Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-156-diesel/11510559

Another 5 cylinder F/L version so 150bhp. NCT 07/16

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-156-ti-superlusso-1-6-petrol-124-bhp/11743444

Nice Ti F/L with an NCT until next January, I'd say you could nearly get this for under 1k

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-156-jts-nct-tax/11746775

Taxed until the end of April, NCT until next March and it's the JTS.. but be wary with the JTS as a lot of the times they weren't 166bhp but 155.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/price-drop-nct-03-17-2-4-10v-jtd-cosmos-blue/11281609

The kit alone makes this a bargain, NCT until next March and the 20v diesel engine. 1250e

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nct-amptax-fiat-punto-sx/11863740

Now the ultimate bangernomic car. Taxed until the end of July, NCT until the middle of August. 4 new tyres and seems fairly dent free to me...
    Asking 375e!

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-fiat-uylsse/11877252

Nice family bus with NCT until next March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

bear1 wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/price-drop-nct-03-17-2-4-10v-jtd-cosmos-blue/11281609

The kit alone makes this a bargain, NCT until next March and the 20v diesel engine. 1250e

Whatever it was, you were right, gone already.

emeldc wrote: »
    Whatever it was, you were right, gone already.

Put it this way, some people pay about 1k sterling for the full kit painted.
    So going by that the kit alone is worth the price of the car.
    GTA headlights are very expensive as well as they are xenons.
    The extras on the car basically made the car itself free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

bear1 wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-156-ti-superlusso-1-6-petrol-124-bhp/11743444

Nice Ti F/L with an NCT until next January, I'd say you could nearly get this for under 1k

Pick of the bunch for me. Less chance for hassle than a jts, and looks well looked after.

2.0 TS would be nice, but cars look neglected. Red 1.9 diesel would be the one if I did the mileage to justify it.

Dont fancy the 2.4 diesels. If I'm doing the mileage, the 1.9 will do fine. If not, and I'm paying the tax anyway, I'd take a 2.5 busso.... :cool:

Pick of the bunch for me. Less chance for hassle than a jts, and looks well looked after.

2.0 TS would be nice, but cars look neglected. Red 1.9 diesel would be the one if I did the mileage to justify it.

Dont fancy the 2.4 diesels. If I'm doing the mileage, the 1.9 will do fine. If not, and I'm paying the tax anyway, I'd take a 2.5 busso.... :cool:

If I'm going for the 2.5 v6 then I going to go the full hog and go for a GTA. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Maxima doesn't have NCT. And a 3l engine (€1500 tax). It's only worth scrap value imho :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'd have the Maxima over the other two any day, you'd pay the tax on a rusty old Merc so that shouldn't matter.
    They are ultimate sofa's, seriously floppy, comfy barges.

It's not one for bangernomics but it's a savage fixer upper at €500.

2002 Avensis with 12 months NCT. Probably worn smooth but it will get you around.

53989767.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

Is there any point buying these cars if insurance policies can't be got for them ? (i.e. isn't it only renewals of a policy on an existing car allowed by most)
    and if they can, on average how much extra are they ?

Shortish test till August, but lovely colour and wheels makes it look very smart. €850

53758996.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Shortish test till August, but lovely colour and wheels makes it look very smart. €850

They are Wolfrace. :o

Aftermarket alloys don't often suit a car, especially a 'rolla, but those ones do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭CarFan100

Arkady wrote: »
    Is there any point buying these cars if insurance policies can't be got for them ? (i.e. isn't it only renewals of a policy on an existing cat allow by most)
    and if they can, on average how much extra are they ?

What is the the insurance situation changing from one banger to another?

I'm currently on a 99 car with relatively cheap insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

checking myself lately for my brother on a few things. Currently for most going from a 01 to a 00 of exactly the same car raised the quote by about 300 euro(was checking mostly on 1.4 cars).

A 01 to 02 didn't make any significant difference.

this seems good value

53784361.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭CarFan100

donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi-lancer-new-nct-03-17/11891358

Alfa gtv in need of some tlc, but its NCT'ed until August, TB has been done recently and it has some TI history, so someone looked after its mechanical needs, if not the cosmetic.

You would think they'd know how to spell 'Alfa' by now.... But its €550, so....

54126891.jpeg

CarFan100 wrote: »
    What is the the insurance situation changing from one banger to another?

I'm currently on a 99 car with relatively cheap insurance.

That's what I'm trying to find out, but can't get a straight answer anywhere. If you have an existing policy on an old car, renewing it is apparently not too much hassle, but once you go to change that car for another old one, you could be in big bother trying to get it insured. Could be the practical end of bangernomics.

That's what I'm trying to find out, but can't get a straight answer anywhere. If you have an existing policy on an old car, renewing it is apparently not too much hassle, but once you go to change that car for another old one, you could be in big bother trying to get it insured. Could be the practical end of bangernomics.

If you have a '99 and come up a couple of years I can't see a problem, unless you mean you want to get something older.
    For new policies, AXA quote for cars up to 20 years old. Don't know what the loading is though.

emeldc wrote: »
    If you have a '99 and come up a couple of years I can't see a problem, unless you mean you want to get something older.

A lot of the best bangernomics on here are older than 2001. Not much point in buying them if they can't be insured at a reasonably affordable cost. It defeats the whole purpose.

A lot of the best bangernomics on here are older than 2001. Not much point in buying them if they can't be insured at a reasonably affordable cost. It defeats the whole purpose.

Just because it's called "banger"-nomics, doesn't necessarily mean that they have to be piles of scrap that barely got through the test few months ago and you can't stand to look at, with the only reason you're buying a "banger" is so you can go from point A to B with spending very little money.

You can pick up nice cars that you can maintain and keep for years. If you like a certain type of car (the looks, how it drives, etc) which happens to bet older than 2001, I'm sure you can spend a few extra quid. One perfect example being the MX5 a few pages back.

GvidoR wrote: »
    Just because it's called "banger"-nomics, doesn't necessarily mean that they have to be piles of scrap that barely got through the test few months ago and you can't stand to look at, with the only reason you're buying a "banger" is so you can go from point A to B with spending very little money.

You can pick up nice cars that you can maintain and keep for years. If you like a certain type of car (the looks, how it drives, etc) which happens to bet older than 2001, I'm sure you can spend a few extra quid. One perfect example being the MX5 a few pages back.

Whoh here, just because a car is 2001 or older and good value does not make a "pile of scrap" . . . there's some brilliant 2001 and older cars on here every week, the point is no matter how good it is, not much point in buying it if the insurance is near impossible and/or prohibitively expensive and you're on a value for money budget. (The whole point of this thread)

Whoh here, just because a car is 2001 or older and good value does not make a pile of scrap . . . there's some brilliant 2001 and older cars on here every week.

Not sure if you're serious or trolling, but you completely missed the point that I was trying to make.

GvidoR wrote: »
    Not sure if you're serious or trolling, but you completely missed the point that I was trying to make.

Less of the accusations again thanks. A car can be brilliant value and in brilliant nick, but you also have to be able to insure it to actually use it on the public road.

• Advertisement

@Arkdy, how much have you got to spend?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement