Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beech hedging

Options
  • 14-09-2015 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi All

I got 80m of 4ft beech planted in March, in a double row about 2ft apart, the all seemed to take well but as the summer went on most of them have turned brown and seemed to die off,

I did water them but did miss the odd few days here and there,

There isn't that much grass or weeds around them,

Is there any hope the will come back next year, if I scratch the bark and see green is it a good sign they are ok,

I did some reading here and will prune them back in October and look after them more next year,

I got 50m of laurel and its doing great in comparison to the beech,

I didn't like the way the guy planted them which I think is another reason they are dying now,

He just stuck the shovel in the ground pushed it over and back and rammed the roots into the slot and closed it up with his boot,

He never said anything about watering them but did say to add chicken manure after a few weeks which I did,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

eiei0 wrote: »
    Hi All

I got 80m of 4ft beech planted in March, in a double row about 2ft apart, the all seemed to take well but as the summer went on most of them have turned brown and seemed to die off,

I did water them but did miss the odd few days here and there,

There isn't that much grass or weeds around them,

Is there any hope the will come back next year, if I scratch the bark and see green is it a good sign they are ok,

I did some reading here and will prune them back in October and look after them more next year,

I got 50m of laurel and its doing great in comparison to the beech,

I didn't like the way the guy planted them which I think is another reason they are dying now,

He just stuck the shovel in the ground pushed it over and back and rammed the roots into the slot and closed it up with his boot,

He never said anything about watering them but did say to add chicken manure after a few weeks which I did,

Thanks

I had the same with beech (copper) wrecked my head - had thought about taking them out over last few years and dumping them .... This is year five and they have reached 6 foot but still very thin .... I'm glad I kept them they look well tho they seem to lose a good bit of leaf come autumn ... If you like them as a hedge you just have to be patient!!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

ive heard that using left over wood ash from your wood burning stove if you have one is great for beech hedging,all the phosperous and potassium helps it get going and trive,ive a friend who threw out all his wood ash from stove every weekend on his beech hedging and have to say it looks fantastic,might help your plight,also beech doesnt like boggy water logged ground,will never trive..

Advertisement