Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung SSD Data Transfer Help.

Options
  • 14-09-2015 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi, I have just bought a new Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD for my laptop and I am trying to get all of my data from my current HDD transferred to my new SSD. I have put my SSD into an external enclosure and then connected it via USB to my laptop. I then installed Samsung's data migration software that came with the SSD. But when I go to transfer the data, the software does not pick up the SSD(the target disk). I saw something online about needing a sata to USB cable in order for the software to pick up the SSD. I do not have a sata to USB cable, so do you really need this and is there another way around this. I really want to get my SSD installed, rather than waiting a day or two to get the cable. Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

SW98 wrote: »
    Hi, I have just bought a new Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD for my laptop and I am trying to get all of my data from my current HDD transferred to my new SSD. I have put my SSD into an external enclosure and then connected it via USB to my laptop. I then installed Samsung's data migration software that came with the SSD. But when I go to transfer the data, the software does not pick up the SSD(the target disk). I saw something online about needing a sata to USB cable in order for the software to pick up the SSD. I do not have a sata to USB cable, so do you really need this and is there another way around this. I really want to get my SSD installed, rather than waiting a day or two to get the cable. Thanks for any replies.

Are you sure that's the right way to go about it? If you transfer the data on the SSD how are you going to install the OS afterwards? If it was me I'd take out the old drive and hook that into the enclosure. Pop you SSD into the laptop, install OS and then transfer data over from original HD. Of course before any of that I'd make sure I have a backup of all inportant data on another hd.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,413 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

mordeith wrote: »
    Are you sure that's the right way to go about it?

Yes, it is. The migration s/w will clone the HDD to the SSD, you then shutdown, remove the HDD, insert the SSD (including the spacer to stop it rattling around in the HDD space) and it will boot up. OP should have purchased the migration bundle which included the cable.
    mordeith wrote: »
    If it was me I'd take out the old drive and hook that into the enclosure. Pop you SSD into the laptop, install OS and then transfer data over from original HD. Of course before any of that I'd make sure I have a backup of all inportant data on another hd.

Easier said than done. Most people don't have OS installation CDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭SW98

Yes, but if you swap the drives first would the data migration software not pick the SSD up as the source drive then?

SW98 wrote: »
    Yes, but if you swap the drives first would the data migration software not pick the SSD up as the source drive then?

Well yeah, I think the way to go is to clone the drives first and then swap the drives. I think the data migration doesn't pick it up because it recognizes it as an external drive. Looks like I will have to get a sata to USB cable to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

I bought one of these disks a few weeks ago and like you wasn't expecting to need an additional cable. In the end I just installed the ssd and followed this guide. Machine is flying now.

http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

• Advertisement

kaltz wrote: »
    I bought one of these disks a few weeks ago and like you wasn't expecting to need an additional cable. In the end I just installed the ssd and followed this guide. Machine is flying now.

http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

Yeah I have downloaded the free version of easeus to backup and clone. I have just done a system backup as all my files seem to be on the same partition as everything else. But now when I go to clone, I select the source disk and then select the target disk, but after clicking next when I selected the target disk it shows the partitions that will be on the target disk and it has divided my 500GB SSD into a 257GB partition for Windows and a 205GB partition for recovery. How do I make the partitions the same as my current HDD. My current HDD is a 1TB and it has a 908GB partition for Windows and a 20GB partition for recovery. How do I make the SSD like that also.

I'm not sure how your "new" recovery partition isnt showing as the same size as your original recovery. When you are cloning did you tick the "Sector by Sector" clone option. When I ticked this I got some errors so try untick that one. I also did a Disk Defrag and Chksk before I ran Easeus as it was giving a few other errors.

I'm not sure how your "new" recovery partition isnt showing as the same size as your original recovery. When you are cloning did you tick the "Sector by Sector" clone option. When I ticked this I got some errors so try untick that one. I also did a Disk Defrag and Chksk before I ran Easeus as it was giving a few other errors.

No I didn't check the "Sector by Sector" clone option, but I just went ahead with the clone anyway. I think all you have to do is go to disk management and change the size of the partitions? Also how long did it take to clone your drive?

Took about an hour. Well worth it.

Took about an hour. Well worth it.

Yeah I have all done now and my SSD installed, but the only thing is that it doesn't give the option to increase my ''c'' drive partition, I have decreased my recovery partition to 25GB as I wanted it, but I want my ''C'' partition to have the remaining capacity. Now what I have is 257GB on my ''C'' partition, 25GB on my recovery partition and then 180GB unallocated. Anyone know how to solve this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement