Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nasturtium pods

Options
  • 14-09-2015 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Just pulled up some nasturtium plants that are past their best, but have a few remaining which still look good. Hundreds of the pods now sit on the soil. The label said HA so I thought I just thought I had to dig them out when they are finished. Do they self-seed? I don't want them to grow in that area next year so should I pick all the pods up? Can the pods be re-sown next spring? I wish the labels would be more informative for people like myself, lacking in knowledge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes! Nasturtium plants are self seeding. Once you have nasturtiums you will always have nasturtiums :) If you don't want them again collect as many seeds as you can, but be prepared to pull up seedlings next year also. You can save the seeds for next year, allow them to dry before storing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks Looksee. I already have other flowers that self-seed and I can accept them because they are just single flowers, but nasturtiums can take up a lot of space. I took up loads of pods today but more to do tomorrow. My back won't like it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I left a lot of nasturtium seeds down when we planted them, as I was happy to have them self seed for the following year, and it seems like the slugs and/or birds dealt with them as we didn't have any come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

If you are right that's good news to my ears. I seem to manage to feed the 5000 slugs and snails every year in my garden. Pity I can't manage to feed my family as well from the same garden. Darn slugs, and pesky birds! They had almost all my lettuce this year.

Advertisement