Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of opening an off licence, need feedback!

Options
  • 14-09-2015 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,
    I am thinking off opening an off licence and am currently preparing a business plan. I have an idea for location situated between two pubs in a small town the only other off licences in the town are in retail stores but are over 5km away. Has any body any experience in the area and can it be profitable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

If you've found the only town without a tesco or lidl neaeby its presumably only a matter of time until they start selling it at zero margin I would be very wary of signing a long lease. People are going to these places to do their main shop and will just pick up alcohol at the time geberally. But as with everything if you have the market pretty much to yourself and can dictate the price its always going to be profitable for a product that has such a steady stream of demand. It seems a very tough game to get into now really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

NotorEire wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am thinking off opening an off licence and am currently preparing a business plan. I have an idea for location situated between two pubs in a small town the only other off licences in the town are in retail stores but are over 5km away. Has any body any experience in the area and can it be profitable?

Do you have a publicans licence to attach to the property? Going rate being 50-70K depending who you ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

elastico wrote: »
    Do you have a publicans licence to attach to the property? Going rate being 50-70K depending who you ask.

That was during the recession. New Bars are starting to open in Dublin now and I think licences are closer to €80k.

OP I wouldnt open an offo. There is just too much competition in the market. Unless you are a big player eg OBriens, you really dont make that much on it. How can you compete with Tesco with 24 cans for €24? You cant.I know if alcohol is on special I will buy a fair amount of it just in case. The off license industry has been destroyed by Supermarkets

If the ban on below cost selling of alcohol happens, you might have a chance. But the law will got stricken down by the EU(they did it with cigarettes)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 thedave1989

Have you considered maybe talking to 1 of the pub owners and trying to incorporate an off licence into the pub, I know of pubs that have a separate door to an off licence, not sure how it works with licences but it might work out cheaper if you can run off the same licence. really dont have a clue how the licences work but my idea would be to run it as a spin off to the pub offering him a percentage of the profits or something along those lines.

Advertisement