Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arklow: problem with noisy seagulls?

Options
  • 14-09-2015 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Is it common for Arklow residents to be woken at night by noise from
    seagulls?

Is their noise annoying during the daytime?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

No. Do you live near the harbour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Who you gonna call..... Ned O Sullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

I thought this was someone having a laugh!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Dilisk

No. Do you live near the harbour?

No; I don't live in Arklow at all.

The background to my question is this. I
    am looking to buy a place to live, as
    close to Dublin as possible. I considered
    Balbriggan, but was forced to rule it out
    because of the amazingly raucous seagulls.

Arklow is another place I would consider;
    but if it has a similar problem, then I
    would rule it out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

damian139 wrote: »
    I thought this was someone having a laugh!!!

I didn't.
    Dilisk wrote: »
    No; I don't live in Arklow at all.

The background to my question is this. I
    am looking to buy a place to live, as
    close to Dublin as possible. I considered
    Balbriggan, but was forced to rule it out
    because of the amazingly raucous seagulls.

Arklow is another place I would consider;
    but if it has a similar problem, then I
    would rule it out too.

....but I do now!!

:eek: :D

Thought it was an Arklow resident maybe asking about an increase in Seagull activity above the norms.

No, its someone basing house purchase decisions on Seagulls!!

Have you a phobia OP. Pecked by one as a baby or something. Ex Dublin apartment dweller previously attacked by the vicious Northside gulls that were in the news last year. Serious question?

If its more of a case of not getting a wink of sleep when you used to sleepover the odd night at your grannies house by the seaside because of the gulls then fear not. Its like living beside a railway line. You stop hearing the things after a week or so. I live in Bray one street back from the seafront near the railway line. I hear neither anymore or they certainly don't wake me. Sure, if I happen to be awake at 5am when they start shunting the Darts getting them ready for service and the Gulls are out and about, I might hear both but i'll automatically tune them back out again and have no problem going/getting back to sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

I lived in ballbriggan and the gulls where a nightmare in the summer there up around 4am.arklow gulls have a lie in about 7 or8 u might hear the odd one .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If you're worried about seagulls maybe it's best not to look at somewhere by the sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭WicklowTiger

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If you're worried about seagulls maybe it's best not to look at somewhere by the sea?

Move inland though and the magpies get you...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I stayed in Stranraer during July before getting the ferry the next day. Lovely B+B and because it was warm I had the window open. The thing I noticed was the noise of the gulls, they were extremely noisy from very early.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I was with a bunch of lads in 2 mobile homes,many years ago. About 3am and having had a feed of pints we turned in.

The lads in the second mobile home headed off to bed and after 5 minutes one of the guys staying in our mobile asked if we had bread.

We tip toed over and threw about half a loaf of bread on to the roof of the other mobile.

Suffice to say the lads heard the sea gulls early the next morning! And the crows and the magpies.

On the tin roof of a mobile they make some racket. Well so I'm told ;-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement