Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with Smart Comments

Options
  • 14-09-2015 2:38pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

First time poster so please go easy on me. Recently I've been lucky enough to welcome our second daughter to the family, to be completely honest I'm over the moon that she's a girl and when she was born I initially thought she was a boy and was a bit disappointed. I've come across a couple of eejits over the last couple of days with their smart comments about having girls, things like "at least my mikey works right" (he has a boy) and "you'll have to go again for the boy", normally I'll give as good as I get but I don't know how to respond to them, I just ignored them but I was wondering if anything has any advice for appropriate responses?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Well that's just it - they're eejits. Take no heed of them is all I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Just smile and nod. If you'd two boys they'd be saying the exact same thing only about having/trying for a grl. There's absolutely nothing personal in it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Tell your friend he's a dick. As for the others just ignore. Best way forward.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What an idiot:(
    Ignore him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

We had three girls before we had a boy and my husband endured a comment or two from members of my family about the same thing (ironically one of them also had only girls). My advice is to ignore also. Rise above it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Agreed with the other posters - those guys just sound like idiots. But unfortunately the one about having to go again for the other gender is a very popular one.
    Think you need to have a few replies ready to roll out to them:
    "At least she's healthy and happy so I've no complaints"
    "I'm blessed amongst women in my house"
    "I'm going to get my man-den in order!"
    "I'll have a shotgun ready if any boys go near my precious daughters"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

You can't go wrong with "go f*ck yourself".

Edited to add:

It occurs to me that you might be more polite and even-tempered than I, in which case may I suggest" yeah we saw how your boy turned out and decided not to risk it".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'd be far from polite, in fact I would be 1 of the quickest normally with a come back, this 1 did hit a nerve though, I'll just turn the other cheek now and if they keep at it I'll turn their cheek ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

I've two daughters too! As a joke on the 2nd one I asked the midwife could she "check again". Twas grand.

Got the usual "sissy mickey" etc and it's waters off a ducks back to be honest...maybe I'm too thick to pay any heed.

However...I do have "a relation" who's a monumental bellend at the best of times and when this person made the above remark my response was two fold...

1. Any gobs**te can make a boy, it takes skill and craft to create a little girl.

2. (Aimed at gobs**te above)
    Did you know there's 2 types of fuc*in eejits in the world...& your both of them.
    Enjoy your 2nd girl pal. Wear earplugs and say g'luck to what's left of your sanity! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

You'll never win with people like that, I had a girl in April after previously having a boy & all I heard was how I DIDN'T have to go again now I had one of each, like it's anyone else's business when my family is complete.
    As it happens 2 was always going to be enough for us regardless of the genders we had, healthy happy kids was always our goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Ms2011 wrote: »
    You'll never win with people like that, I had a girl in April after previously having a boy & all I heard was how I DIDN'T have to go again now I had one of each, like it's anyone else's business when my family is complete.
    As it happens 2 was always going to be enough for us regardless of the genders we had, healthy happy kids was always our goal.

A friend heard the weirdest one ever a few years back. He had a daughter, then a son and was with a friend who also had a daughter, then a son. They went together to congratulate a mutual friend who had just had his first child, a boy. This third friend proceeded to mock them both about how jealous they must be that his first child was a boy, while they both only managed to have a boy second.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

God, people are horrible aren't they?I'm one of four girls, and I have a daughter and one on the way.Couldn't care less what the sex is.
    Some great responses here.Also pointing out that nobody has an inch of control over this is a good one.Mainly turning a deaf ear is the best though I'd say.Once the baby is healthy, that's all that matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Go full gormless, poker faced robot on them and make them explain themselves. It sucks the glee right out of idiots when they're being rude.

"At least my mickey works"
    "...sorry, I don't get you, what's that about your mickey?"
    "...eh, it works. My kid is a boy"
    "Are you saying there's something wrong with my newborn daughter there?"
    "What...no...it's just..."
    "Yeah, that's pretty ignorant even for you. Hopefully you didn't squirt your **** sense of humour into the kid along with your gender"

Or something to that effect. Just something that makes them explain themselves and makes the joke super awkward.

(Wtf to the 'sissy mickey' thing. People think like that? :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Wtf! What a pile of jackasses. Who on earth insults someone's newborn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Srsly? People need to cop the fcuk on!

Do your friends live in the 19C???

I can't believe this crâp still goes on!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I can't believe the ignorance of some people.

I realise that it might feel natural to answer a smart comment with a smart response, but I wouldn't dignify such nasty and potentially hurtful remarks with any banter in return. That'll make them think it's OK to continue to make such comments to other new parents.

I'd be more likely to respond as Miss Flitworth suggested above. Make it clear how inappropriate and unfunny their comments are. Might make them think twice before making similar comments again.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

I can't believe the ignorance of some people.

I realise that it might feel natural to answer a smart comment with a smart response, but I wouldn't dignify such nasty and potentially hurtful remarks with any banter in return. That'll make them think it's OK to continue to make such comments to other new parents.

I'd be more likely to respond as Miss Flitworth suggested above. Make it clear how inappropriate and unfunny their comments are. Might make them think twice before making similar comments again.

Agree with this. A smart comment back and they go away thinking how funny they are. A silent stare or serious comment back and they 'might' think twice about it in future...

I have 2 girls and so far haven't gotten any comments though I know my dad is the type to not think twice about it so it's just a matter of time.. I'll just say I'm happy to have two happy and healthy children thank you very much😊
    I thought ppl had more cop on these days.. To me it's a bit like asking couples when they're going to have kids without knowing if they might have been trying for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

For those who are in disbelief that people can make smart comments like that, believe me they can and they do. They try to make it seem like jist and banter but the words stay with you long after.
    My husband's friend is like that. He has on a couple of occasions in the past year joked about the fact that we are not pregnant. I have one child from a previous relationship and we have no plans for another for the foreseeable future. And it's said to me, not to my husband. Things like "at least I know mine is in working order". "If you need some help, you know, wink wink, cos he mustn't be able to". It is said in jist but it's just not something you joke about to people. The reason I haven't responded is cos he catches me off guard and I am literally in shock. I think of a million responses after when the moment has passed or he's gone.

I can understand why the OP hasn't responded to the comments - you get such a shock, you cannot believe someone has actually said something like that to you, you can't believe your ears! It's only when you dwell on it afterwards that it really gets to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭JanaMay

Congrats on your two lovely daughters OP.

When I was pregnant on my first, and knew she was a girl already, a semi-stranger (father of one 13-yr-old boy) congratulated me but when I told him it was a girl he asked me if I'd 'go again straight away for a boy'! I was still pregnant!!! :eek:

Pregnant on my second, I was secretly hoping for another girl just because it would make things easier - eg they could share a room for longer, had all the clothes etc needed.

Some people have no cop on. Just enjoy your lovely family and pay no heed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

I'm in shock reading the posts. I'm amazed and appalled in equal measures, that this is a thing.

My wife is due our first child in January. I would go full nuclear at anybody that would utter such disgusting, insensitive remarks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

The interesting thing about this scenario is that even though it's obviously politically very uncool to think like that now... it shows just how hard it is to get away from the way society functioned for many centuries.

In our rural and many other rural societies, boys offered the promise of help to make a living, an heir and so on. Whilst girls offered the promise of children to continue the human race but also the expense of a dowry etc.

We largely don't think like that now (I'm sure some do) but it's still deep rooted in the psyche and pops out in odd ways

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭JanaMay

You have a point BarryD, a lot of it is probably a throwback to the past. But even in modern, urban settings it's often considered that baby girls are for the Mammies to use as dolls and play dress-up, and boys are there to learn how to play football with Daddy.

It's really hard to bring children up to be who they want to be, though my parents managed it back in the early seventies. And we're so glad they did. I played football with my dad, and learnt to use power tools while my brother got his excellent cooking skills from our mam. My other sister wasn't interested in anything my parents did. :D

I don't want to go off-topic but I really do feel that there is an undue amount of pressure on little girls to be 'princesses' and on little boys to be 'warriors'. Let them decide for themselves I say. Every child is unique: CastleDaughter2 is not going to be a carbon copy of CastleDaughter1. I have one friend who has 3 daughters and another who has 3 sons. None of the children in each family, regardless of whether they have penises or vulvas, are the same as their siblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Clareman wrote: »
    Hi all,

First time poster so please go easy on me. Recently I've been lucky enough to welcome our second daughter to the family, to be completely honest I'm over the moon that she's a girl and when she was born I initially thought she was a boy and was a bit disappointed. I've come across a couple of eejits over the last couple of days with their smart comments about having girls, things like "at least my mikey works right" (he has a boy) and "you'll have to go again for the boy", normally I'll give as good as I get but I don't know how to respond to them, I just ignored them but I was wondering if anything has any advice for appropriate responses?

Can I ask why you were initially disappointed when you thought it was a boy? I have one boy and hopefully will be blessed with another child but is it that having a girl already made you disappointed in the fact it might be a boy? I really don't care what I have to be honest but get the remarks of oh you can't leave him on his own and you need to have another one soon etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Rose35 wrote: »
    Can I ask why you were initially disappointed when you thought it was a boy? I have one boy and hopefully will be blessed with another child but is it that having a girl already made you disappointed in the fact it might be a boy? I really don't care what I have to be honest but get the remarks of oh you can't leave him on his own and you need to have another one soon etc.

When our first came along I was out of work and was at home with her for most of the first year of her life, my wife works weekends and evenings so I'm a "single" parent for a lot of the week, I've great fun with her and she insists on me doing her hair/nails, I think my initial feeling was due to the fact that I would be missing out on all that as well as the fact that I was praying that the baby would come out healthy just like her sister.

I hadn't much sleep the night before and it was only a fleeting emotion, I'm over the moon now to have my family home and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Whenever I ask my boy(3) would he like a sister or brother he always says a sister, I always find this interesting coming from a boy. As long as their healthy is the main thing. Congrats by the way.

Rose35 wrote: »
    Whenever I ask my boy(3) would he like a sister or brother he always says a sister, I always find this interesting coming from a boy. As long as their healthy is the main thing. Congrats by the way.

We used to ask ours as well and it changed every day, really we just wanted a healthy baby

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    For those who are in disbelief that people can make smart comments like that, believe me they can and they do. They try to make it seem like jist and banter but the words stay with you long after.
    My husband's friend is like that. He has on a couple of occasions in the past year joked about the fact that we are not pregnant. I have one child from a previous relationship and we have no plans for another for the foreseeable future. And it's said to me, not to my husband.
    Things like "at least I know mine is in working
    order". "If you need some help, you know, wink
    wink, cos he mustn't be able to". It is said in jist
    but it's just not something you joke about to
    people. The reason I haven't responded is cos
    he catches me off guard and I am literally in
    shock. I think of a million responses after when
    the moment has passed or he's gone.

I can understand why the OP hasn't responded to the comments - you get such a shock, you cannot believe someone has actually said something like that to you, you can't believe your ears! It's only when you dwell on it afterwards that it really gets to you.

Has he got kids? Tell him to be careful...karma can be a bitch.We had one friend like that.He was like that until they started trying for number 2 and it took over a year along with some very expensive hormome treatments to help it along.
    There's not a word out of him now.

I was talking to a proper friend this evening and I told him about the comment, he told of a mutual friend who was being "slagged" for having 2 girls by a guy with no kids his response was "my stuff works, if herself wants some she knows where she can get some", yerman was laughed out of the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

People are unreal what they say. My father in law - yes, father in law - said that he finally had a true grandson when our son was born - because his other grandson has a double barrelled name and therefore isn't a true carrier of the name..... Unbelievable.

When we had our daughter after two boys we were asked did we "go for her" because we wanted a girl - almost implying our second boy was a disappointment so we had to go again really quickly to try and right that wrong.... People are unreal. We wanted a third CHILD - regardless of sex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

My siblings had 5 girls before a boy. Everyone was happy that a healthy baby was born. Sure the odds were a little bit skewed, but everyone loved the babies for what they were, not what they might be.
    Clareman wrote: »
    "at least my mikey works right"
    As if yours doesn't? [Feel free to slap me if it doesn't :)]

Let him know that it is the mother's hormones that decide whether the egg accepts a male or female sperm.

Advertisement