Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Wiring a Extract Fan / Speed Controller & Thermostat

Options
  • 14-09-2015 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi,
    looking for some advice on how to wire three components together for a Server Room.

I have a TT150 Extract Fan
    A VENTS P3-1-300 SPEED CONTROLLER
    And a 149-TH1 THERMOSTAT.

I have the wiring diagrams but it does not show the wiring if including a thermostat into the circuit.

The supplier told me the sequence was Speed Controller / Thermostat then Fan but he did not have a diagram to indicate the necessary connections as they are two separate products. :rolleyes:

I have attached a PDF that i CAD up, which shows each components wiring diagram on the back.

Any help on the matter is much appreciated. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Why would you use a thermostat?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

Sorry, complete mistype....
    Extract fan is for a server room with extreme temps.
    Typo corrected in opening post.

Thanks

A server room needing a thermostat makes a lot more sense than a bathroom extract fan.

I would need the installation manuals for the fan and speed controller to give proper advice regarding connections etc. (from what I could find online I'm not certain the fan and speed controller match?)

You really need someone competent to do the wiring for you. This is beyond D.I.Y. in my opinion.

Hi,
    thanks for the advice.
    I have attached Diagrams / Data Sheets

Cheers:)

The PDF attached on the opening post is the actual wiring diagrams printed on the back of each component that i purchased.
    I just cad'ed them up.

Vents TT 150 Fan
    P3-1-300 Controller
    149-TH1 Thermostat

They were the components recommended by the supplier

Thanks again

I lost the installation guide books that come with the equipment.
    So i asked for a soft copy and they were attached to post #5
    Looking at those PDF's i was sure he sent the wrong one's, so i contacted him today and he forwarded me on the correct one's.

Hopefully someone can help me out here.

Thanks

• Advertisement

A few things need clarification

From a quick look at those docs it looks like the fan is two speed (max and min), whereas the the controller is for three speeds, I suppose you could just ignore that easily enough though by only selecting speed 1 or 2.

The manual is for various models of the fan, do you have it's full part number?

Why are you even using the speed controller switch?

Do you intend to have the fan run continuously and switch into high speed when the temperature is exceeded? or are you just going to select the speed manually and have the fan turn on and off based on the temperature?

You also haven't mentioned anything fusing or an isolator for the fan.

Any competent electrician would be able to quickly and safely install the fan and controls for you. As I said before I wouldn't consider this a DIY job.

@ brightspark

Hi,
    Yes, it is a two speed fan (max-min).
    I do not have the full part number unfortunately TT150 is all that is wrote on the fan.
    I am using the speed controller so i can have an option to select min or max manually, the reason for this is so i can choose max setting during normal server conditions and min setting when in standby conditions, also, the thermostat to turn the fan on and off based on the room temperatures.
    I have a socket @ high level and i was going to wire the fan to a 3a plug.

Would the attached PDF wiring diagram work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭whizbang

The live to the speed switch should come from terminal 3 of the thermostat.

Wire the spare speed switch terminal into either of the others so it can't be left switched off.
    Is 3A enough ?

BUT: in the long run, this may turn out to be the mission critical part of the whole setup.
    - Do you really want to do this??

The live to the speed switch should come from terminal 3 of the thermostat.

Wire the spare speed switch terminal into either of the others so it can't be left switched off.
    Is 3A enough ?

BUT: in the long run, this may turn out to be the mission critical part of the whole setup.
    - Do you really want to do this??

Okay, see if I understood you correctly ;)

First: wire live to speed controller from terminal 3 on thermostat Instead of coming from terminal 4.

Second: wire spare terminal on speed controller to terminals 5 or 6 on thermostat.

Third: I don't fully understand you when you say "in the long run....."

And what would you suggest for recommended ampage?

I will update the wiring diagram tomorrow when I am at my pc.

Thanks

On your diagram, Speed switch terminal 2 goes to either 1, or 3, your choice.

Fusing is whatever the fan manufacturer recommends, assuming the wiring is sufficient.

BUT...

• Advertisement

Okay,

Attached is a revised wiring diagram.
    Will check with manufacturer to find the correct fuse amperage.

If anyone could throw there eye over this it would be appreciated.

Thanks

OK, Sorry small mistake there..

the Live feed to fan needs to go to terminal no 4 on thermostat. (not 3)
    The thermostat is generally used as a 'call for heat', but in your particular case its opposite, so different wiring.

@ whizbang
    Thanks for the help ;)

Is the attached wiring diagram correct?

Advertisement