Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭selectamatic

53210561.jpg
    upload images free

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/11739319

Not so nice corolla but Taxed till July and tested till June. It's rough and ready but asking 450 prob get it for 300 and you'd sell it for pretty much the same when the test and tax are gone perfect BANGERnomics :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

A minute later and it's sold already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

53210561.jpg
    upload images free

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/11739319

Not so nice corolla but Taxed till July and tested till June. It's rough and ready but asking 450 prob get it for 300 and you'd sell it for pretty much the same when the test and tax are gone perfect BANGERnomics :P

That didnt last long!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭selectamatic

twas up 2 days but the add was very poor I don't think English was his first language. If he had tax and test in the title it'd have sold in an hour or two, car looked honest though so I'd say someone got a great little run about for the next few months. some coincidence that it was marked sold literally a second or two after I posted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Wow, she is super clean and I really like the color. I always wondered if one really needs A/C in Ireland?

A/C will demist your windscreen much quicker than the regular blower, essential in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

I like aircon, but as far as bangernomics is concerned a/c and electronic climate control to me is more a disadvantage. Car's that age will need their aircon re gassed at the least (or your just blowing around the same temperature air non aircon does) and it's one more expensive thing to go wrong / maintain, filters to change, moldy smells to get rid of, more belts pulley's, pipes, and load on the alternator, and you loose at least a mpg when it's on. It's not a deal breaker for me in this climate if a car does / doesn't have it.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    A/C will demist your windscreen much quicker than the regular blower, essential in Ireland

Essential in an Ireland totally devoid of absorbent cloths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Essential in an Ireland totally devoid of absorbent cloths.

Windscreens have become more steeply raked and are much more difficult to wipe properly unless you're happy driving with a tiny little porthole for a view. Making a half assed attempt at wiping often makes the condensation worse and you get beads of moisture on the inside rather than simply condensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I'd love to know what Ireland you're living in :p

• Advertisement

Windscreens have become more steeply raked and are much more difficult to wipe properly unless you're happy driving with a tiny little porthole for a view. Making a half assed attempt at wiping often makes the condensation worse and you get beads of moisture on the inside rather than simply condensation.

All you need to avoid that scenario is one of these. http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/car-accessories/air-fresheners/air-dry-classic-car-dehumidifier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

They're in mr price for €1.49

I don't need one, I have Air Con which is a dehumidifier. My car cost a three figure sum more than 2 1/2 years ago. The heated seats are fantastic on those cold mornings too :)

jca wrote: »
    They're in mr price for €1.49

That's good to know. I must get a few. They are excellent for keeping dampness out of the car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Any bangers out there lads or just talk about cheap dehumifiers? :D

Can't access done deal myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

166man wrote: »
    Any bangers out there lads or just talk about cheap dehumifiers? :D

Can't access done deal myself

What? if you can access boards you can access dondeal via the interweb :D

I don't need one, I have Air Con which is a dehumidifier. My car cost a three figure sum more than 2 1/2 years ago. The heated seats are fantastic on those cold mornings too :)

Im sure it's great :) but It's not essential, especially in a bangernomics car. A €12 (or €1.49 if you go to Mr price) bag of granules will serve the same purpose and at the same time won't effect mpg and won't require any maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'll second that. Those granule bags (I bought mine on Amazon) made a huge difference on my MGF. The car doesn't really leak but it's an old skool convertible with a canvas roof and we are living in Ireland. Condensation was a big issue but the bags sorted 80% of the problem.

Im sure it's great :) but It's not essential, especially in a bangernomics car. A €12 (or €1.49 if you go to Mr price) bag of granules will serve the same purpose and at the same time won't effect mpg and won't require any maintenance.

It's a no cost option in bangernomics, there's more than enough choice of cars with air con, takes a few seconds to check its blowing cold. Why would you be without it :confused:

My air con has not required maintenance, still icy cold.

It's a no cost option in bangernomics, there's more than enough choice of cars with air con, takes a few seconds to check its blowing cold. Why would you be without it :confused:

... but still not essential.

• Advertisement

... but still not essential.

That's subjective, even at bangernomics level I won't be buying a car without it, that makes it essential for me :)

Because not every car I like has it and it's not an essential requirement for me. Sure it's nice to have but I wouldn't dismiss a car because of it having no a/c. The condensation on the windscreen is easily sorted and we don't get that many warm days here to make a/c an essential requirement. :)

That's subjective, even at bangernomics level I won't be buying a car without it, that makes it essential for me :)

Err, no. You said it was 'essential in Ireland'- thats not very subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

^^^

As JonhBoy26 there I'd like to keep an open mind. I wouldn't dismiss any car for lacking any feature. For sure A/C helps a lot in bad days in winter, but thinking back, there was only one day ever in summer that I really hated that the A/C on my Saab wasn't working (and iirc that was the hottest day ever recorded in Dublin - was it in 2012 or 2013?).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car-audi-a3-2003-nct-and-tax-done-2017/11879540

Another bargain. No need to worry about nct or tax until after Christmas.

unkel wrote: »
    ^^^

As JonhBoy26 there I'd like to keep an open mind. I wouldn't dismiss any car for lacking any feature. For sure A/C helps a lot in bad days in winter, but thinking back, there was only one day ever in summer that I really hated that the A/C on my Saab wasn't working (and iirc that was the hottest day ever recorded in Dublin - was it in 2012 or 2013?).

A/c is a good to have, no doubt. But I can easily do without it. Ive fixed the a/c in the stilo ( pressure switch) so it just needs a gassing, but frankly I just havent been bothered to do it.

The skyroof makes the car quite hot when the sun is shining, but the cold air on fan speed 2 ( or open a window!) keeps it bearable.

However, in my wifes 159, the fan simply cannot keep the car cool without hitting the AC. I reckon its because cars with climate control have more restricted ventilation systems thus making itself self-perpetuating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'll weigh back in here for a minute seeing as I'm the one who caused this :D
    Anyway, I think it's all subjective who prefers a car with AC and who isn't bothered either way.
    I think in general, a car with AC can ask for a (albeit slightly higher) asking price over the same model without it.
    I don't think it's fair to assume that because Ireland has essentially 2 seasons that we never get warm days.
    I always want AC because every year I go and visit my mothers Italian family every year and going to Italy or throughout the continent with AC is pre madness.
    In Ireland AC is more usable for other scenarios.
    Maybe I'm just being stuckup? but I would more than likely be turned off by a car not having AC. We already have the typical stereotype of having paddy spec'd cars so I'd like to try and keep away from that.
    But each to their own :)
    I've also learned to have heated seats with my cars, they are absolutely savage in the winter and the Passats would cook your hole after 5mins :D

Alfanomics time:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-156fresh-nct/11886695

Seems like a well looked after 156, long NCT and major jobs done. If they can verified this would be worth the cash. (Has AC too :D)

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-156-diesel-nctd/11845382

Hate red on cars but at that price I wouldn't care and the pretty reliable 140 JTD engine. NCT 09/16

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-sportwagon/11879095

I can't understand people that can't be arsed to wash a car before putting it up for sale. 10e car wash would make all the difference there.
    Anyway it's the 2.0 so 155bhp, black leather and its the sportswagen with a long NCT 02/17. 1k which I imagine you could get it down. Bit rough around the edges but it is a 14 year old car.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-156-2-0-t-s-nct-31-01-17-tax-05-16/11871155

Can't make up my mind if this should be here or not. Taxed until the end of May, NCT's until the end of 01/17, pretty comprehensive history and 155 horses.
    But.. needs a repair.

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2-4-diesel-alfa-156-6-speed/11810267

This has potential, the state of the wheels tells me your man couldn't car how it looks and the side skirt is damaged.
    But, NCT until next year and 175bhp 2.4 engine plus it's the sportwagon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement