Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

unkel wrote: »
    And all parts are still available brand new from Mercedes-Benz (at reasonable enough prices in general). I don't think any other mass car manufacturer offers this service on 20+ year old cars.

British Parts UK carry most of the old S-Type Jaaag stuff, though admittedly some of their prices bring a tear to the eye. Some Ford/Motorcraft parts-bin stuff is identical as well, so that's not so bad. I got a five-way heater valve via Amazon a couple of years back for €100, as opposed to a shade over €300 from Castle Bromwich. :pac:

But yes, the only other car that would properly interest me these days would be a proper old late '80s/early '90s Mercedes. They deliver the correct brick-shathoose-riding-on-butter driving experience with minimal crap. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Ah lads come on let's get the thread back on topic.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e200-kompressor-nct-2-16/10590996?offset=4

Supercharged and with cow - plus nct until feb 2016

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-micra/10590949?offset=9

this won't last long, good beginners car with tax and test. Could probably get your money back once you're done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I get the impression it was in the middle of a 3 car pile up. That front bumper doesn't belong to it, it's colour co-ordinated on an otherwise un-co-ordinated car. Also that rear bumper and bootlid belong on a 01-02 model (the second facelift of the k11) that car is a first facelift. So it's had the front and rear replaced at some point.

On principle it's a good deal but i'd say that particular car is ropey as ****.

Could also be as simple as normal "upgrade" to freshen up the looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

bear1 wrote: »
    Could also be as simple as normal "upgrade" to freshen up the looks after an accident

Fyp :p

Call me a synic but it screams of a dodgy repair. On the front, even the reg plate holder which should be black is painted. It screams of someone too lazy to mask off. And if they were so looks conscious, why would they beat a spurious blade into the contoured wiper arm on the rear, i'd also question why they didn't use the facelift tail lights if they were swapping parts to freshen the looks up.

It could still be a good little car for pottering around town, don't get me wrong, it could just be a pain in the ass with water leaking into the boot and the smell of that stagnant water etc and these are prone to crossmember corrosion at the best of times, so after a slap i'd be extra cautious. Wouldn't be worth it for the risk imo.

Is there a recent change of ownership on it I wonder?

Vehicle Registration Number 00WX5651
    Vehicle Details NISSAN / MICRA
    Change Of Vehicle Ownership
    Transferred to an Individual on : 18/09/2015
    Notified on : 21/09/2015

55d77983c56c9.jpg

Still, at least I got the thread back on topic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Yamanoto wrote: »

Merc sold for full asking this afternoon. :)

Many thanks for all the pointers on pricing folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Merc sold for full asking this afternoon. :)

Many thanks for all the pointers on pricing folks.

The new owner's got a beauty there, hope its gone to a good home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Motoring doesn't come any cheaper. Extra bonus being you don't get to sit in a Micra or the like for this money.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10594819

Motoring doesn't come any cheaper. Extra bonus being you don't get to sit in a Micra or the like for this money.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10594819

ghostbusters_who_you_gonna_call.jpg

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    ghostbusters_who_you_gonna_call.jpg

Don't get it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Don't get it!!!!

No phone number on the ad...

Don't get it!!!!

Try and call up the seller about that car and then see if you get it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 teffergie

But will you not be able to get insurance from the few insurers who are still giving quotes?

I have a 1992 primera 1.6l my insurance last year went up to €510 ( FBD) I got a quote this year for over €900, they brought it down to €886. I couldn't get insurance off of anybody else. I changed cars & insurance companies this week. I got insured on my new 2004 motor for €400

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

teffergie wrote: »
    I have a 1992 primera 1.6l my insurance last year went up to €510 ( FBD) I got a quote this year for over €900, they brought it down to €886. I couldn't get insurance off of anybody else. I changed cars & insurance companies this week. I got insured on my new 2004 motor for €400

What was your original premium?
    In fairness, a lot of premia are going up in last months, and seem to be continuing, e.g.:
    http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/motor-insurance-premiums-to-rise-by-another-25pc-31530709.html

If you simply couldn't get a quote, however, that's perhaps a new phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

Honda Accord I Ctdi Leather Seats 2005

No NCT since April 2013, but only e1650...

My Mechanic swears by these Volvo C70s

44719850.jpeg

"Oo, ya, Focking great car, like, you know. I know zis." He's from Lithuania...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

[URL="[IMG]https://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-vel-satis/8807696[/IMG]"]Are these Vel Satis a hidden gem?[/URL]...

Rare and under-rated, IMO. Fine spacious boat, I like the 2l turbo model.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Honda Accord I Ctdi Leather Seats 2005

No NCT since April 2013, but only e1650...
    Fixerupper thread --> this way.

:P

Bangernomics by the letter of the law but utter dung. Its not in the rules that it has to be dependable but surely its in the spirit of Bangernomics that we wouldn't suggest cars that breakdown more often than a 55 year old separated woman drinking G&T at the bottom of a stairs in her wealthy divorced friends house party at 4 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Bangernomics by the letter of the law but utter dung. Its not in the rules that it has to be dependable but surely its in the spirit of Bangernomics that we wouldn't suggest cars that breakdown more often than a 55 year old separated woman drinking G&T at the bottom of a stairs in her wealthy divorced friends house party at 4 in the morning.

It's this attitude that it'll breakdown all the time that makes cars like this so cheap. That's exactly what the average buyer is going to think so they run out and buy a golf the same age for 50% more at least. That Pug is spectacular value for money, lovely spec and personally I love the colour combination.

If you can find a similarly spec car for the same price with as much test and as clean looking I'll be very very impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

My Mechanic swears by these Volvo C70s

44719850.jpeg

"Oo, ya, Focking great car, like, you know. I know zis." He's from Lithuania...

I think these are really pretty cars:cool: some how remind me of the Maserati 3200GT. Not sure in what way exactly!!! but they do:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    It's this attitude that it'll breakdown all the time that makes cars like this so cheap. That's exactly what the average buyer is going to think so they run out and buy a golf the same age for 50% more at least. That Pug is spectacular value for money, lovely spec and personally I love the colour combination.

If you can find a similarly spec car for the same price with as much test and as clean looking I'll be very very impressed!

Agreed but it Fails badly in the tax band, think it's over a grand for it, so more luxury barge. Be lucky to get any interest at that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ded_Zebra wrote: »

I couldn't agree more. I tend to go for cars that "the man in the pub" reckons are sh1te. Well the man in the pub doesn't know his arse from his elbow and I'm the one laughing buying great cars for peanuts :D

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. I tend to go for cars that "the man in the pub" reckons are sh1te. Well the man in the pub doesn't know his arse from his elbow and I'm the one laughing buying great cars for peanuts :D

It's a lot easier to act like that though when you don't strictly "need" the car to be reliable.

I'm sure that 607 could give years of hassle free driving but if I strictly needed a dependable car I reckon i'd be giving it a wide berth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement