Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Classy Lassie hauler. NCT Jan 17. €1,150 but grand could take it.

NzVmYTgzMTkwZGIyY2M2NTIxMTViMzQyNjA4NGNmMjHpAyuMlA8bNU6tbcuRWFMnaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NjA5NjI5NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

In any other country in Europe a good condition car like that is eminently sellable and even desirable as an affordable reliable solid family car. In Ireland its old and high tax. What a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

In any other country in Europe a good condition car like that is eminently sellable and even desirable as an affordable reliable solid family car. In Ireland its old and high tax. What a shame.
    that gear lever does not look like a manual job, perhaps i am wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

flutered wrote: »
    that gear lever does not look like a manual job, perhaps i am wrong

auto alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

In Europe theres no shame in driving a good condition 15-20 year old barge. In Spain 20 year old Mercs serve as comfy taxis. In France farmers drive their 405 or 406s for decades. But here, we seem obsessed with the number on the reg plate. The punitive tax system on older cars obviously isn't helping.. But if we were really being green , we'd try and keep older cars on the road as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

jharr100 wrote: »
    In Europe theres no shame in driving a good condition 15-20 year old barge. In Spain 20 year old Mercs serve as comfy taxis. In France farmers drive their 405 or 406s for decades. But here, we seem obsessed with the number on the reg plate. The punitive tax system on older cars obviously isn't helping.. But if we were really being green , we'd try and keep older cars on the road as long as possible.

The motor ''industry'' in this country is a strong crony lobby and things are rigged in their favour. There is nothing environmentally friendly about creating a situation where people who drive older (but perfectally serviceable) cars are penalised by way of punitive taxation and contrived insurance hikes. The cronies in the motor ''industry'' have to be kept happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

The motor ''industry'' in this country is a strong crony lobby and things are rigged in their favour. There is nothing environmentally friendly about creating a situation where people who drive older (but perfectally serviceable) cars are penalised by way of punitive taxation and contrived insurance hikes. The cronies in the motor ''industry'' have to be kept happy.

For what its worth, I am awaiting feedback from sustainable energy Ireland, regarding what they are doing about the motor insurance industry. Regarding a new car being higher in carbon emissions than a 15 year old car....

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

ligertigon wrote: »
    For what its worth, I am awaiting feedback from sustainable energy Ireland, regarding what they are doing about the motor insurance industry. Regarding a new car being higher in carbon emissions than a 15 year old car....

Dont hold your breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Dont hold your breath.
    To a degree.
    But they are a public accountable body, and label themselves as the leading role players in sustainable energy.
    Couple with that, the fact that you can't defend the indefensible..

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

ligertigon wrote: »
    To a degree.
    But they are a public accountable body, and label themselves as the leading role players in sustainable energy.
    Couple with that, the fact that you can't defend the indefensible..

Yes agreed. Sorry to come across as cynical as I agree with you but SEAI us another jobs-for-the-boys brigade. They wont do anything to upset the motor trade or government like a statement to the effect that keeping older cars on the road saves the carbon used in making new ones tto replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

visual wrote: »
    auto alright

Yes auto, some early signs of rust visible from pictures too. But, as LTL correctly pointed out, these are small issues that can be rectified easily (rust, not the auto).
    Car is a dinger of a car for that money and should be snapped up unless there is something serious wrong with it. Great find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-celica/12026402

Ah lads, €450 asking. A full years NCT on it.

Yeah it's auto but still, it looks well kept. I wonder is it a 3sfe, even if it is, it's still cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-legacy-new-nct-quick-sale/11566408

ZmQ4YmU1NWE0OWIwYTM2NjIwNTZmOGZkYmVkM2FjMzVNjUwK22j1ewr5OIRQjSKbaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181MjMzMTA4Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Test till 3/17 and 3 months tax - seems like seriously good value to me at €1700

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭circadian

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-celica/12026402

Ah lads, €450 asking. A full years NCT on it.

Yeah it's auto but still, it looks well kept. I wonder is it a 3sfe, even if it is, it's still cheap.

Looks like a Japanese import. I get thefeeling insurance is overpriced.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-legacy-new-nct-quick-sale/11566408

ZmQ4YmU1NWE0OWIwYTM2NjIwNTZmOGZkYmVkM2FjMzVNjUwK22j1ewr5OIRQjSKbaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181MjMzMTA4Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Test till 3/17 and 3 months tax - seems like seriously good value to me at €1700

For a manual, it sure looks like an automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

For a manual,

It is not a manual
    it sure looks like an automatic.

That's because it is an automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

It is not a manual

That's because it is an automatic.

I think that was Drakovich's point.

In the "Key Info" part of the ad the transmission is specified as Manual.

Brian Scan wrote: »
    I think that was Drakovich's point.

In the "Key Info" part of the ad the transmission is specified as Manual.

Even the seller says so in the description:
    Subaru legacy 2.0 petrol automatic!!!! CASH ONLY no swap

Even the seller says so in the description:

I read the ad. The car is described as both "Manual" and "Automatic"

I read the ad. The car is described as both "Manual" and "Automatic"

So on balance, which do you think it is? Manual or Automatic?

So on balance, which so you think it is? Manual or Automatic?

It is quite obviously an automatic, as Drakovich's post pointed out.
    It would appear that he read the "Key Info" part of the ad, saw the picture showing that the car was an auto and then posted.

• Advertisement

It is quite obviously an automatic,

Thank you! :D

Thank you! :D

You're very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

How do you put in gear? Manually?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Soarer wrote: »
    How do you put in gear? Manually?

No you select 'D' mode and the automatic gearbox decides which gear to put the transmission into before it balances the clutch and torque converter to deliver the power to the wheels. Nothing manual about it other than select which driving mode you want to be in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Now that we've established that the scoob is an auto, and how to put it in D.

Let's get back to some chape motors.

Here's a saab,

I might call for a quote and go buy this, get in there before me please

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-93-aero-205bhp-nct-05-17/12288755

OTgwNzM2MWM0ZmYxZjNiYTliYmNmYTRjZDU2YzU4Y2MzLw_iQgalIQHnR8B5N7PNaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NjIxODE3Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Id just like to add, if there is no clutch pedal its not a manual :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

No you select 'D' mode and the automatic gearbox decides which gear to put the transmission into before it balances the clutch and torque converter to deliver the power to the wheels. Nothing manual about it other than select which driving mode you want to be in :D

What about reverse? Is that not a gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Soarer wrote: »
    What about reverse? Is that not a gear?

No, you're telling the automatic gearbox what mode you want to be put into. Try change into reverse at 60 miles an hour on an autobox and see if it sticks it into gear.

that's the end of my involvement.. more bangers less of whatever that was

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Now that we've established that the scoob is an auto, and how to put it in D.

Let's get back to some chape motors.

Here's a saab,

I might call for a quote and go buy this, get in there before me please

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-93-aero-205bhp-nct-05-17/12288755

OTgwNzM2MWM0ZmYxZjNiYTliYmNmYTRjZDU2YzU4Y2MzLw_iQgalIQHnR8B5N7PNaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NjIxODE3Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    the 205 bhp is an insurance companys dream, blled you to death on the quote, or say sorry mr flutered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

flutered wrote: »
    the 205 bhp is an insurance companys dream, blled you to death on the quote, or say sorry mr flutered

Quick online quote of 1500 - f.c.

I'd imagine It'd be a good whack cheaper on a walk in too. Not too bad really..

Intergalacticnomics:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo-2-0tdci-new-nct-07-06-2017/12288714

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement