Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell of Manure Spreading

Options
  • 14-09-2015 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

There's a smell of manure travelling through Dublin. Noticed it in Artane and just off the Malahide Road down near Belmayne, and someone else told me it was on the N32. Anybody know what's going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

slurry spreading season probably, theres still alot of used farm land around Belmayne, Clongriffen, Portmarnock & kinsealy thats used to grow veg on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Dáil back in session?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Moved from Dublin County North because the areas referred to in the OP are in the City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I love that smell when I'm outside city limits this time of year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Yeah, it's around Coolock too. Very odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭WearstheFoxhat

Chuckled at this, it's the start of the process of how your food ends up on the table

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Chuckled at this, it's the start of the process of how your food ends up on the table

Yeah, I think we're all aware of how food ends up on our table.

What we're not aware of is any farm in the middle of an urban area like Artane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Baldoyle Industrial Estate has a right stink of it today...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Suzyq

Gas, there I was checking my shoes to see if I'd walked in dog poo at the bus stop (Clarehall) this morning. Now it makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

surely it couldn't be manure?
    Is it the wind blowing from a treatment plant or are the sewers in the area experiencing problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭themissymoo

Suzyq wrote: »
    Gas, there I was checking my shoes to see if I'd walked in dog poo at the bus stop (Clarehall) this morning. Now it makes sense!

I did the exact same thing!
    whiskeyman wrote: »
    surely it couldn't be manure?
    Is it the wind blowing from a treatment plant or are the sewers in the area experiencing problems?

The sewers having a problem would make sense, as it's spread across such a huge distance. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I did the exact same thing!

The sewers having a problem would make sense, as it's spread across such a huge distance. :/

Yep, easterly breeze means it's coming from our stink in Ringsend and shangallagh.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It's awful, on the bus now and it's turning my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

At this time of year its usually caused by culchies going into their 1st year of college, takes a while for the bang to wear off them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Could have sworn I smelled it in the South Circular/Grand Canal area.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I think it's from all the Red Valerian plants that have been growing. Loads the summer and they really start stinking this time of year. I've them here in Clarehall and it wreaks of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

humberklog wrote: »
    I think it's from all the Red Valerian plants that have been growing. Loads the summer and they really start stinking this time of year. I've them here in Clarehall and it wreaks of them.

That makes sense actually, walking from Howth Junction into the Baldoyle Industrial Estate is awful and that whole area is covered in them. It stinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

humberklog wrote: »

I don't think it's plants, much more widespread and smells more like industrial , effluent or sewerage-like. Was still present last night.

Advertisement