Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

As far as I can tell most good bangers have current tax and nct, or at least enough to cover a two week holiday. I can buy insurance in the states to cover me while in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Would US insurance cover a foreign reg'd car? You'd have some job explaining that to a Guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-legacy-est-autofsh4wd-1500/11914508

Its a late model older version, which I think still looks very fresh. A 2.0 auto n/a will not take everyone's interest, but a fresh 15 month NCT with no advisories is probably the real appeal for someone looking for a reliable family car. €1500.
    Seller is lieing about the mileage - says km instead of miles. Puts me off instantly. Plus the fact that its 212,000 miles and a year older that the black wheeled 04 one listed a few posts ago.
    The 04 is far better value in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

cadaliac wrote: »
    Seller is lieing about the mileage - says km instead of miles. Puts me off instantly. Plus the fact that its 212,000 miles and a year older that the black wheeled 04 one listed a few posts ago.

When you post an ad on the mobile site it automatically puts the mileage down as km - so I can usually forgive that when I notice. I think its a nicer looking car than the 04 one but thats just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

cadaliac wrote: »

The 03 is far fresher looking though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭CarFan100

It has been for sale for a while now, posted twice before. I'm surprised it isn't sold, but it isn't exactly an appealing car and no doubt the insurance epidemic is part of the reason.

I love the floor mats!

Would it be possible to even get a quote for it .1994?
    Probably why it's not sold

When you post an ad on the mobile site it automatically puts the mileage down as km - so I can usually forgive that when I notice. I think its a nicer looking car than the 04 one but thats just me!
    I often wondered why so many people put KM instead of miles. That explains a lot. Cheers

bear1 wrote: »
    Would US insurance cover a foreign reg'd car? You'd have some job explaining that to a Guard.

Yep, there a few insurers companies her that will cover any car you drive abroad, or even if you want to take your personal car abroad. Seem like they are more interested in the driver than the vehicle. If I have a safe driving record in the states than they won’t have an issue insuring you for two weeks in Europe.
    Liberty insures my house here and I know they offer auto insures in Ireland so they were my first call, oddly enough they won’t insure me Ireland even though I have a policy with them here. “shrugs”
    I’ve never had an issue with the guard, if anything, dealing with a foreigner is more trouble than its worth

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm seriously considering a bangernomic for the rest of the year!
    I'll have opportunity to drive about 6,000 motorway km's around Ireland this year for work, and therefore claim back about €2,000 in mileage allowance.
    She uses our car (320d) Mon, Tues & Wed, so using that mightn't always be feesable (rentals are an option, but then I can't claim mileage)

If I found something (1.6 - 2.0) with At least 8/9 months test, and even a bit of tax as a bonus, I'd seriously consider doing it, and going by some of the cars I've seen in here lately, there are loads of them out there!

I see though it's mainly petrols in here, and while not a disaster, I'd prefer a diesel for the motorway, but somehow don't think I'd get a good enough deal on a diesel.

I also wouldn't be terribly disappointed if I picked up an auto, though it wouldn't be essential!

The plan would be to shift her on at the end of the year (assuming I don't fall in love with her).

Worth doing?

Sounds doable, can you get insurance at a reasonable price for a car 10 years or older?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm seriously considering a bangernomic for the rest of the year!
    I'll have opportunity to drive about 6,000 motorway km's around Ireland this year for work, and therefore claim back about €2,000 in mileage allowance.
    She uses our car (320d) Mon, Tues & Wed, so using that mightn't always be feesable (rentals are an option, but then I can't claim mileage)

If I found something (1.6 - 2.0) with At least 8/9 months test, and even a bit of tax as a bonus, I'd seriously consider doing it, and going by some of the cars I've seen in here lately, there are loads of them out there!

I see though it's mainly petrols in here, and while not a disaster, I'd prefer a diesel for the motorway, but somehow don't think I'd get a good enough deal on a diesel.

I also wouldn't be terribly disappointed if I picked up an auto, though it wouldn't be essential!

The plan would be to shift her on at the end of the year (assuming I don't fall in love with her).

Worth doing?
    #Buy one of those Legacy's/

I don't know, current policy is fully comp on a 2006 320d M-Sport,

I couldn't imagine I'd not get cover on a 10-15 year old car!?!

Jayop wrote: »
    #Buy one of those Legacy's/

That 2003 one looks fantastic imo, much better than the 2004 version.

What are you looking to spend Andy? That diesel auto Volvo I posted has tax and test until next year but it's not really cheap. Comfy bus for doing the miles though.

Or the Primera? :D Tax until the end of the year and test till next year

yeah but you cant fall in love with a Volvo :D

I'd be hoping to try and get something for sub €1,000, and would also fancy something a bit sporty!
    That red 3 series a few pages back really got me thinking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭selectamatic

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-tax-and-tested/11896778

Nice simple little ford fiesta. Taxed and tested till July. Add isn't loaded with info but seems fairly genuine. At 400 or less its hard fault it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-tax-and-tested/11896778

Nice simple little ford fiesta. Taxed and tested till July. Add isn't loaded with info but seems fairly genuine. At 400 or less its hard fault it.

Christ that's cheap, I got 3 for one with no tax or test recently..it was fairly clean though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I'd be hoping to try and get something for sub €1,000, and would also fancy something a bit sporty!
    That red 3 series a few pages back really got me thinking!!

Not really 3 series sporty but a good reliable bangernomics car nontheless.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-1-8-nct-09-16-tax-05-16/11791599
    53494206.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Cheap car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Something for the attention seekers, or those who like something a little bit different:

1997 Lancia Ypsilon with 2 months tax and NCT till end of the year. Pure Punto underneath, so no issues with parts, and they have the 1.2 16v so economical and reliable. €975

Like the integrale evo's, they are only LHD... :D

52223016.jpeg

You might want to think of moving the air filter from above the exhaust if you do buy it.

great find that seller always has some interesting rare italian motors for sale weather its a v6 track alfa or a tiny sensible lancia

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭dbrunson

2 recent posts bought and sitting in my driveway. The Audi had the same owner for 9 years and a full history file totalling 3300€ paintwork is peeling and needs new brakes otherwise perfect. The Alfa just completed a 120mile journey home and was with out doubt the most comprehensive handover I ever had, the owner knew the car inside out. €8018 history file.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Not really 3 series sporty but a good reliable bangernomics car nontheless.

Sporty would be nice, but its by no means essential.
    (given that I'm currently driving an M-Sport on run flats, a comfort bus would be nice).

I like that Accord.

That Alfa was an absolute bargain! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

That Alfa was an absolute bargain! ;)

Did you buy it?

I was going to go and see it this evening but it was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

davycc wrote: »
    great find that seller always has some interesting rare italian motors for sale weather its a v6 track alfa or a tiny sensible lancia

Ha! just saw the 156 '"Track day, Bro!" v6 and I love it. Pity they didn't make it road legal.I had a wizard exhaust on my last 156 v6 and they are the business - amazing sound. Every tunnel became an excuse to slow down to about 50kph, window down and drop 2 gears and floor it. The puzzled faces of the guys who passed you on the way in as you blast past them at 150 on the way out.... :cool:

My wife has a 159 now, but she wisely wont let me near it....

(I also like the 145 in the background.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The lad with the lancia, is that pat from Wexford? I remember years ago he bought a v6 156 and turned it into a track car.

Ah...I might have bought my Y10 from him!

I don't know, current policy is fully comp on a 2006 320d M-Sport,

I couldn't imagine I'd not get cover on a 10-15 year old car!?!
    I got cover for an 04 volvo today. Call them and get a quote for some examples on here. it should give you a feel for what they will and will not insure. A good hour getting online quotes should do the job.
    You will need the car reg in each case.

Its a good idea but you need to realize that you will probably not get the purchase price of the car back after a year. You might, but its unlikely.

As you mentioned, a diesel will be more difficult to source, but, they are there alright.
    Best of luck and keep us posted if you do buy. :)

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement