Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf Half Marathon - 21st November 2015

Options
  • 14-09-2015 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Anyone doing this? Signed up the other day, hoping for little wind but knowing that area like I do, it's highly unlikely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Hopefully. I'm injured at the moment, but with a bit of luck I'll be able to pick it up again in a week or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Is this one worth running? Is it well organised etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I've signed up for it. Haven't done it before so don't really know anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Its one of my least favourite. I find it quite boring and the sand horrible to run on. I've never done a decent time at this race. But I'll probably do it again this year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Phoole wrote: »
    Its one of my least favourite. I find it quite boring and the sand horrible to run on. I've never done a decent time at this race. But I'll probably do it again this year! :)

Will probably look at doing this also. I like the area and running around there so will see. Great place to run in the summer but in the Winter if windy and rainy its a different story altogether.

Done some beach running for the Sandymount night run 10km earlier this year and found it better than I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

For me weather was easier in novembers race, July 2014 vs November 2014 only about a minute in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Whats the best way to sign up for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Plan on doing this, but have not yet signed up. I will have to get my skates on soon. Will be my first half marathon and my third race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Just signed up. My first half marathon so we'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Local race for me but can't see myself ever doing it. Lovely route scenery wise but too much sand, too much risk of headwind and too much interference from the concurrent 5 mile race. Pity. Would love to see a good coastal HM in the city but this isn't the one for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Murph_D wrote: »
    Local race for me but can't see myself ever doing it. Lovely route scenery wise but too much sand, too much risk of headwind and too much interference from the concurrent 5 mile race. Pity. Would love to see a good coastal HM in the city but this isn't the one for me.

Its a real shame though - if they could get a few road closures sorted there's a whole mix of routes available to them ( taking in Raheny, Killester, maybe Baldoyle etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Whats the best way to sign up for this?
    http://www.runclontarf.com/index.php/enter/half-marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Doing this one as my second half marathon so looking forward to it.

How much of the route is on sand? I am assuming that the sand will be very compact as well.

Bigger worry for me, and I have only just seen in the last few day, is half marathon walkers start time 9:20am, racers 10am. Easy walking pace for many could be 12-15 minute for km maybe slower. So the faster runners will hit a wall of walkers already after 4-5km. No idea how many actually walk, as we can't judge by pace alone. No idea how spread out they would be at this point or numbers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I've done this a couple of times. Its a nice enough route along the coast, but running on the sand can be difficult, in particular the short sections on very soft sand getting on and off the beach.
    The wind can be a killer too.

Bigger worry for me, and I have only just seen in the last few day, is half marathon walkers start time 9:20am, racers 10am. Easy walking pace for many could be 12-15 minute for km maybe slower. So the faster runners will hit a wall of walkers already after 4-5km. No idea how many actually walk, as we can't judge by pace alone. No idea how spread out they would be at this point or numbers either.

Wall of walkers? Wouldn't worry, tends not to happen. Good to let walkers off early, works well for them and for runners too. It's the five milers you have to worry about on this route (not that they are at fault, they are just doing the race they signed up for).

Duanington wrote: »
    Its a real shame though - if they could get a few road closures sorted there's a whole mix of routes available to them ( taking in Raheny, Killester, maybe Baldoyle etc)

I don't think expensive road closures are part of the organiser's business plan. That road HM that I would certainly love to do will have to wait :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I had a personal disaster for this one in July so not too keen to do it again.

Besides what happened to me there were other things I didn't like - echo who said that the course is boring (but I do my training along here a lot so that's probably why it doesn't appeal to me!).
    Also didn't think there were enough water stations.
    Running on the beach was awful. (I've ran the Sandymount 10k which had sand and it was fine - Clontarf sand stretch is a different beast!)

Wall of walkers? Wouldn't worry, tends not to happen. Good to let walkers off early, works well for them and for runners too. It's the five milers you have to worry about on this route (not that they are at fault, they are just doing the race they signed up for).

5 miler myself in July gone. Although I was admittedly one of the faster 5 milers, I can I imagine if people push themselves too hard they could end up walking back along the wooden bridge, and onto the seafront. I imagine it is most challenging for those guys at the front of the pack in the half.

If I can get myself fit again in time. :p Will be a stretch. Today I considered going to Clonakilty in the beginning of December if I have got the miles in my legs to the half in Clontarf.
    I don't even know where Clonakilty is, I know, it is Cork.
    I'm that sore about all the running I missed. To think I used to dread walking an extra 700m when my first choice of bus didn't show.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

Found it quite boring to be honest as it's an 'out and back' loop. Didn't find the sand or winds that bad but probably was lucky with the day I ran it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Finglas Flier

Have done this Summer and Winter. Last Winter they supplied a double Decker bus for runners to sit on as it was quite Baltic outside. Lovely and warm. It is a very exposed course as you might expect beside the sea. Two years ago, did this in Summer on the tail end of a storm. Got completely sand blasted on the route back in . Good exfoliation mind you for free.
    Glasses may be an idea to bring along if the weather is windy. Lots of loose sand. Walkers are not really an issue in the November run. To cold for many.

You can not register on the morning. They are pretty sharp about that as the course is open to pedestrians so bear that in mind. But it is flat and it is organized well enough..

A nice end of season run...am doing it again... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Its a faboulous course. Ive done many marathons on it. The beach section can be tough and it can be windy but that's part of the appeal for a lot of people. There are tonnes of road races out there for people to do. its great to have a beach/trail section in some races. If you go out a little further away from the soft sand you can get very runnable sand. I don't think a wall of walkers is gonna be a problem as the beach is huge and you probably wont even notice them. As for road closures. The red tape and expense can be brutal.
    Id deffo recommend this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Doing this one myself. Did both the Summer and Winter events for a few years now, so I suppose I couldn't resist...

Given its an out an back race, Its great (some times not so great) to see the lead the top guys have by half way...

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

IVE DID THIS IN THE PAST AND GOT MY HM PB... very small section of soft sand but once you go out to the running part its absolutely fine to run on. very well organised race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Finglas Flier

Not quite sold out yet...but getting there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

I have registered for this. First time doing this one so im a bit apprehensive. Wondering where to park, what time to leave the house, will there be toilets, will the queues be huge. Will I be freezing while waiting to start (I already know the answer to that one). Once I get running I will be grand. Already looking forward to the soup at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Joleigh wrote: »
    I have registered for this. First time doing this one so im a bit apprehensive. Wondering where to park, what time to leave the house, will there be toilets, will the queues be huge. Will I be freezing while waiting to start (I already know the answer to that one). Once I get running I will be grand. Already looking forward to the soup at the end.

The car park opposite the bottom of Hollybrook road will fill up pretty fast, but there is plenty of on street parking around Clontarf anyway, just give your self time, to park up and warmup.
    The race seems to be growing in popularity, I ran the first (summer one) years ago with only about 100 others, this one however will probably fill to capacity.
    As regards the weather, with the wrong conditions, it can be pretty unforgiving on the beach section out or back, which comprise of 1.6miles each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Not quite sold out yet...but getting there!!!

Are you involved in organising this one FF ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Baggirshorts

Looking forward to this race this weekend. I hope the weather stays calm. Did this a few years back in the Summer when there was a real storm blowing through.....Horrible on the beach that day...LOL..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Baggirshorts

Weather looks not to bad for Saturday...at the moment...
    NW breeze....with about 5*Celsius.....50% chance of a shower.....

So will be cold before the race......ah well....

Advertisement