Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MA Social Work

• 14-09-2015 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

I know there has been a few threads on this, but no harm to have an more updated one :)

It says that you need 6 months experience before you apply. What sort of experience has past or current students done?
    I'm a youth leader in a youth club. Will that go down well? I'm not sure if I
    would be able to do the kind of volunteering the Samaratans do :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 counting_sheep

Hello Danube,

I am applying for the MA in Social Work for 2016.

I called the course coordinator earlier this year to find out more about the experience required. You need 6 months (960 hours) in total. The course coordinator advised that only direct contact with service users would be relevant. For example, your time working directly with young people in the youth group would be counted towards the 960 hours, but any time not directly working with them wouldn't count (for example, writing grant applications, being on a board of directors).

She was very helpful when I called her so I would suggest contacted her directly with any queries. Her contact details are on the webpage for the course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭azure

Hello Danube,

I am applying for the MA in Social Work for 2016.

I called the course coordinator earlier this year to find out more about the experience required. You need 6 months (960 hours) in total. The course coordinator advised that only direct contact with service users would be relevant. For example, your time working directly with young people in the youth group would be counted towards the 960 hours, but any time not directly working with them wouldn't count (for example, writing grant applications, being on a board of directors).

She was very helpful when I called her so I would suggest contacted her directly with any queries. Her contact details are on the webpage for the course
    If I volunteer for just 3 hours a week, doesn't that mean I would have to be volunteering for 7 years before I could apply as that's how long it would take to fulfil the 960 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 counting_sheep

azure wrote: »
    If I volunteer for just 3 hours a week, doesn't that mean I would have to be volunteering for 7 years before I could apply as that's how long it would take to fulfil the 960 hours?

Yes Azure. it would take quite a while. I have about 1500 hours over the last 5 years. I'm applying with that so we will see what happens :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Came across this thread as am thinking of applying for the masters next year. I currently have a college seminar with Paul Garett who is one of the people over the masters and is one of the people who interviews the potential students. Today he told us some info about the application process so I thought it may be useful to leave it here. There are only 20 places available and over 150 apply for these positions. Your personal statement is what will land you the interview for your spot, many think that the statement is not important and that not much effort is needed but this is what they use to weed out potential applicants. Also make sure to write about what you have learned in your work experience and how you will apply this knowledge to your masters degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Emer95x

Hi,

I am just finishing my BA in Psychology and considering a career in social work.
    I have some experience as a student mentor at NUIG but besides that I don't have much experience. I worked in the hospital giving food to patients in the oncology ward. Although it seems like a mere food service job, we really interacted with the patients to make sure they had everything they needs. Which also meant communicating with the nurses. I'm wondering would that contribute to experience? Or is it not relevant?

• Advertisement
Advertisement