Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

True what you say colm re. prestige:tax. I recall a friend of my dad's having a green manual one with cloth seats. Misery!!

Also the more I look at that hybrid Civic the more I'm liking it for myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The front view of that car reminds all too well of a time in my motoring youth of a view in my mirrors when my right foot was a little too heavy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Those cars are fantastic, my better half has owned two of them and they just went and went, nothing ever went wrong on them either, her choice of car for about 10 years. She replaced the 2nd one with a Mazda 2, same car again, and drove that until it was written off :(
    Still, a Demio, with a regular service, will run forever

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Those cars are fantastic, my better half has owned two of them and they just went and went, nothing ever went wrong on them either, her choice of car for about 10 years. She replaced the 2nd one with a Mazda 2, same car again, and drove that until it was written off :(

I was just going to post the same thing. My other half also had one as her first car and only sold it because she fancied a change, she always says she has never had a car as reliable since (Mazda 626 and Honda Civic included which will tell you how reliable the Demio was).
    It's no looker but anyone looking for cheap, trouble free motoring could do much much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

9-5 with tractor engine. Week of tax, NCT to 04/17. Full cow interior. €1350.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-95-2004-diesel-nct-amp-tax/12152005

YjFmNjRjNmM2Y2Y5MDJkMGVhNTYyNDBmZjhmMzg1M2NaUDMu1_dHpvQIc299cYOaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NjMxODMzMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement

728i with 13 months NCT. Interior colour probably subjective. Listed €2250 but any good haggler should be able to get it to 2k you'd imagine. Claims of a lot of recent work done.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-7-series-728i-auto-new-nct-2250/9212710

MDNjMjY0YWIxNzJkNDkxMmNhOWIyNmRlODk3MDQ4MDBOPI_1f_ibx2Ol0fnQq-HGaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NDU4NTU3OHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

MDkyMDkyOGVlZGRjNjRiNjBkMWUxZDMyZmQ3ZjM0OTcP0UFH-zXlXOKCBT0q53tIaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b180MzYxOTEwOXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Low mileage (99k) 2007 Pug 407 1.8 petrol. NCt to 02/17. €1650.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-407-1-8-i-16v-st-solaire/12283575

NDkxMWI4N2QxZjEzMWM3ZDVlMTY2YzQxMTdjNWY4MmVjfUitZwxZYtRcyOKa8Ll6aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NjE4NTMzM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

9-5 with tractor engine.

Tractor indeed :D

I'd avoid the old skool 2.2 - for a couple of hundred more you'd get the excellent (well, excellent for a diesel that is) FIAT 1.9 diesel engine

And if you don't do mega miles, you'd be better off again with the petrol turbos...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

My own bangernomics for sale;

Technically doesn't qualify as no NCT but only minor items needed.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/bmw/5-series/2001-bmw-5-series/10542041

I'll take 800 for it. It's a fabulous car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Fixer upper thread probably suits it better to be fair.

Glws surely will go on its way easy enough at the money

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Low mileage (99k) 2007 Pug 407 1.8 petrol. NCt to 02/17. €1650.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-407-1-8-i-16v-st-solaire/12283575

NDkxMWI4N2QxZjEzMWM3ZDVlMTY2YzQxMTdjNWY4MmVjfUitZwxZYtRcyOKa8Ll6aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NjE4NTMzM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Lovely, but the 1.6 diesel station wagon is nicer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Plus it was the first car I ever owned... in Gran Turismo :D

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alpha-romeo-145/12394009

ZDQyZmQ4YmI3YWM2ODY2ODdlMTQ3Zjk5MmFjMGRkMDHNLGiPoi55bFydlbKwzrSqaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181Njc0ODM2Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Nice looking 145 with NCT until Jan '17 for €775

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/98-saab-93-ncted-10-16/12393852

MzRhN2Y3NDIxZTY4M2E0MWE1OGVlZjJlYTViYjQwOGPpG1G3PrwUyA9y-PSEptpjaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181Njc0NzYwMHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

5 months NCT on this old smoker for €350.

rizzodun wrote: »
    Plus it was the first car I ever owned... in Gran Turismo :D

Me too!
    First time I'd come across them.
    Very good seating position too, plenty of room, just a decent automobile through and through .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭blackbox

Nice looking 145 with NCT until Jan '17 for €775

oxymoron!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Yj_A4_Nz_Fk_Nj_Ux_Zj_Qy_YTQ0_ZDRi_NGNl_OTFm_ODdh_Yz_E4_ZDX_n_Jdo.jpg

OTY2_Yjkx_Yzdk_Zm_I1_ODhl_MDFk_Nzg2_Mjk4_ZDcx_Mj_Fm_OGb_Vmfvi.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/12367651
    Honda Civic 1.4

2001 ep civic 5dr
    Tax till August
    Test till April 17
    Minor marks outside but very clean looking inside.
    Ridiculous halford spec alloys.
    €450 I'd suspect less with a haggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Long time follower and devotee of the bangernomics, selling the current bus.

The brother has made me an offer I can't refuse on his old car, so this one has to go. There's lots of trouble free miles left in it and I had no intention of letting it go until now. Not the sexiest motor out there by a long shot, but it has never given bother and is very unlikely to in the future.
    It's a 20 minute job to do the oil and filters, which I have done every 5-6k, I have used it as a commuter for 2 years and 25K miles. Everything works as it should, it drives like a dream and I'll be very sorry to see it go.

The amount of space in it with the seats folded under the floor is astonishing, I loved the shock on the faces of the dude in homebase when I took away a full set of patio furniture in it one Saturday.

I'm 6'2" with back problems and I've been very comfortable in it, there's a tonne of headspace and loads of little cubbbies to keep stuff.

I'm happy to take a bit of a hit on what I paid as the new insurance cartel rules have not been kind to motors this age. It has a fresh NCT and I have the previous certs. It hasn't needed oil top ups like some vvti's and if the current deal hadn't come along I'd be driving it for another few years. It's had a new wheel bearing and brake lines in my ownership, but apart from oil and filters, tyres and brake pads has never needed anything whilst I have it. There's even a bit of tax left on it.
    Utterly reliable motoring for mountain bike money, if a caller mentions bangernomics, I'll fill the tank and knock a (fair) few bob off.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/toyota/yaris/1-yr-nct-and-taxed-toyota-yaris-verso/10561339?notification=fa7ab4ecf8c572d9068ad72bd4ff18ef-1464114908

YTYzNDY0YzM4NTNmNTFiZjRjNjdjZDhiYjQ5MDMyNGUDnvH7FwVrIAVSyGw1Z3KZaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZmY1ZjViMDI2N2UyYmQ3OTA0MWIwYWQ4Yzc0Zjc3OGNmYzM5NmI2MzkzNTdjNzU4Yjg3ZWI3Zjc1ODhjNGJjNS5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpghttp:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Long time follower and devotee of the bangernomics, selling the current bus.

The brother has made me an offer I can't refuse on his old car, so this one has to go. There's lots of trouble free miles left in it and I had no intention of letting it go until now. Not the sexiest motor out there by a long shot, but it has never given bother and is very unlikely to in the future.
    It's a 20 minute job to do the oil and filters, which I have done every 5-6k, I have used it as a commuter for 2 years and 25K miles. Everything works as it should, it drives like a dream and I'll be very sorry to see it go.

The amount of space in it with the seats folded under the floor is astonishing, I loved the shock on the faces of the dude in homebase when I took away a full set of patio furniture in it one Saturday.

I'm 6'2" with back problems and I've been very comfortable in it, there's a tonne of headspace and loads of little cubbbies to keep stuff.

I'm happy to take a bit of a hit on what I paid as the new insurance cartel rules have not been kind to motors this age. It has a fresh NCT and I have the previous certs. It hasn't needed oil top ups like some vvti's and if the current deal hadn't come along I'd be driving it for another few years. It's had a new wheel bearing and brake lines in my ownership, but apart from oil and filters, tyres and brake pads has never needed anything whilst I have it. There's even a bit of tax left on it.
    Utterly reliable motoring for mountain bike money, if a caller mentions bangernomics, I'll fill the tank and knock a (fair) few bob off.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/toyota/yaris/1-yr-nct-and-taxed-toyota-yaris-verso/10561339?notification=fa7ab4ecf8c572d9068ad72bd4ff18ef-1464114908

best of luck with the sale . nice roomey car for not a lot of money

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Can't say fairer than that. Best of luck with your sale. I don't think it will take you long to sell it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

That Yaris looks clean as a whistle to be fair.

Jayop wrote: »
    That Yaris looks clean as a whistle to be fair.
    Thanks, the chisellers use the wifes car :), I've always kept it clean and polished, the odd school run, but mostly just in and out to work. It's not mint, but it's tight as can be. It's a very reluctant sale, if there was someone in the family that could take it, it wouldn't be for sale at all.
    They're a cracking little car, I started looking for one almost immediately after having driven one that belonged to a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

What's replacing it?

bear1 wrote: »
    What's replacing it?

A golf tdi, same colour, kids probably won't even notice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Has time been kind to the Yaris Verso? I think so.
    They're still no oil painting, but they're not as oddball looking as they were 15 years ago.

Toyota really missed a trick with the Yaris Verso, they should have kept the Japanese market Fun Cargo name, and should have offered it as a van as they did in the Netherlands.
    the doblo, Berlingo, Kangoo etc proved People will buy ugly cars as long as the excuse for the styling is that they're based on a van.

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Over budget I know but with 11 months test and full history according to the ad. First banger X5? I think so :cool:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/01-bmw-x5-petrol-nctd/12359650

MjYwYWJmNWY1MTc4N2NmY2FjOGRhMDEzNGM4ZGZkOTlkE0tMpwB6AoFQoGQL_6OCaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NjU4MDkxMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

The tax alone is nearly over Bangernomics money!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The tax alone is nearly over Bangernomics money!

Was just going to say anything with more than a 2.0 would kind of defeat the idea of a bangernomic due to the massive tax you'd be paying on it!

But then, there's some savage cars, like the Jags that pop up here, beautiful pieces of engineering that are rendered useless to the normal driver because they cost €160 a month in car tax.
    In other territories, with lower tax, fairer insurance and lower excise on fuel, they would be in demand, probably the RHD nature limits their exportability

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement