Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

emeldc wrote: »
    If you have a '99 and come up a couple of years I can't see a problem, unless you mean you want to get something older.
    For new policies, AXA quote for cars up to 20 years old. Don't know what the loading is though.

They must have very narrow criteria, though.

If 34 years old with 6 years ncb and same for driving license, no points etc is told to f off :)

Last year and 2 years ago I was getting quotes everywhere, this year gave up at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

53751125.jpeghttp:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/daewoo-lanos-tested-n-tax-low-mileage/11833702

Designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro, and was Korean car of the year when it came out.

Always wanted one of these so I could say this . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

wonski wrote: »
    They must have very narrow criteria, though.

If 34 years old with 6 years ncb and same for driving license, no points etc is told to f off :)

Last year and 2 years ago I was getting quotes everywhere, this year gave up at some point.

Strange. I insured a '98 1.4 golf last July switching from Liberty.
    My brother insured a '99 E Class a few weeks ago for €700. NCB had lapsed so starting from scratch so to speak.
    They also took on my '97 Vanette in October last when my own insurer trebled the premium.
    Mind you, I am an old fogey in my mid 50's ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

As bland as boiled cabbage.
    '07 Almera
    Test Jan '17
    bit of tax - May '16
    Looks pretty good
    Asking €1,750
    Looks in good nick

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-almara-nct-amp-tax-1750/11839270

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭CarFan100

emeldc wrote: »
    Strange. I insured a '98 1.4 golf last July switching from Liberty.
    My brother insured a '99 E Class a few weeks ago for €700. NCB had lapsed so starting from scratch so to speak.
    They also took on my '97 Vanette in October last when my own insurer trebled the premium.
    Mind you, I am an old fogey in my mid 50's ;)
    There seems to be great bangernomics bargains now presumably due to the insurance situation
    Maybe only the older drivers can benefit from this if they're not being hit with high insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

CarFan100 wrote: »
    [...]
    Maybe only the older drivers can benefit from this if they're not being hit with high insurance yet?

Fixed your post. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Arkady wrote: »
    53751125.jpeghttp:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/daewoo-lanos-tested-n-tax-low-mileage/11833702

Designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro, and was Korean car of the year when it came out.

Always wanted one of these so I could say this . . .

He had an off day it seems. He's only human though I suppose :p

Arkady wrote: »
    That's what I'm trying to find out, but can't get a straight answer anywhere. If you have an existing policy on an old car, renewing it is apparently not too much hassle,but once you go to change that car for another old one, you could be in big bother trying to get it insured. Could be the practical end of bangernomics.

Afaik it's only if you're opening a new policy on an older car with certain insurers is when you will have an issue. Transferring a policy shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The nct expires next month on that. Its the motor tax that expires during the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

bear1 wrote: »
    The nct expires next month on that. Its the motor tax that expires during the summer.

And the feckin tires :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Afaik it's only if you're opening a new policy on an older car with certain insurers is when you will have an issue. Transferring a policy shouldn't be a problem.

RSA gave me hassle trying to transfer to a 99 civic.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

That's the issue we're worried about, it's usually very uneconomic to stay with the same insurer for long as they think you won't price around come renewal time, and instead go for the convenience of a quick renewal. Also if do you risk getting rid of your current old car and buy another bangernomics, you will get screwed again once you try to insure the newly bought car, and may not get insurance for it at all ? It's a crazy sitution, where all these perfectly good older cars are becoming practically useless in reality.

The whole point of bangernomics is getting maximum value for money overall and having a car that you can actually afford to use on the public road, and to some extent preserving these motors for the future, as a car goes to loss if it's not driven now and then.

What do we do ? Buy them and store them at the back of the house, hoping that one day this madness will change ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

In 15 years we could be in an awful situation, with next to no good quality second hand cars from this generation of 7 year warranties and pcp finance.

In 15 years we could be in an awful situation, with next to no good quality second hand cars from this generation of 7 year warranties and pcp finance.

Won't matter how good they are if we can't insure them economically.

Fugly sonata. Asking € 800

I like something a bit different.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-hyundai-sonata-2-0-petrol-nct/11389010

51426461.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

For an 02 I actually dont think its too bad looking. Looks like a comfortable cruiser and I believe they are fairly reliable. V6 arent they?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm dreading it. Little sh1tty diesel Chinese / Korean sh1tboxes all around :(

You already see at least 75% fewer nice cars around these days compared with just 10 years ago. Classic cars are mostly gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

unkel wrote: »
    I'm dreading it. Little sh1tty diesel Chinese / Korean sh1tboxes all around :(

You already see at least 75% fewer nice cars around these days compared with just 10 years ago. Classic cars are mostly gone too.
    The UK import market will boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

bear1 wrote: »
    For an 02 I actually dont think its too bad looking. Looks like a comfortable cruiser and I believe they are fairly reliable. V6 arent they?

Inline 4 in that ef-b. Not abad looker really - in fact I think its a bit better looking than the model that followed.

But I'd be hard pressed to pick it over an equally well preserved e-class of the same era (w210) Might pay a few hundred more for the merc though.

53876091.jpeg

Or not, as the case may be!! :-)

( inb4u: yeah yeah, rusty arches, I know. But worth a look anyway.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Inline 4 in that ef-b. Not abad looker really - in fact I think its a bit better looking than the model that followed.

But I'd be hard pressed to pick it over an equally well preserved e-class of the same era (w210) Might pay a few hundred more for the merc though.

53876091.jpeg

Or not, as the case may be!! :-)

( inb4u: yeah yeah, rusty arches, I know. But worth a look anyway.)

Beautiful car, no comparison, would be tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Yup. Bridgestone tyres tell me it was owned/maintained by someone who could afford to run it. A good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

Alfa gtv in need of some tlc, but its NCT'ed until August, TB has been done recently and it has some TI history, so someone looked after its mechanical needs, if not the cosmetic.

You would think they'd know how to spell 'Alfa' by now.... But its €550, so....

54126891.jpeg

That looks really good for the money...

Yup. Bridgestone tyres tell me it was owned/maintained by someone who could afford to run it. A good sign.

not liking the knackers eyebrows on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

Somehow a Carlow reg on a car like that just looks...wrong

Or it could be just a part worn thrown on just to pass the nct :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I bought my civic with Bridgestone Turanza's on it, practically brand new too, it just screamed at me someone who minded their car and only flogged it to probably buy a new one, rather than hiding issues, I've been proven right so far I think (touch wood!)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Jag already down to €1,300. That's more like it :D

Probably get it for a grand...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

500 quid before you start to haggle. Good jayziz that's silly cheap. (Does say it's off beat which probably means coil pack. 200 quid fix so its still for nothing)

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-93-9-3-2-0-turbo-aero-500-euro/11861903

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement