Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

tony1980 wrote: »
    Yep, two days in and a low coolant level light popped on, I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, if it turns out to be a leak from the expansion tank, would this cost much to replace?

My father in law is calling tomorrow, he is a qualified mechanic but doesn't work as one anymore, knows his stuff though so will ask him to have a look for me. Would it be a hard job to do ourselves if it turns out to be this?

Shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to replace I would think if that's all it is. As a guide they seem to be around from €30 upwards on Ebay. There is a bit of ripping to putting them on. A decent mechanic should have job done in an hour or little over I'm guessing unless I'm totally off the mark. Obviously if you can do job yourself all the better. If it is just a leak from the expansion tank you should be counting yourself a lucky man I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

ZTdlMDhhODk3NjcxM2M3YmY4ZWIwZDFmMWI3ZTMwZTWH6jL1Ffi9gMGz9Y55SM-aaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181MDI3MjYxMHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-sport-2-2-i-ctdi/11153092

2006 Civic 2.2 CDTI asking €1,950 from a garage with not a lot of test.
    Pretty cheap for one of these but not for everyone with 200k miles - would nearly want to see a well documented service history myself. Lack of leather would also disappoint but wouldn't be a deal breaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭selectamatic

unkel wrote: »
    The engine is horrible, but I suppose the car is still good value though. Fortunately Toyota have stopped making diesel engines and they source all their diesels from BMW now.

Ya over the course of their production the 1.4 d4d and 2.0d4d lumps were massively unsuccessful and unreliable ;)

The only blip in the last 10 years came in the form of early 1adftv 2.0 and 2adfhv 2.2 suffering some head issues on certain batches but goodwill warranties were extended and many units replaced free of charge something vw or BMW never saw fit to do when it came to some of their own engines.

Whatever way ya cut it in 2005 a 177bhp 4cyl diesel was impressive not horrible they sound unrefined yes but so do most diesels. A massively long 6th gear made the car feel flat but if ya drop a gear before overtaking it's quite obvious it's not.

The sniping and b1tching over different marques creeping into the thread is growing tiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,771 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

diesel was impressive not horrible

Sounds pretty horrible to me. But I guess that's a personal thing, I'm no diesel fan ;)

And anyway you and I can't really argue with Mr Toyota deciding no longer to make his own diesels and that he is better off buying them from BMW, can we?

Sounds pretty horrible to me. But I guess that's a personal thing, I'm no diesel fan ;)

And anyway you and I can't really argue with Mr Toyota deciding no longer to make his own diesels and that he is better off buying them from BMW, can we?

Sure can't ;)

Tbh it's all down to cost and market share imo, Toyota's largest market areas Asia and the US aren't too keen on diesels so developing an all new line of engines to keep up with the competition in Europe wouldnt be too cost effective much easier outsource. (Toyota's own engine designs were nearly 15 years old)

Germany is the home of cutting edge diesel engineering whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is debateable :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

There's some seriously tempting metal here for somebody like me who spends most of my time in the UK at the moment. Would it be a massive ball ache to buy that spotless A8 and drive it straight to the UK with0the intention of registering, putting an MOT on it and driving on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Never knew they put the 2.2 in the Auris. What bhp is it?

180bhp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Sounds pretty horrible to me. But that's a personal thing, I'm no diesel fan ;)

Toyota have made some of the best diesel engines. Also mr Toyota does still makes his own diesel engines. The 1.4d4d for example is still in production and is a fantastic little unit in terms of refinement and reliability.

The reason they stopped using the 2.0d4d was not because bmw make better units(they don't) but because toyotas own unit wouldn't meet new emmisions standards and developing a new unit would not be cost effective for fuel type toyota is moving away from.

You will see that they are now putting their time into hydrogen technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

ZTdlMDhhODk3NjcxM2M3YmY4ZWIwZDFmMWI3ZTMwZTWH6jL1Ffi9gMGz9Y55SM-aaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181MDI3MjYxMHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Pretty cheap for one of these but not for everyone with 200k miles - would nearly want to see a well documented service history myself. Lack of leather would also disappoint but wouldn't be a deal breaker.

First 7th gen Civic in here? Nice car, but I am biased.

€1k tax is a pain in the bollocks, the internet raves about the diesel but any of the ones I drove were average as far as I could feel.

That said, I just paid 3x times that for a 07 petrol model so now I don't really know how to feel :pac:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

You're driving a petrol. Feel good :D

Feel even better when you see who's selling it ...

I've always said it's a real shame we didn't see more of Toyota's GR v6 petrol engines in affordable sporty cars there are some real peaches in that particular engine family.

And now at the risk of causing all out war here's another Toyota

Zj_Vm_ZTdm_Nz_Zm_Mz_Mz_Nj_E3_MDVk_Mm_Q3_Y2_Y2_NWMy_OWNm_MTa_I7_WX0.jpg

Yz_Jh_ZDIy_Mm_Ux_Nj_Fi_YWJl_OGYy_Zjk4_YTYy_YTY5_Mz_Rl_NDNwe_U7_H.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-celica-long-nct-amp-tax/13076146
    Gen6 celica st202
    Test till the end of Oct 17
    Tax till the end of feb17
    Brilliant 3sge engine
    Looks clean all round
    Recent brake work, air-conditioning and supposedly some service history
    Asking €1650

Quick someone find a big cuddly volvo or saab to restore order :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just tried to get a quote on that celica... NO! was the answer :/

FIDL, 39M, 6NCB, 0PP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

The thread really grinds my gears, perfectly good motors going to waste because of the F****** insurance industry. :angry:

I seriously doubt anyone can obtain insurance on that Celica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Never knew they put the 2.2 in the Auris. What bhp is it?

Its the d-cat version in the auris and I believe also the avensis.
    Ours has 177 and 400nm of torque so its a fairly nippy car and 6th seems to work well from 100 up.
    Only downside is the consumption but I can live with it.
    Can surprise a few drivers tbh especially cause most are the 1.4 variant.
    We were also lucky to get the top of the range model so it has everything apart from parking sensors :(

Gen6 celica st202P

At last a nice Toyota. Makes a difference to all that junk on the last few pages :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,932 ✭✭✭Soarer

€3950 in the window. So he's halved the price. Be doggy wide I'd say.

Plus, he has a rep for being a bit of a key hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Toyota have made some of the best diesel engines..

I'm surprised that you would say this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Hal1 wrote: »
    Just tried to get a quote on that celica... NO! was the answer :/

FIDL, 39M, 6NCB, 0PP.

That's the sole reason why such fine motors are so cheap... Wouldn't it qualify as a classic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm guessing if it wasn't a Japanese import it would be possible to insure it.

Not your ornery onager

I waiting for a broker to ring back but that would be monday I'd say. Just curious to see if there is anyone out there that would insure me on such a car. As it's getting harder for us now, and the track will eventually be the only place to enjoy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Hal1 wrote: »
    I waiting for a broker to ring back but that would be monday I'd say. Just curious to see if there is anyone out there that would insure me on such a car. As it's getting harder for us now, and the track will eventually be the only place to enjoy them.

It might be much easier if you want to switch an insurance you already have. Getting a new one would be a nightmare, it is an insurance combo:
    * JDM
    * High performance
    * Oldish, low value
    * Flagged model

I don't plan on being 'king of the cone' tho :o. I'd settle for a classic policy if I could get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I'm just glad I'm over 40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Jaysus, I was just glad when I hit 25!
    Classic policies are the only way to go these days, no shame in it really. They cost shag all and it's much easier to get a quote.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Classic policies are the only way to go these days, no shame in it really. They cost shag all and it's much easier to get a quote.

I just added a 17 year old Porsche to my classic insurance. Fully comprehensive, break down assist, driving other cars, etc. Cost me €50 for the next 8 months :)

Like how could you bait it?
    Not with a big bloody shtick could ya bait that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭job seeker

Jaysus, I was just glad when I hit 25!

What would be the set age on the car, to avail of classic insurance? I'd also assume you'd be required to have a different car which you would be insured for daily commuting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

job seeker wrote: »
    What would be the set age on the car, to avail of classic insurance? I'd also assume you'd be required to have a different car which you would be insured for daily commuting?

First Ireland told me the car needed to be 20years old or over, and you need to have a another insurance policy as your main driver.

I'm not too sure what the rules are the companies up north, but I have heard of some people insuring 15 year old cars with autoline.

Can anyone tell me if any crowd are insuring classics as your daily driver anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-alfa-romeo-147-nct-11-17/13476091

ZWExYmJlMjM2MGMxN2IyOTFlZTlmMzZjZmE0NWU0NjcOiscnJMdxVMroT3v33iI3aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MjM1MzY3MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Idk why the plates have been removed, but an alleged NCT to 11/17 and low miles make this an attractive €1650 buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

For how long more, though ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-e36-compact-1-9ti-2000-dakar-yellow/13309973?campaign=3

OTdjZWY2ZjhiM2FjNjZiMjc2ZTE0OTQ4OTc4ZTM5ODZ0wCvJC0_5FB59v7_k3DGAaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MjMzODgxMnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

A bit pricey but a guaranteed future classic. Individual m sport 318ti with NCT to 10/17 €1800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-e36-compact-1-9ti-2000-dakar-yellow/13309973?campaign=3

OTdjZWY2ZjhiM2FjNjZiMjc2ZTE0OTQ4OTc4ZTM5ODZ0wCvJC0_5FB59v7_k3DGAaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MjMzODgxMnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

A bit pricey but a guaranteed future classic. Individual m sport 318ti with NCT to 10/17 €1800
    That has to be the ugliest BMW I have ever seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

+1 daker yellow too and individual spec sport looks great!

Would hit it every day of the week and twice on Sundays!

Never liked the E36, particularly not the compact. Isn't their suspension based on the ancient E30? Brutal colour too. Still a nice find and it looks like is was very well cared for. I'd say the car had a lot of love all its life.

Never liked the E36, particularly not the compact. Isn't their suspension based on the ancient E30? Brutal colour too. Still a nice find and it looks like is was very well cared for. I'd say the car had a lot of love all its life.

E30 rear suspension set up, e36 up front.
    Supposedly one of the best bmw's for drifting as despite being a "compact" they actally have quite a long wheelbase and the e30 suspension setup is easy to promote oversteer with.

That and the back of the car is only good for bouncing off walls.
    I can't give any love for those Compacts.

That and the back of the car is only good for bouncing off walls.
    I can't give any love for those Compacts.

They're one of the only bmw's I don't really like standard but modded they look quite nice, e36 compact rally cars look very well imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I get a feeling that these videos will go down well in that case...

Obligatory banger - More than double what I paid for mine, with a much shorter NCT on it too....

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/03-peugeot-206-sw/12973624

Mj_Q2_Mz_Qz_NWE4_MDQx_N2_Q1_Nj_Mw_Nz_Fi_Nzk4_Mj_Qy_NTRm_Yj_Bb_VEyk.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-vauxhall-vectra-3-0-cdti-elite-v6-top-spec/12959080

Post 08 tax v6 diesel vectra
    185bhp Isuzu engine supposedly more reliable in these than the saabs where they had cooling problems.
    Test till feb17
    Some sort of dealer selling it
    It'd wanna be well checked over think these are a part belt part chain design so that'd want looking at but either way it's a lot of car for the money
    Asking €2200 but it'll definitely haggle into bangernomics budget

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mj_Q2_Mz_Qz_NWE4_MDQx_N2_Q1_Nj_Mw_Nz_Fi_Nzk4_Mj_Qy_NTRm_Yj_Bb_VEyk.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-vauxhall-vectra-3-0-cdti-elite-v6-top-spec/12959080

Post 08 tax v6 diesel vectra
    185bhp Isuzu engine supposedly more reliable in these than the saabs where they had cooling problems.
    Test till feb17
    Some sort of dealer selling it
    It'd wanna be well checked over think these are a part belt part chain design so that'd want looking at but either way it's a lot of car for the money
    Asking €2200 but it'll definitely haggle into bangernomics budget

It is a Vauxhall which means it is a UK import. Need to do the usual mileage checks.

It is a Vauxhall which means it is a UK import. Need to do the usual mileage checks.

It's easier check the milage on a UK car then an Irish car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Diesel Merc Coupe. Sacrilege for some, either way its the 3.0 litre version, not the 2.2.

NCT to Feb 2017, €2000, excellent colour scheme.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-124-diesel-coupe/12730544

NzRiM2FkM2FjMDI3MTExNjgzZTgwZjAzZWJmZGJiMWOkQ4WGCmcQPD852ksDXBkuaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181ODQ0MDg2Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Wheels don't suit it IMO, but they're easily changed.

NCT to Feb 2017, €2300, so could be got for €2000.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-w124-e220/12421747

YWYzNzdkZTE5NDAyODllOThhOTk2YjIxNWJmMTE4NGIFb4Hab8XKFRB8PNJQAVgkaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181Njg4ODE5MHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I just added a 17 year old Porsche to my classic insurance. Fully comprehensive, break down assist, driving other cars, etc. Cost me €50 for the next 8 months :)
    You can't just dangle that piece of info without at least showing us some pics! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The air con is a major plus as it was the manual cabin fan which made my one a financial write off. You'd want to check it for the bulkhead issue and, if it's not been fitted, add another couple of hundred for the brace kit. I believe there's a cheaper version available but I'd be asking Dara McCormack for a quote about putting one in before I'd rely on an older 9-3 as a daily.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    You can't just dangle that piece of info without at least showing us some pics! ;)

397757.jpg

Was getting dark, but you get the idea. Will take some more pictures in the next few weeks. Just back from a spin down the back roads around here :D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement