Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

millington wrote: »
    Axa, Carole Nash, Campion, MIG & Autoline also

Well not really. Campion, MIG, and Autoline are only the brokers, someone else underwrites it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Saab 93 LPT with test until next April claiming only 56k miles on the clock for €800
    Auto with bluetooth and parking sensors

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/immaculate-saab-93-lpt-low-millage/12113091

MjdkMDI2MTNmZDAzODhkY2NjMWUzYzZmMDNjYjRmYWOJ5oyLbRCCgR-PAhx4dvD3aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NTMxODg4N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Looks immaculate

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

Saab 93 LPT with test until next April claiming only 56k miles on the clock for €800
    Auto with bluetooth and parking sensors

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/immaculate-saab-93-lpt-low-millage/12113091

Looks immaculate

Looks like a nice car, but this bit: "LPT (low pressure turbo) it is means low petrol consumption" is a bit of a stretch! I'm driving one of these in manual and it's definitely not low fuel consumption. I think in fact the LPT could have slightly worse fuel consumption. It depends a bit on your mix of driving though. (LPT supposed to be a little better for lower-rev/lower-speed, i.e. urban, drive; Normal turbo better on motorway).

Not trying to put anyone off though, could be a very nice car. Do check the service history. If it's had synthetic oil on the right intervals it should be ok. Even if not, worst that happens is it dies and you're down the <800 you spent on it (plus residual tax I guess?). Even though the fuel consumption is high, what you save on depreciation/interest pays for a lot of petrol, and even with the LPT these shift pretty well in terms of acceleration through mid and up to motorway overtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Looks like a nice car, but this bit: "LPT (low pressure turbo) it is means low petrol consumption" is a bit of a stretch! I'm driving one of these in manual and it's definitely not low fuel consumption. I think in fact the LPT could have slightly worse fuel consumption. It depends a bit on your mix of driving though. (LPT supposed to be a little better for lower-rev/lower-speed, i.e. urban, drive; Normal turbo better on motorway).

Not trying to put anyone off though, could be a very nice car. Do check the service history. If it's had synthetic oil on the right intervals it should be ok. Even if not, worst that happens is it dies and you're down the <800 you spent on it (plus residual tax I guess?). Even though the fuel consumption is high, what you save on depreciation/interest pays for a lot of petrol, and even with the LPT these shift pretty well in terms of acceleration through mid and up to motorway overtaking.

I drive a Saab 93 2003 LPT. I bought it for €900. I get 38mpg on motorway. In town not so good, but thats not what its for! On B roads at 90/100kph I get just over 40. Its going to be more trustworthy than an equivalent diesel of the same era in terms of flywheel/cam belt worries. The equivalent diesel will get better mpg, but not by as much as can be justified in my view. Top that with the fact that in 5 mins it can be mapped to 220bhp and still retain similar mpg if you don't have a lead foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Really like these, the first brisk diesel of that size car. Taxed as 2.0 as its 1905cc though.

Yes, and if I am correct, the coolant preheats the diesel. In which case, it will take SVO. You can pay the excise directly to Revenue (although they won't like it) and put either a winter mix, or straight summer SVO with a dash of kero or petrol into that baby and add a bit of hypermiling and you are in bangernomics commuter heaven :D

Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-21-txi/11575455

NGUxNTg3NDRmMmEwYzljM2MzZTExMGY0NjFmZDBhNWFU54xjLYn_7H5itAUMV4DDaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181MjM3ODE1MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

If you didn't do much driving, and could bag a classic policy [should have very little difficulty] this would certainly make for a left field choice of transport. A fresh one year NCT cert is always reassuring on an older car. The seller is doing himself no favours with his obstinate pricing, mind.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v70-cross-country-all-wheel-drive-awd/11698907

MWJjZTU2NTM5ODYzZjkyODFlZGExZTk3NDI0YjliYjFS8YEaIaoTlgz2ixxCFfQzaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181MzAxMDYzNXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Never too early to prepare for Winter. NCT 3/17 - €1250

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

ligertigon wrote: »
    I drive a Saab 93 2003 LPT. I bought it for €900. I get 38mpg on motorway. In town not so good, but thats not what its for! On B roads at 90/100kph I get just over 40. Its going to be more trustworthy than an equivalent diesel of the same era in terms of flywheel/cam belt worries. The equivalent diesel will get better mpg, but not by as much as can be justified in my view. Top that with the fact that in 5 mins it can be mapped to 220bhp and still retain similar mpg if you don't have a lead foot!

I'm driving a 2002 2.0LPT 93. Bought for €900 in December. Have driven 8k miles since then and over that averaged 9.25 l/100km based on fuel tracking. I'm doing about 800 km a week of motorway driving. Spent more on petrol by now than on the car. Really like the car :)

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-525i-new-nct/12163046

ZTA4ZTI3NTY1MmQ4ODk2YTZmYTVmZGJlZDdkMmI3Y2Wq9ev5e28yPRYBe9SfmSB-aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NTU3OTAzNnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Nice looking 525 auto with a years test for under a grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-21-txi/11575455

NGUxNTg3NDRmMmEwYzljM2MzZTExMGY0NjFmZDBhNWFU54xjLYn_7H5itAUMV4DDaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181MjM3ODE1MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

If you didn't do much driving, and could bag a classic policy [should have very little difficulty] this would certainly make for a left field choice of transport. A fresh one year NCT cert is always reassuring on an older car. The seller is doing himself no favours with his obstinate pricing, mind.

What's stubborn about the price? Seems bang on for that considering the long NCT, classic insurance qualification and very nice spec.

bear1 wrote: »
    What's stubborn about the price? Seems bang on for that considering the long NCT, classic insurance qualification and very nice spec.

The fact that he isn't willing to budge at all on the price does not bode well with me. It has been for sale a long time, it isn't as if he will have people queuing up to buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Zj_Ay_ZWY2_ZThm_Yz_Yx_N2_Fi_Mz_M2_Yz_Rh_Mz_Zj_NWM0_Nm_Y5_NWEn_CZs.jpg
    photo hosting

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1996-celica-st202-nct-and-taxed-until-jan-2017/12194968

clean unmolested celica st202 tax and test till 2017! Toyota's brilliant 3sge engine in a cheap package and that's before the amount of tax on the car is taken into account, a bit of a haggle and you'd be away with it. Great sporty bangernomics. solid buy for any man lucky enough to have reasonable insurance costs, a classic policy would be the job but the jap import part may hinder that.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Most Saabs of that age were LPT. They were so heavy the non-LPTs were crap - really slow. Anyway at €800 you wont be worried about an extra €20 a week on petrol. The LPT versions were fairly quick - not s*** of a shovel quick but not half bad. And not being full turbo they dont load your insurance AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

The fact that he isn't willing to budge at all on the price does not bode well with me. It has been for sale a long time, it isn't as if he will have people queuing up to buy it!

Someone posted they had spotted that car on the road and that it had mismatched panels. Haven't seen it myself however. Spec is odd too with the leather and as you point out the price has been high and dropping without a sale for what must be over 6 months now.

I'd personally like to see it in the flesh but they are notorious for rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Someone posted they had spotted that car on the road and that it had mismatched panels. Haven't seen it myself however. Spec is odd too with the leather and as you point out the price has been high and dropping without a sale for what must be over 6 months now.

I'd personally like to see it in the flesh but they are notorious for rust.

It must be rough. If it was clean it would be snapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Damn, I wish I saw that before the ad was taken down. Anyone remember much about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Dark green Golf mk4 estate. Think it was 130bhp.
    Comfortline, cream interior. Enthusiast owned, think the mileage was very handy on it.

This is the seller
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiesta-mk1-and-mk2-parts/12018430

Sounds very good.
    And the price? Pls don't torture me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

GvidoR wrote: »
    Sounds very good.
    And the price? Pls don't torture me. :(

Was it something like 1200? IIRC!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

^1250euro

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Bandito909 wrote: »
    ^1250euro

Yes! It also looked spotless!

Taxed for the year and all!

Ow.

Not really though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Consider it a bullet dodged.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Consider it a bullet dodged.

How come?

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Most Saabs of that age were LPT. They were so heavy the non-LPTs were crap - really slow. Anyway at €800 you wont be worried about an extra €20 a week on petrol. The LPT versions were fairly quick - not s*** of a shovel quick but not half bad. And not being full turbo they dont load your insurance AFAIK.
    When you say "non-LPT" and that they were slow, you mean with no turbo at all? Those probably would have been crap. Not sure was it in 2002 line-up, but they had "1.8" 9-3s which in fact were a 2.0l 9-3 without turbo (still has 2.0l tax though).

When I say "non-LPT" I mean "with normal (higher) pressure turbo" or even better "HOT" (High Output Turbo). Most of the cars sold back then (and now on used market) seem to be the 154bhp LPT, but I'd rather have a 185bhp regular turbo or the 205 (or whatever) HOT. Haven't heard any downside to the 185bhp variant.

Regarding insurance: not sure about the loading. What I have found is that the Saab 93 is probably a little bit harder to insure than some others. My data is looking for quotes for my wife who's only got named driver experience. Axa would happily quote her online for that VW Golf diesel, even though it's 2001; would also quote her for the old Citroen ZX that was posted here (which was even older, 1995 or something). But put in a 2002 Saab 93 (LPT) and no dice, so it's not just the 15 year criteria. Ditto for a newer Saab 95.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

When you say "non-LPT" and that they were slow, you mean with no turbo at all? Those probably would have been crap. Not sure was it in 2002 line-up, but they had "1.8" 9-3s which in fact were a 2.0l 9-3 without turbo (still has 2.0l tax though).

When I say "non-LPT" I mean "with normal (higher) pressure turbo" or even better "HOT" (High Output Turbo). Most of the cars sold back then (and now on used market) seem to be the 154bhp LPT, but I'd rather have a 185bhp regular turbo or the 205 (or whatever) HOT. Haven't heard any downside to the 185bhp variant.

Regarding insurance: not sure about the loading. What I have found is that the Saab 93 is probably a little bit harder to insure than some others. My data is looking for quotes for my wife who's only got named driver experience. Axa would happily quote her online for that VW Golf diesel, even though it's 2001; would also quote her for the old Citroen ZX that was posted here (which was even older, 1995 or something). But put in a 2002 Saab 93 (LPT) and no dice, so it's not just the 15 year criteria. Ditto for a newer Saab 95.

My 1997 Saab 93 non-turbo was slow. My 1993 Saab 9900 LPT was not. I dont know what the BHP of either car was. Thats all I know 😄

• Advertisement

In the later model Saab 93, the 1.8i was a 1.8 normally aspirated engine like you'd get in a Vectra. They had a 1.8t which was a lower bhp 2.0 turbo engine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement