Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I was looking at that myself, funnily enough ill be out in Clarehall after work so might ask for a test drive. I assume the price is so low due to the size of the engine and it being petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I was looking at that myself, funnily enough ill be out in Clarehall after work so might ask for a test drive. I assume the price is so low due to the size of the engine and it being petrol.

And the fact you'll have to shell out another €710 for tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

I had a 75 Connie for a couple of years - loved it, but it broke my heart.
    Water got in to the boot, and fried the radio. So if you're buying, drill a couple of strategic holes in there.

Then water got into the car itself. The kids had to wear wellies. I had to park it on a slope to scoop out the water!

All that being said, I'd get another one, if the missus would let me, and it was less than a grand, with a year's NCT.

(Mine was diesel. I believe you need to keep an eye on the petrol engine coolant level.)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

I had one of these, and also the 1.6 manual. Great cars, both - they oozed high quality build. Reliability was top notch.
    The V6 had some oomph.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

IMO they are pieces of sh/t, especially the 1.8 petrol engines. Only good engine was the bmw 2.0 diesel. I wouldn't touch one.

Have you owned a number of them?
    I make a hobby out of tidying up the odd rover 75 and selling them on.
    They have a lot going for them and are far from pieces of sh1t.
    Last one had 160k miles on it - 1.8.
    It had had gasket done at 60k miles and had no issues. There are a few things that cause owners problems, most of them due to poor maintenance.
    The biggest cost you are likely to suffer is head gasket on 1.8 petrol. Compare this to the nonsense of dpf and flywheel costs on a recent diesel and it suddenly appears to be a minor issue.
    lots of bmw stuff around them too and supremely comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

mickdw wrote: »
    Have you owned a number of them?
    I make a hobby out of tidying up the odd rover 75 and selling them on.
    They have a lot going for them and are far from pieces of sh1t.
    Last one had 160k miles on it - 1.8.
    It had had gasket done at 60k miles and had no issues. There are a few things that cause owners problems, most of them due to poor maintenance.
    The biggest cost you are likely to suffer is head gasket on 1.8 petrol. Compare this to the nonsense of dpf and flywheel costs on a recent diesel and it suddenly appears to be a minor issue.
    lots of bmw stuff around them too and supremely comfortable.

The build on them is patchy tbh and the k series isn't a great engine in terms of longetivity or reliability. The lack of maintenance argument is just a poor excuse tbh. Those engines just don't age well at all and tend get very noisy and rough as time goes on, suffering from piston slap and the dreaded hg issue.

The 2.0 diesel is really the engine to go for if buying a 75.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The build on them is patchy tbh and the k series isn't a great engine in terms of longetivity or reliability. The lack of maintenance argument is just a poor excuse tbh. Those engines just don't age well at all and tend get very noisy and rough as time goes on, suffering from piston slap and the dreaded hg issue.

The 2.0 diesel is really the engine to go for if buying a 75.

I don't agree.

The 2.0 KV6 is a lovely engine but they need to be maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I don't agree.

The 2.0 KV6 is a lovely engine but they need to be maintained.

The 1.8 is really what I was reffering to. I'd still have the diesel over the kv6 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes the diesel is nice but at the cheaper end, the 1.8 is a give away imo. As I say I've run a few through my hands, generally very late model bought for around 400 or so needing afew bit and they are a solid car.
    Someone wanting comfort for buttons could do alot worse

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-spotless/12183263

MmI0MmNkYTc2ZTQzYWRlMmUwMTgxMTY4M2E5MmI2ODj699G4a-lS7eq6lsz8SzFvaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NTY4MzI1NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

'02 156 1.6, full years test nearly, 1 owner, €650. Impressive mileage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Deposit put on a 03 Avensis, 1850 with a guarantee it will pass it next NCT, ill try get pics tomorrow, thanks for the advice guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The steering wheel and gear knob on that alfa have seen some wear and tear. Yer man must have more rings than MrT.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

unkel wrote: »
    That's already pretty much private sale money. I very much doubt you'd even get €100 off tbh :)

That's because it is a private sale.
    I bought a car from there before, the pic would lead you to think you're buying from that dealer, but it's actually a guy who works there. To be fair, the car I bought had issues at the get-go, and I probably should have walked, but he sorted the issue without a quibble and I liked the car. It gave bother with something else soon after that, but he had made it clear that there was no warranty whatsoever after the initial issue, so I sucked it up.
    Seems to work valeting cars and flips the odd jammer, not that there's anything wrong with that. Just something to be aware of.
    I'd have no issue buying from him again, it's a bit of a lottery at that end of the market anyway, and the car will have been very well valeted at the very least.
    I'd be very tempted to have a look at that Saab too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Jayop wrote: »
    The steering wheel and gear knob on that alfa have seen some wear and tear. Yer man must have more rings than MrT.

It was normal that the steering wheel would crack in the 156. If it spent a lot of time with the sun hitting it eventually it would crack.
    I would know, I've owned two and the same thing happened both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Yjdi_NTg3_Yz_A5_Mj_Q2_NGQ0_MDg1_NDUw_Zm_Iy_NTli_MDAz_NTZAP9_H9.jpg
    post a picture

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1999-523i-tax-and-test-94k/12184976

Nice clean manual e39 523i with test till 2017 and a bit of tax for just €650.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

what are they like to own, is one better off admiring one in another fellas yard

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-spotless/12183263

MmI0MmNkYTc2ZTQzYWRlMmUwMTgxMTY4M2E5MmI2ODj699G4a-lS7eq6lsz8SzFvaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NTY4MzI1NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

'02 156 1.6, full years test nearly, 1 owner, €650. Impressive mileage!

That looks very nice, and I need something before the Guards lift me for no NCT...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/93-corolla-1-3xli-hatchback-tax-09-16-amp-nct-11-16/12194179

YjEwZDFlMTE5NDJhMjJmMmYwZThjMjk2NDM1Mzg1MzgLUMUiJj8CNCjCvhTa6bQVaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NTc0MzI1M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Test till the end of the year, 6 months tax(!) - and you'll get change from €400. Burning a bit of oil but they all do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/93-corolla-1-3xli-hatchback-tax-09-16-amp-nct-11-16/12194179

YjEwZDFlMTE5NDJhMjJmMmYwZThjMjk2NDM1Mzg1MzgLUMUiJj8CNCjCvhTa6bQVaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NTc0MzI1M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Test till the end of the year, 6 months tax(!) - and you'll get change from €400. Burning a bit of oil but they all do ;)

Does it have an airbag, if not would it be hard to insure or could you get classic insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

That car exactly fits the original Bangernomics definition.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Deposit put on a 03 Avensis, 1850 with a guarantee it will pass it next NCT, ill try get pics tomorrow, thanks for the advice guys.

best of luck with her:)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

Saab 95 with new test and LPG. What is 'arc', just a trim level?

https://www.donedeal.ie/adview/view/11962155

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah, arc is a trim level.

I think it goes Linear - Arc - Vector - Aero

I do believe that Saab belongs to someone on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

It's mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Smart choice of car. All the benefits of diesel (well, cheap fuel is the only benefit I suppose :D) and none of the financial headache if something diesel breaks. Also no timing belt to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

modern classic already imho . id daily drive it :cool:

• Advertisement

Wow, great find! Fantastically comfy and the turbo diesel is a great drive and will go for ever. I'd drive that if I didn't have a Tipo!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement