Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish translations for Maths

• 14-09-2015 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a student in senior cycle who attended a gaelscoil for first three years and is struggling with the English words I'm using in Maths especially since project Maths is so wordy. She could translate word by word I guess, but does anyone have a list of words and translations? I know my chemistry book has a foclóir at the back presumably for a Gaelscoil without the publication of an Irish book, so I guess I'm looking for something similar.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a student in senior cycle who attended a gaelscoil for first three years and is struggling with the English words I'm using in Maths especially since project Maths is so wordy. She could translate word by word I guess, but does anyone have a list of words and translations? I know my chemistry book has a foclóir at the back presumably for a Gaelscoil without the publication of an Irish book, so I guess I'm looking for something similar.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know what text you're using but there's an Irish language version of Text & Tests called Teacs & Trialacha. It's the same book just in Irish, I picked up a copy of the first year one on adverts a couple of years ago to help a first year who was having similar difficulties. He used to use the two books side by side and fairly quickly didn't need the Irish one anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Thanks for the reply. Murphys law; I use Active Maths. I might try emailing Folens, see if they have any resources alongside Active Maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Murphys law; I use Active Maths. I might try emailing Folens, see if they have any resources alongside Active Maths.

That's typical alright! Folens may have something similar but I can't say I've ever seen one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could write to a Gaelscoil and ask them to pass your query on to their Maths teachers.

**edit Found this:
    http://www.acmhainn.ie/tearmai/eolaiocht.htm

possibly much more than you'd need.

spurious wrote: »
    You could write to a Gaelscoil and ask them to pass your query on to their Maths teachers.

**edit Found this:
    http://www.acmhainn.ie/tearmai/eolaiocht.htm

possibly much more than you'd need.

That's a great help spurious, thanks a mill!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Most Gaelscoileanna try to ensure children have term in Irish and in English.Does Spurious' reply have what you need?

Most Gaelscoileanna try to ensure children have term in Irish and in English.Does Spurious' reply have what you need?

They're science words, but there's plenty of Maths phrases in there too. I'll email the local gaelscoil in the morning as well. She's a bright child and she'll get used to the English very quickly I'm sure but the vocabulary in the "number" section just seemed daunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

The Foclóir Eolaíochta (science dictionary) is mainly a dictionary of chemistry, physics and maths terms which would probably be suitable. Also, just because the books aren't exactly the same doesn't mean getting Téacs 7 Trialacha (Text & Tests) won't help. If anything, it might be an added advantage because the student will have to match the maths with the terms rather than just match the page numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Advertisement