Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nothing would ruin your holiday as quick as a €1000 scratch. I've rented a lot of cars and it's never happened to me but I'd rather pay the whatever €50 or €100 extra for full CDW cover with zero excess...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

There is a handy CDW excess cover you can buy on an annual basis - well worth it if you rent a few times a year, and choose high excess cars ( anything with 4 wheels in Ireland it seems)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

unkel wrote: »
    Nothing would ruin your holiday as quick as a €1000 scratch. I've rented a lot of cars and it's never happened to me but I'd rather pay the whatever €50 or €100 extra for full CDW cover with zero excess...

Same as. I'd always get the extra insurance on a rental car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

I see that a fiesta or ka for 2 weeks in July is €210, and a mondeo is €261.

This is correct and what I pay for the car hire itself, sounds like a deal right? Then when I get to the counter in Shannon they tack on another 1500 for CDW

Last time I was in Ireland I had a polo, first petrol stop the petrol filler door on the VW broke off in my hand. When I returned the car they asked what happened, check I had full coverage and said it wasn’t a problem have a nice day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I've a car rented for 4 days in June in Ireland with Sixt. 158e for a lucky dip car whatever the hell that is with 300e excess. Feckers want 200e with the excess to zero which I know I'll chicken out and accept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-micra-new-nct-02-2017-tax-04-2016/11933891

54342439.jpeg

Test till next Feb 17, months tax, looks in reasonable nick. A good buy if you can insure it - €550

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-panda-nct-3-17/11866902?sv=true

53956582.jpeg

Full years test for a bag o' sand - a couple of bumps on it but for the money you can't complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

They are deadly yokes. If I could of gotten insured on one I'd of bought it in a heartbeat.

So tempted to sell mine lately tbh. When I was buying it, it was that or a TT. Always regretted not getting a TT, then I seen Unkels TT thread the other week and just today a guy dropped a TT into work for a service and I really really really want one. Like really f ing want one.

But then €1500 is peanuts for my car, it's worth way more than that to me... and the absolute rasp from the Yamaha goodness is fantastic.

First world problens eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That t-sport looks the cleanest. Something different about the seats they look recovered.

So tempted to sell mine lately tbh. When I was buying it, it was that or a TT. Always regretted not getting a TT, then I seen Unkels TT thread the other week and just today a guy dropped a TT into work for a service and I really really really want one. Like really f ing want one.

I still want one too, but I am seriously put off by the amount of work I would have to get into a reasonably cheap one. None of them, literally not one of them have proof of timing belt done. Same for haldex. Add an oil service and some other minor work on top of a cheap tested TT and we're talking the guts of €3k already. Which is a lot of money for a 14-17 year old TT...

Add more if you want a near mint one. Add more again for a 225...

And all of a sudden we are talking Porsche money here.

I think that goes for pretty much any old-ish performance car unfortunately.

Paid €2500 for my seemingly good nic Celica with a fairly comprehensive history and boom, i'm into it to the tune of €4500-€5k after 18 months and you could buy some far nicer cars with that kind of budget.

Everything that could go wrong, did. I'm still somewhat inclined to do it all again with a TT, but financially it would be insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭selectamatic

54194127.jpg
    picture share

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-toyota-yaris/11907971

Nice 2002 yaris. Tested and taxed till 2017 supposedly low miles and a clean body too. Might get it for under 1500 with bit of a haggle.

I think that goes for pretty much any old-ish performance car

Make that old performance-ish car :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

GvidoR wrote: »
    Same as. I'd always get the extra insurance on a rental car.
    This is correct and what I pay for the car hire itself, sounds like a deal right? Then when I get to the counter in Shannon they tack on another 1500 for CDW

Last time I was in Ireland I had a polo, first petrol stop the petrol filler door on the VW broke off in my hand. When I returned the car they asked what happened, check I had full coverage and said it wasn’t a problem have a nice day

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but more fool youfor paying 1500 cdw. They saw you coming. Full cdw on the site I linked to for a Mondeo for 2 weeks in July is an extra €122.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Maybe it’s less for someone with an Irish drives license, and that 1500 was full cover for 14 days, it’s always been expensive even with different car hiring companies.

There really isn’t an option, you pay the CDW or they don’t rent you the car

That’s why a banger near Shannon might be my next rental. Think the seller will meet me at the airport :D

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-fiat-panda/11832346

53744061.jpeg

Another cheap Panda with NCT until 2017 - €1195. Make for an excellent first car (not just for the frugality but the new plate, so no real insurance worries)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭selectamatic

54071050.jpg
    posted image

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-daewoo-kalos-1-17-amp-tax8-16/11473921
    Insurance proof bangernomics and ya get a 1.4 engine as opposed to the usual 1.0-1.2L taxed till September and tested till 2017. Could be got for a bit less than asking price too I'd imagine around 700 would be a solid deal. Comes complete with padre pio sticker too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Patww79 wrote: »

you will have to wait, that one is gone. pity, it looked from the one pic posted that it was a nice clean example.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-s-type-high-spec-tax-07-16-nct-03-17/10861009

3 months warranty, 4 months tax and a years test.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-avensis-aura-tourer-5dr/11959315

I know there's no such thing as a nice Toyota on the internet, but for €2k, that's a nice estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭jharr100

Finally got around to putting my own bus up for sale..
    NCT this morning...
    taxed till June!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-saab-95-9-5-arc-lpg-2-0t-taxed-amp-tested/11962155

That's lovely jharr - should get a happy new owner! What did you replace it with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭jharr100

unkel wrote: »
    That's lovely jharr - should get a happy new owner! What did you replace it with?

Nothing yet.. I work offshore so I don't need a daily driver..

I'm looking for something under 1.4 so my young fella can drive it too..
    I'm thinking Golf or Corolla perhaps..

All suggestions are most welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

jharr100 wrote: »
    Nothing yet.. I work offshore so I don't need a daily driver..

I'm looking for something under 1.4 so my young fella can drive it too..
    I'm thinking Golf or Corolla perhaps..

All suggestions are most welcome!

When you are looking for a new car, dont mention that you work offshore or everyone will be very suspicious of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Grand(e) puntonomics:

2005 with recent nct till end of year. €1950

53621742.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement