Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf Half Marathon - 21st November 2015

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭meor

Signed up to do this tomorrow. Did 17km two weeks ago, couple of 5s and 10s since then, hoping that's enough! Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Baggirshorts

meor wrote: »
    Signed up to do this tomorrow. Did 17km two weeks ago, couple of 5s and 10s since then, hoping that's enough! Best of luck!
    Should be more then enough. Very flat course...but will be quite cold in the morning...
    Good luck to all participating in it...:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Should be more then enough. Very flat course...but will be quite cold in the morning...
    Good luck to all participating in it...:-)

Looking like it'll be a bit breezy too.

Good luck to yourself too.

Well, it wasn't too cold in the end, pre the race starting... The race started a little further down the sea front then normal. I think well over 3,000 runners/walkers for the events.... There was only a small bit of loose sand to contend with before running on the beach, which was firm enough under foot. North/Westerly breeze kept things cool enough for a while but then it seemed to drop away once you were off the beach.
    No rain or showers for the duration of the race, which was a bonus..:-)

I clocked my finishing time @ 1:41 (still waiting for the official time) which would be a PB for me at this distance by about 5 minutes but then this is a very flat course.

On a side note...I think I ran with a slight groin strain, which I had injured at work on Wednesday (never had that type of injury before..:-) )
    Running off the beach for the last time and I felt it get sore when I was running across the loose sand..but I wanted to get a sub 5 mpk for the race...so I just kept the pace going....

It's sore now but....I would say worth it....:-)

Congrats, good summary. Managed 1:50:57 for my first half, delighted. Well done all.

• Advertisement

Good running meor...very well done for your first.....

Congrats, good summary. Managed 1:50:57 for my first half, delighted. Well done all.

Congrats. Was less than a minute behind you myself, I'm a first timer too so pretty happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Really enjoyed today. The easiest half I've ever done but I'll put that down to the DCM training. That said, I didn't do a PB as I was nervous from previous experiences at this race where I've struggled, so I took it very handy on the way out. It felt great to be passing so many people on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Well done to all my CSH buddies :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Good conditions for the half today, bit of a breeze to contend with on the beach on the way back, and coming off the beach on the wooden bridge on the way back was tough enough as well. Aside from that the wind didn't really play a part so we were lucky.

Found it hard to get going for the first couple of km due to the crowds, not easy to get into a settled pace until 3km onwards, but after that it was grand. Wanted sub-1:50, so stuck just behind the pacers for about 4km. Decided I was feeling strong so left them and went on a bit further myself, just hovering over 5min/km pace for most of the rest of the race. Managed to up the pace quite a bit for the last 3km which I was delighted with as I have struggled in the final part of this distance before and came in at 1:46, a 4 min PB.

The soup was very welcome at the end as I started to cool down pretty quickly after finishing! Well organised in general, would do it again.

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    The soup was very welcome at the end as I started to cool down pretty quickly after finishing! Well organised in general, would do it again.

I missed the soup. Did a very quick warm down jog and then straight back into the car and home. Was cooling down quite quickly afterwards.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Just wanted to say thanks to the organisers. This was my second hm and i managed to run 1:57, my first time under 2 hours. Have to say I was surprised how clear the run was, I was expecting gridlock but found the whole run to be very clear ( that's probably due to the slower pace I was running)
    Great job again by the pacers, the encouragement really helped.

kin9pin wrote: »
    Just wanted to say thanks to the organisers. This was my second hm and i managed to run 1:57, my first time under 2 hours. Have to say I was surprised how clear the run was, I was expecting gridlock but found the whole run to be very clear ( that's probably due to the slower pace I was running)
    Great job again by the pacers, the encouragement really helped.
    Agreed, it was very well organised. I went out with the 2hr pacers for the first few k and I thought they were great. Funny and encouraging, can only imagine how good they wouldve been on the way back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Very well organised event and like a few have said thanks to all the event staff and marshals.

Found coming off the beach to the Clontarf Road tough on the way back. Just dipped under 1hr 45 with 1:44:47 so happy with that for my second half marathon.

Seriously considering the Dublin Marathon for 2016 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Really enjoyed that, great route and aside from the beach on the way back - it wasn't too cold.

Got a new PB of 1.47:44 - went too handy in the first half but will definitely do it next summer.

Well organised and loved the medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

I also really enjoyed yesterday, that was until 17k in, on the beach, my energy levels just completely crashed. I just kept saying to myself "get me off this F#####g beach" I have never felt that bad while running. But thanks to people at the end of the bridge and along the path back I finished it.

Overall, I did get a PB at 10K but it was a very poor run from me. The medal was class and the banana never tasted as good, my first but certainly not my last Clontarf half,

Thanks to the organisers and all the volunteers on the course without you guys theses races can't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Well done to all who made it out yesterday to the Clontarf half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

niallo32 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that, great route and aside from the beach on the way back - it wasn't too cold.

Got a new PB of 1.47:44 - went too handy in the first half but will definitely do it next summer.

Well organised and loved the medal.

I must have been just before you at 1.47.24. Really enjoyed the race except for the bridge on the way back which was quite windy and drained me for the last 3km. New PB though so happy with that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Has anyone seen any photos from the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Also managed a new PB 1:52:48 I took about 3 minutes off my previous; I managed to pace it fairly well and had loads in the tank for a brilliant sprint the last 150 or so metres. The training for DCM definitely helped the as the only bit I found tough was the wooden bridge coming back. The beach definitely seems to be the part to make good time as I found I got "boxed" in a fair number of times when in the cycle track.
    Apart from the cold hanging around at the start it was much nicer than the summer one and again really well organised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

Any sign of results???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

estariol wrote: »
    Any sign of results???

Results are up since Saturday afternoon at http://www.redtagtiming.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

PauloMN wrote: »
    Has anyone seen any photos from the day?
    http://racepix.com/races/Clontarf-Half-marathon-/1276

What would yourselves look at after doing a half marathon? I'll probably do a few runs over Xmas to keep the fitness up but don't really know where to go after that. I suppose join a running club!?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What would yourselves look at after doing a half marathon? I'll probably do a few runs over Xmas to keep the fitness up but don't really know where to go after that. I suppose join a running club!?

yes, join a club, train better, get faster

Advertisement