Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Yamanoto wrote: »

The pricing's a bit optimistic I know but there's quite a bit of wiggle room there too.

I don't think it is. Reasonably priced car in my humble opinion. Wont be for everybody but the guy who wants it will really want it. Keep your powder dry. It'll make a grand (less a luck penny :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Remember I said €2k was too optimistic? With the fresh NCT he should certainly hold out for very close to the €1,300 he is asking. Tell him not to take any silly offers below that.

Someone is going to get a good car here...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I'd previously mentioned an uncle of mine looking to sell his 1994 W124 E200 a few weeks back - Ad went live today.

He's had it since 1999 & has only done about 4k miles a year since then. I'd have jumped at it if it was practical for me to take it on, but alas. :(

The pricing's a bit optimistic I know but there's quite a bit of wiggle room there too.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/w124-mercedes-e200-with-long-nct/10574496?offset=15
    47469393.jpeg
    A really nice car. Good luck with the sale :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I'd previously mentioned an uncle of mine looking to sell his 1994 W124 E200 a few weeks back - Ad went live today.

He's had it since 1999 & has only done about 4k miles a year since then. I'd have jumped at it if it was practical for me to take it on, but alas. :(

[/IMG]

If it was an estate I'd buy it tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

First, an offering:

2001 Toyota Corolla, NCT to Sept 2016 , 1.4l petrol, 106k miles, asking €1200
    (listing says NCT is Oct 2015, but text says "full NCT" and I checked on NCTS website and it's due in Sept 2016).
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/10520115?offset=15

There's a couple of scrapes, the seller has photographed.

RE the 15 year+ insurance issue, and garages apparently trying to purge older stock (like that lovely Volvo estate for €250).
    I know I asked about it before and the response was that some insurers will and some won't, but has anyone experience of the rough €€ or %% cost premium you end up incurring when insuring such an old car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I don't think anyone is paying extortionate money for 15 year old car insurance, I think people are either still getting reasonable quotes from some insurers and the rest are point blank refusing. It's scary really, the one thing I didn't consider when buying my celica was the year, really wish I bought a late 05 or 06 as i'm pretty much guarenteed that my insurable time with my 02 will be up after next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

I don't think anyone is paying extortionate money for 15 year old car insurance, I think people are either still getting reasonable quotes from some insurers and the rest are point blank refusing. It's scary really, the one thing I didn't consider when buying my celica was the year, really wish I bought a late 05 or 06 as i'm pretty much guarenteed that my insurable time with my 02 will be up after next year.
    But will you not be able to get insurance from the few insurers who are still giving quotes?

I'm sure it'l be a blanket ban soon enough. Hopefully by the time late 2016/ early 2017 arrives the prices of GT86's will have dropped below 20k and I can just do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kiket2ride

Hi guys, I'm new here! Recently moved to Ireland and looking for a bangernomics :D
    I've been reading this thread and I love it! I am a german car enthusiast, so BMW, Mercs and VAGs really are my thing.
    Anyways, I was wondering what do you thing about this Merc: cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/automatic-mercedes-1998-beautiful-car-inside-out/10571166
    Thanks guys!

I'm wondering what level of rot those chrome arches are hiding. I'm also enjoying looking at his chequer plate mats while wondering did Mercedes let it leave the factory with a walnut gear knob and a carbon fibre wrapped dashboard. That car is going through a crisis that I wouldn't want to be a part of.

Also, "selling as i'm working full time"... what the ****ing **** does that even mean. Do people with full time jobs not need cars? Actually worse than the emmigrating excuse.

He's selling because it's an unentertaining money pit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'm sure it'l be a blanket ban soon enough. Hopefully by the time late 2016/ early 2017 arrives the prices of GT86's will have dropped below 20k and I can just do that.
    I think its actually impossible to implement a blanket ban, the insurance companies know that they will be forced to give a quote after 3 declinations.
    Legally , the fact that you have to have insurance to drive on the road makes it compulsory to be able to access insurance at a reasonable price.
    If the declined cases committee suddenly get overrun with cases then they will be pressing for reform by the insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kiket2ride

I'm wondering what level of rot those chrome arches are hiding. I'm also enjoying looking at his chequer plate mats while wondering did Mercedes let it leave the factory with a walnut gear knob and a carbon fibre wrapped dashboard. That car is going through a crisis that I wouldn't want to be a part of.

Also, "selling as i'm working full time"... what the ****ing **** does that even mean. Do people with full time jobs not need cars? Actually worse than the emmigrating excuse.

He's selling because it's an unentertaining money pit.

Oh woww, I feel very inexperienced here! Thank you so much for your help!

Kiket2ride wrote: »
    Oh woww, I feel very inexperienced here! Thank you so much for your help!

I could be wrong. The arches could be OEM, it could be a replacement gear knob etc. Just taking it at face value, Mercs wouldn't be my thing, so definitely wait and see what others say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

First, an offering:

2001 Toyota Corolla, NCT to Sept 2016 , 1.4l petrol, 106k miles, asking €1200
    (listing says NCT is Oct 2015, but text says "full NCT" and I checked on NCTS website and it's due in Sept 2016).
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/10520115?offset=15

There's a couple of scrapes, the seller has photographed.
    Terra with front fog lights? Must be owner's DIY upgrade. :D

Front cross member (the one radiator is attached to) is painted in blue. Factory painted them all in matt black, so possibly car has a history. ;)
    RE the 15 year+ insurance issue, and garages apparently trying to purge older stock (like that lovely Volvo estate for €250).
    I know I asked about it before and the response was that some insurers will and some won't, but has anyone experience of the rough €€ or %% cost premium you end up incurring when insuring such an old car?

Just got my 15yrs old corolla insured for 470, FC. 9 years NCB.

joujoujou wrote: »
    Terra with front fog lights? Must be owner's DIY upgrade. :D

Front cross member (the one radiator is attached to) is painted in blue. Factory painted them all in matt black, so possibly car has a history. ;)

Just got my 15yrs old corolla insured for 470, FC. 9 years NCB.

Incorrect. Some of them were color coded from the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

As far as I know your current insurer has to invite renewal annually regardless of the age of the car. It's only when you switch companies or allow the policy to lapse that you might run into problems.

Unregistered Users

Nice strut brace on the red E11, looking for one of those for a while now.

I think that's a TRD brace from an ae111. I have a standard ae111 3 point brace free to a good home if it's any use.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Nice strut brace on the red E11, looking for one of those for a while now.
    TTE or TRD strut brace - rare as hen's teeth. The other one (on black car) is more common factory G6 brace, nearly the same as the ones used in E9 and E10 GTIs (and they fit E11). Got one myself for 10 pounds off ebay a while ago. :)
    [...] I have a standard ae111 3 point brace free to a good home if it's any use.

Go for it CJ!

joujoujou wrote: »
    The other one (on black car) is more common factory G6 brace, nearly the same as the ones used in E9 and E10 GTIs (and they fit E11). Got one myself for 10 pounds off ebay a while ago. :)

That's the one I have here, nice upgrade for the price :P

PM sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Kiket2ride wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm new here! Recently moved to Ireland and looking for a bangernomics :D
    I've been reading this thread and I love it! I am a german car enthusiast, so BMW, Mercs and VAGs really are my thing.
    Anyways, I was wondering what do you thing about this Merc: cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/automatic-mercedes-1998-beautiful-car-inside-out/10571166
    Thanks guys!
    Look up a few posts from yours:
    Yamanoto wrote:
    It's a lot of car for the money imo.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Look up a few posts from yours:

It's a lot of car for the money imo.

I know it's from an era when Mercedes still made good quality products and it has a nice retro look to it now.

I also have a huge amount of respect when I see an older car like that still looking fresh and driven daily, but is it really all that? It looks very basic, hub caps, cloth seats and a dash more spartan that a mk4 golf.

I know it could run until the end of time and maybe it's just my young minded opinion but it's like it totally missed the point of why people buy Mercedes.

Very few bangernomics cars are ever going to be "all that" tbh. It looks great and appears to be a mechanically sound, well-maintained example of a very comfortable way to get around.

Were I looking for a German car I'd be inclined to go for something like that with a bit more character than the ubiquitous 10 year old beamers that I wouldn't have as much faith in mechanically and consider as bland as your average modern Korean car (Not a popular opinion on this forum I'm sure but taste is what it is).

Sleepy wrote: »
    Very few bangernomics cars are ever going to be "all that" tbh. It looks great and appears to be a mechanically sound, well-maintained example of a very comfortable way to get around.

Were I looking for a German car I'd be inclined to go for something like that with a bit more character than the ubiquitous 10 year old beamers that I wouldn't have as much faith in mechanically and consider as bland as your average modern Korean car (Not a popular opinion on this forum I'm sure but taste is what it is).

I like those old mercs because of their quality but tbh they don't really have anymore character than an old beamer. They are arguably a classier car than a beamer of that era however.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I like those old mercs because of their quality but tbh they don't really have anymore character than an old beamer. They are arguably a classier car than a beamer of that era however.
    A beamer of that era would probably have as much character, most of the ones we see here tend to be from a few years later and less interesting IMO. They're great cars but just so common on our roads, and their design language so "samey" across their range that I can't see them as being any more interesting than a Corolla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I know it's from an era when Mercedes still made good quality products and it has a nice retro look to it now.

I also have a huge amount of respect when I see an older car like that still looking fresh and driven daily, but is it really all that? It looks very basic, hub caps, cloth seats and a dash more spartan that a mk4 golf.

I know it could run until the end of time and maybe it's just my young minded opinion but it's like it totally missed the point of why people buy Mercedes.

It's typical of Mercs from that time, they were usually poorly specced as the cost of extras was ridiculous. Mercs were old school, you didn't buy one for buttons and flashing lights, you got one for its quality. I'd rathehr that than a newer one full of gizmos that are permanently going wrong. Anyway, the less stuff you have, the less stuff that can break.

That Merc is a total bargain, look after it and you can sell it in one, two or three years for the same money, if not more. Parts for them are still very cheap, especially if sourced abroad.

Plus you can put that in any car park and it will stand out way more than a 10 year old A4, 3 series etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Red Kev wrote: »
    Parts for them are still very cheap, especially if sourced abroad.

And all parts are still available brand new from Mercedes-Benz (at reasonable enough prices in general). I don't think any other mass car manufacturer offers this service on 20+ year old cars.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement