their viability? How much would we be expected to pay for this? Plus does anyone know if its feasible to add on or remove part of the pre-existing foundations (bear in mind they are laid 9 years ago) without compromising them??

I appreciate any advice anyone has on this as a quote for e1500 has been given to us for an engineers report, which I thought was excessive!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Grehoe555 wrote: »
    Hi,
    We have purchased a site with 9 year old foundations on it. We are hoping to build our house using some/all of the foundations as a means to saving on costs. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations as to how we should proceed? Will we need an engineers inspection report to test their viability? How much would we be expected to pay for this? Plus does anyone know if its feasible to add on or remove part of the pre-existing foundations (bear in mind they are laid 9 years ago) without compromising them??

I appreciate any advice anyone has on this as a quote for e1500 has been given to us for an engineers report, which I thought was excessive!

The engineer has to stand over the existing design and put his PI insurance on the line for something that somebody else done 9 years ago so I'd imagine he is reflecting the risk in his quote.

Who is singing off on the full house for you? Can they not inspect the foundations? Who is preparing your construction drawings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

€1500 sounds cheap for an Engineer to put his insurance on the line certifying a foundation that was installed 9 years ago that he didn't design, supervise or see during construction.

If the house cracks in future due to weak foundations will you be expecting the new Engineer's insurance company to pay for the damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

Grehoe555 wrote: »

Ask the enginner to roll all up into an overall design fee. You may get some economy then.

But as a stand alone service that fee is not excessive for reasons others have stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....exposed foundations for 9 years means they were exposed to http://http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/coldspell10.pdf and this

....I'd want a really good inspection and maybe a core, to eliminate any potential for frost damage.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Grehoe555

kceire wrote: »
    The engineer has to stand over the existing design and put his PI insurance on the line for something that somebody else done 9 years ago so I'd imagine he is reflecting the risk in his quote.

Who is singing off on the full house for you? Can they not inspect the foundations? Who is preparing your construction drawings?

Thanks for your reply, our architect is preparing drawings but will hire this engineer on our behalf for this amount. So its adding to the overall architects fee. I thought that perhaps if we went independently with our own engineer that we might save some money on the e1500 quote. But perhaps that I a fair figure, given the fact this engineer will be standing over foundations laid by someone else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement