Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Wow that Alfa tempts me big style!
    No badges on back - maybe had new bumper at some stage?

(or if its like my wifes one, had all the scuffs repainted) :p

Maybe just a factory de-badge? Don't know if that is an option on Alfas, but it is quite common on BMWs for example. Zero cost factory option. And not just popular for the base models either...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

colm_mcm wrote: »

That is one gorgeous car.

Is it cheaper to keep on the road than it's predecessor, the 156?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I dunno, would you buy a car from a breakers yard? if it had any damage they wouldn't be long covering it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The car looks great but the seats are a bit gank.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hal1 wrote: »
    I dunno, would you buy a car from a breakers yard? if it had any damage they wouldn't be long covering it up.

The NCT was done a year ago, plenty of time for a fistful of faults to pop up.
    But then, that's what giving it the once over is for....

There's another one there, an 07 model for even less money, but doesn't qualify for Bangernomics because the NCT is out since Jan 16 :(

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The NCT was done a year ago, plenty of time for a fistful of faults to pop up.
    But then, that's what giving it the once over is for....

There's another one there, an 07 model for even less money, but doesn't qualify for Bangernomics because the NCT is out since Jan 16 :(

That 07 is a beut. I'd love a few interior pics but the NCT being out wouldn't bother me much if it's tight to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Hal1 wrote: »

Meh, I'd buy a car form anyone if I fancied it. If it was the same price from a private seller would you be any more or less worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Well treat it like any other sale, but just be vigilant and check all the panel gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Pity its not the greatest engine for that car.

None of the engines are the greatest. The diesel has a good reputation, but even a DMF job would cost more than that car is worth. 1.9 petrol is probably the best bangernomics choice or the 1.8 if you don't mind playing belt roulette...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

Eh?

Wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Belongs here: LUXOBARGE of the week/day

edit: it doesn't even belong there as its above €5k

Ah it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Opinions on this please. Blue 2 litre petrol Mondeo Ghia in Kildare.
    Apologies,unable to post link.

unkel wrote: »
    None of the engines are the greatest. The diesel has a good reputation, but even a DMF job would cost more than that car is worth. 1.9 petrol is probably the best bangernomics choice or the 1.8 if you don't mind playing belt roulette...

The 2.2 is supposed to be quite good and the diesel as you said are very good too.
    The 3.2 V6 would be a great one or the 1.8 Tbi but it's a very rare engine to find.

bear1 wrote: »
    The 2.2 is supposed to be quite good and the diesel as you said are very good too.
    The 3.2 V6 would be a great one or the 1.8 Tbi but it's a very rare engine to find.

V6 is pretty crappy substitute for the Alfa Busso, not a sane mind would pay max tax for a bangernomics car with that engine...

2.2 is still a crappy GM 4-pot with nearly €1,000 motor tax. No thanks. Unsellable too. I'd prefer an even crappier GM 4-pot with €600 tax when it comes to bangernomics

Agree with the last one, it's a peach. But we won't see a 159 with that engine in here for another good few years

V6 is pretty crappy substitute for the Alfa Busso, not a sane mind would pay max tax for a bangernomics car with that engine...

2.2 is still a crappy GM 4-pot with nearly €1,000 motor tax. No thanks. Unsellable too. I'd prefer an even crappier GM 4-pot with €600 tax when it comes to bangernomics

Agree with the last one, it's a peach. But we won't see a 159 with that engine in here for another good few years

Ah you mean in a bangernomics sense? Then yeah I'd agree, I thought you meant in general.
    Tbh I wouldn't go for a GM product, I'd much prefer to buy myself a GTA if I had the cash.

This is the bangernomics thread after all? :p

An '06 Alfa 159 1.8 would make a great bangernomics buy for €1,650 imho. Still fresh looking, a lot of car for the money. Reasonably reliable. A bit too good to be true I would fear though. These need a new belt every 4 years and I bet one is already overdue here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Jayop wrote: »
    That 07 is a beut. I'd love a few interior pics but the NCT being out wouldn't bother me much if it's tight to drive.

It probably wont be tight to drive unless wishbones have been replaced recently. Bought a 159 for my wife last October ( 2007 1.8 with 220K for 2400euro) and replaced all the moving bits. Transformed it into a new car again, drives great. Over 400 euro in parts alone ( Factors here quoted nearly a grand!)

W8IwVuL.jpg

1.8 is a bit gutless but seems reliable - check for oil leaks around oil cooler behind filter. Its a bugger to fix - manifold off job.

Otherwise its been grand - 10,000 kms in last 6 months @ 7.6 l/100km and no other problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

no mention of milage - probably intergalactic - but very clean looking for small monies with good length test

MTUyMGUwYjJkMWI2YjMxODRiM2E2MTBjZWRhMTM1MDO8HMOStR5sFbps7Ih_9f9taHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NjIwMzU1MHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

^^

Looks like 89916 miles on the NCT cert?

looking for small monies

Even better than that. The seller is giving it away for free. The ad says "no price" :D

Even better than that. The seller is giving it away for free. The ad says "no price" :D

Thats really silly of the seller.

Was €400 iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Was €400 iirc

€406 maybe? ;)

edit: €479 on the other ad, why is it not gone? its lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Buffman

A lads, give Mike Brewer a break, I'm surpised he finds the time to sell cars over here being so busy with his TV show!:D

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

jelutong wrote: »
    Opinions on this please. Blue 2 litre petrol Mondeo Ghia in Kildare.
    Apologies,unable to post link.

This one?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/12222690
    Ford Mondeo Ghia 06

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

It probably wont be tight to drive unless wishbones have been replaced recently. Bought a 159 for my wife last October ( 2007 1.8 with 220K for 2400euro) and replaced all the moving bits. Transformed it into a new car again, drives great. Over 400 euro in parts alone ( Factors here quoted nearly a grand!)

W8IwVuL.jpg

1.8 is a bit gutless but seems reliable - check for oil leaks around oil cooler behind filter. Its a bugger to fix - manifold off job.

Otherwise its been grand - 10,000 kms in last 6 months @ 7.6 l/100km and no other problems.

On this note, I left my 05 A4 avant in to Audi for timing belt/water pump. While they were at it they did a safety check and came back with an advisory that stated the car needed new brake disks, pads, upper and lower link arms and bushes. I asked for a quote for the work and they came back with €3400!
    I went online and bought QH stuff for €320 and had it fitted for €100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

emeldc wrote: »
    This one?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/12222690
    Ford Mondeo Ghia 06

That's the one. Looks good value. I will have a look at it over the weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement