Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

dbrunson wrote: »
    2 recent posts bought and sitting in my driveway. The Audi had the same owner for 9 years and a full history file totalling 3300€ paintwork is peeling and needs new brakes otherwise perfect. The Alfa just completed a 120mile journey home and was with out doubt the most comprehensive handover I ever had, the owner knew the car inside out. €8018 history file.

Nice one. Let us know how you get on with the alfa.

cadaliac wrote: »

Lovely, but needs a timing chain....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Supplied new by local garage, and hasn't moved too far. Low miles, long NCT. Arguable more pretty 2-door. Good colour if somewhat scuffed, but looks honest. €950

54144073.jpeg

Now asking €750.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Always liked them (well the 2 door one only). Pity it's only got 4 seats (and seat belts)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

What are these Preludes like?

Surely could be got for a grand with long NCT:

http://blackrockmotorcompany.com/?q=browsecars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

Nice, low mileage and kinda cool looking and high spec Honda:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/rare-honda-acord-vtec/11771236#

(He's selling the Legacy across the road too)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭selectamatic

That accord coupe was posted before. It's nice and looks very well kept but its dear enough for what it is, I posted another red one from kildare earlier on in march for half the price of the silver one and its still there too, tax and test on it as well. They're cool but I'm assuming awkward insure and there are other nice cars to be had for similar money.
    The preludes are much the same cool cars but nicer ones to be had. That said if I seen one with a proper 200bhp h22 engine at a good price I'd be tempted. Them gen5's are way nicer than the 4th generation preludes imo so they'd be the one to go for. The 3rd generation ones are lovely too but they're allergic to water so finding rust free ones is very hard.

53139757.jpg
    free image hosting

90bhp Tdi Roscommon spec bangernomics, Tested till June and taxed till end of July. Belts supposedly done, ya can be sure the car is rough and ready but at 500 or less it'd be a solid beater, it's a wonder it's lasted this long on dd since it is located in the Irish home county of passats.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-passat-nct-and-tax/11724525

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

cadaliac wrote: »

Something like this would be perfect for me, just without the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Forget hiring cars anymore, its more cost effective to buy a banger drive it for two weeks and leave it at the airport when I fly home. Last car hire in Ireland was $1800, ouch

Dunno where you hire your cars, but 2 weeks car hire at the minute is around €335/€340. Check www.rentalcars.com.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Dunno where you hire your cars, but 2 weeks car hire at the minute is around €335/€340. Check www.rentalcars.com.

Aye and in the summer that will triple. Also depends on the car, most coming from the US want a big car like a Mondeo or a Galaxy and most want an auto-box which costs more again in the summer.

Edit: First two weeks in August.

Auto Yaris (cheapest Auto) - €790
    Auto Mondeo - €1194
    Auto Pug 5008 (cheapest 7 seat) - €1600

Just checked there, you can get 14 days car hire now for €110.

Jayop wrote: »
    Aye and in the summer that will triple. Also depends on the car, most coming from the US want a big car like a Mondeo or a Galaxy and most want an auto-box which costs more again in the summer.

Edit: First two weeks in August.

Auto Yaris (cheapest Auto) - €790
    Auto Mondeo - €1194
    Auto Pug 5008 (cheapest 7 seat) - €1600

If he's considering buying a banger to drive around here for 2 weeks just to save money, he'll not be pushed on car size.
    I see that a fiesta or ka for 2 weeks in July is €210, and a mondeo is €261.
    Granted, specifying automatic doubles that, but again if it's value he wants I'm sure manual would suffice.

Saab 9-3 SE with NCT till September for €450. Looks tidy.

53209711.jpeg

Functional shed/beater with economical diesel, 10 months NCT for €850

I'd like to see some evidence to support the low miles, otherwise disregard the claim. At the price it doesn't really matter.

54287707.jpeg

This would be the type of thing I'd be interested in, for what I need.

€800

318i

53374633.jpeg

Test until the end of the year - check
    Auto - check
    Cruise Control - not sure
    sportyish - check

bonus is the mileage isn't massive either! (11340 is telling me it's an Irish car)

Anyone see anything wrong here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Nice, and looks clean. My only advice is check the underbody for corrosion, other than that the price is right :cool:

Corrosion meh. The car passed the NCT 2 months ago. It will be fine. Car must have been for sale for quite some time, the seller is claiming "passed NCT today", so scope for a bargain here. Ring up, test car, bring cash and if it works out, put in a cheeky offer of €550 (but if I were the seller, I'd hold out for more)

Good luck and keep us updated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Lovely, but needs a timing chain....
    Apologies - I never read the ad and spotted the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

sportyish - check

Even with an -ish it's not. Looks a decent buy though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

53139757.jpg
    free image hosting

90bhp Tdi Roscommon spec bangernomics, Tested till June and taxed till end of July. Belts supposedly done, ya can be sure the car is rough and ready but at 500 or less it'd be a solid beater, it's a wonder it's lasted this long on dd since it is located in the Irish home county of passats.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-passat-nct-and-tax/11724525

just sold :D your sales pitch must have helped it shift

davycc wrote: »
    just sold :D your sales pitch must have helped it shift

No doubt it'll have a cattle trailer behind it in no time :P
    That or it'll be seen driving round castlerea with a straight pipe and bbs reps.
    Still they were the last of the real reliable passats I've a neighbour that has one since near new and it's over the 400k miles mark with little more done to it than servicing and wearable suspension parts. He has minded it well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-felicja-98/11929300

54314526.jpeg

9 months NCT for €350...roof bars and all. I suppose it makes for cheap versatile motoring

A bangernomics favourite

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-panda-06/11897862

54139164.jpeg

Nearly a years test, a smidge over a grand. Ideal for any learner, you shouldn't have any age related issues insuring this.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

This would be the type of thing I'd be interested in, for what I need.

€800

Test until the end of the year - check
    Auto - check
    Cruise Control - not sure
    sportyish - check

bonus is the mileage isn't massive either! (11340 is telling me it's an Irish car)

Doesn't have the cruise control
    but great motoring at anything around that money

its not even ish sporty :-)

I guess more sporty looking than anything performance wise! (Despite driving an e90, I've always loved the e46 design)

I'd miss the cruise control alright though!!

unkel wrote: »
    Who taught you maths? :p

Haha I don't know what that was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

You need to be careful with some of those brokers. The CDW is subject to an excess of between €800 and €2500. An authorisation is taken on your CC at the counter. A scratched wing will cost the minimum. 'Full' cover will cost a lot more but as far as I can see it's never really 'full'. I was nearly caught a few years ago where the broker (europcar) failed to pay the hire co and I got charged twice. It took about 9 months to get a charge back.
    Now I will only deal with the car hire co itself, Avis, Hertz etc. It's more expensive but I can hand back the car written off ......... It's covered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement