Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

unkel wrote: »
    Why anyone in their right mind would pay more for that '97 banger Carina (€650) than for that very presentable '01 Accord (€550) is beyond me.

If the cars are anything like they are in the pics then that accord is a much better buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    If the cars are anything like they are in the pics then that accord is a much better buy.

But not if you need an estate. Honestly it's impossible to say and no one car is better for everyones needs.

You could probably get a classic insurance policy on the Toyota which may make it much more tempting for someone.

Personally for me I would like the Accord more but there's no definitive answer and both are great bangernomics imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

What does a full electric pack 99 Yaris contain?

Interior lights and radio

• Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

It was a great goal but dunno if you could drive it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Lucky it wasn't something else. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

corcaigh07 wrote: »

Well, there's not a lot to go off as there's no info in the ad, but my take:

Mileage not listed, possibly a work in progress, or intergalactic. Usually if a car has reasonable to low mileage it's a huge selling point, silence may be deafening here.

Advertised as a tdi, it's a Hdi, - the seller who is a trader would know that, minor detail to be fair, possibly trying to appeal to a certain market & search terms.

It's got hub caps off a golf or skoda or something.. Again, means nothing but it's all part of the tapestry.

They're a notoriously shite car, electrical gremlins appear out of nowhere - my friends one shouts at him in italian whenever he turns it on :confused: And I'm not biased against french yokes - there's a 207 a C4 & a 407 parked in my drive.

If I was looking at that I'd have the tape & matchsticks holding my eyes wide open, but honestly, there's a few quacking noises coming off the done deal ad so I wouldn't be entertaining it at all personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm doing significantly heavier mileage than I thought I'd be, so I'm considering changing up from the E39 525i.

I think I'm going to have to give up the straight six and go tractor engine (I guess the other option is LPG but it's a massive investment for questionable return).

Any recommendations for a 'nomics diesel that is going to be somewhat comparable to E39 comfortwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Jayop wrote: »
    Just shy of €906 of tax so they're more or less giving the car away.

You need a maths lesson I'm afraid.
    Tax is €710 for 12 months on a 2ltr. Pre 08.
    That volvo is taxed into next year, but less than 12 months, (April I think) so less than 710, not more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

@Trojan - you might look at the Volvo S60 2.4 D5, superb engine and very comfortable cars. Certainly won't compare with a petrol E39 in terms of drivability but if it is comfort you are after then I would look no further. A neighbour had a one running as a taxi until recently with over 250k on the clock and it was very reliable.

And from a quick scan of the classifieds

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-executive-4dr-mint-car-1999-today/11988456

ZTNlMWE1YmY4MDQ3MzBhMGZhMTdjNjIwNzlmYzUzN2Q4sVsaR6WQn5a055yzN_ioaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NDY3MDAwMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Top of the budget here but this is a very nice looking car inside and out. 2.2 diesel NCT Jan '17 €1999.

@Trojan - you might look at the Volvo S60 2.4 D5, superb engine and very comfortable cars. Certainly won't compare with a petrol E39 in terms of drivability but if it is comfort you are after then I would look no further. A neighbour had a one running as a taxi until recently with over 250k on the clock and it was very reliable.

Thanks, Duke. Yeah I think I've been a bit spoiled with the E39. Comfort is the main factor as I do long trips for the most part.

To put another option on the table, are there any comfortable commercials near bangernomics territory? Most of them look very rough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Anything to look out for with one of these?
    MmRiNGFjYzU2NzBmZDFlNDY1ZDczYmM3ZDgyN2JjNGFifhRjQzNgmGUzpNVhQR5EaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NjU4MTgyM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    Basically a Citroen C5 but without the funky hydraulics I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

cadaliac wrote: »
    You need a maths lesson I'm afraid.
    Tax is €710 for 12 months on a 2ltr. Pre 08.
    That volvo is taxed into next year, but less than 12 months, (April I think) so less than 710, not more.

Ah I looked the tax bracket and made a balls of it.

"Trojan wrote: »
    To put another option on the table, are there any comfortable commercials near bangernomics territory? Most of them look very rough.

I will be boo'd for this...but you might get a decent Ssangyong Rexton for around 2k but realistically a bit more, 05 or 06. Great Mercedes running gear in them, and they're genuinely decent to drive. A bit plastic-y inside but in my opinion that is about as bad as it gets with them. You really need to live with one for a bit to understand :P

Other than that a lot of 2k commercials (I presume you mean more a car/jeep derived van moreso than a transit or whatever) will indeed be rough. On motorways and the likes they can be a bit noisy when they're hollow in the back

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Trojan wrote: »
    I think I'm going to have to give up the straight six and go tractor engine (I guess the other option is LPG but it's a massive investment for questionable return).

Indeed, the investment in LPG would be about a grand (if you shop around), which is probably nearly as much as your car is worth. Your return starts immediately - your fuel will cost no more than if you were driving a 4 pot diesel. Probably less, particularly if you don't spend all day on the motorway (which a diesel is particularly good at fuel wise)

That said, it will cost you a lot more to change over to a half decent diesel car. Bear that in mind! And where you can reasonably expect your straight 6 petrol BMW to potter on for many years to come without big bills, the same can not be said about any modern comfy diesel car of similar size

And of course you would have to give up the refinement of your current car for a far inferior 4-pot diesel engined car. Needs must and all that, but maybe not quite :)

When I bought my E60 (also the BMW straight 6 petrol) 3 years ago, I put a thread up here asking should I convert to LPG. It didn't make a lot of sense at the time. Now I'm doing a higher mileage and I already have the car longer than I thought I might, so I regret not having gone LPG at the time :(

I will be boo'd for this...but you might get a decent Ssangyong Rexton for around 2k but realistically a bit more, 05 or 06. Great Mercedes running gear in them, and they're genuinely decent to drive. A bit plastic-y inside but in my opinion that is about as bad as it gets with them. You really need to live with one for a bit to understand :P

Other than that a lot of 2k commercials (I presume you mean more a car/jeep derived van moreso than a transit or whatever) will indeed be rough. On motorways and the likes they can be a bit noisy when they're hollow in the back

A thing of beauty, Korea's answer to the Pontiac Aztek!

MH-1270001-2182-1.jpg
    And of course you would have to give up the refinement of your current car for a far inferior 4-pot diesel engined car. Needs must and all that, but maybe not quite :)

I got very comfortable, very quick, not so sure I want to go back to rattling along.
    When I bought my E60 (also the BMW straight 6 petrol) 3 years ago, I put a thread up here asking should I convert to LPG. It didn't make a lot of sense at the time. Now I'm doing a higher mileage and I already have the car longer than I thought I might, so I regret not having gone LPG at the time :(

I think I'm in that position alright. I live in Mayo and not so many LPG nearby, particularly at decent price. But most of my mileage is the Dublin run, so it shouldn't be that bad... ok you have me thinking this.

If I keep it I'm gonna have to do something about the fscking cupholder.

Lads, any other way than carsireland.ie to check if a car is currently taxed (and till when it is taxed)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Trojan wrote: »

ZTY1_OGEw_YTZi_Mjg2_ODE3_Njk1_ODFl_OTVh_Mm_Fj_Mz_I2_OWPAXUq_L.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/bmw-530-d-msport-cheap-tax-333-new-doe/11720004

This should fit the bill nicely :P

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Anything to look out for with one of these?
    MmRiNGFjYzU2NzBmZDFlNDY1ZDczYmM3ZDgyN2JjNGFifhRjQzNgmGUzpNVhQR5EaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NjU4MTgyM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    Basically a Citroen C5 but without the funky hydraulics I think

It had to make do with the funky electrics instead :-)

But seriously what's everyone's fear of Citroen suspension? Its actually more durable than regular suspension and so easy to work on its child's play. You'll change a sphere watching a YouTube video.

Sorry on the specific question of what to watch out for! Well there's plenty.

Watch out for a "Check Airbag" light. Its a 400 quid fix straight away. Dodgy keys and locks acting erratically is another obvious one. 1.6 diesels are particularly troublesome if they haven't been maintained plus they suffer awful DPF issues. Interior trim tends to have lots of rattles and some of the out of eye line stuff tends to show its age prematurely.

That said I recently owned a 05 1.8 petrol version and adored it. Heavy enough on fuel but incredibly comfortably for 600 quid.

But seriously what's everyone's fear of Citroen suspension? Its actually more durable than regular suspension and so easy to work on its child's play. You'll change a sphere watching a YouTube video.

+1

Never understood that fear either. Maybe part of the genuine fear of Citroens grown since the 70s when it was about the most unreliable non-Italian make on the planet :D

I would really like to own a car with hydropneumatic suspension one day...

Hahahahaha

Just noticed this now. Plonker.

With a long NCT, I would. If I lived outside of the pale in an area with cr@p roads, I certainly would.

Hahahahaha

Just noticed this now. Plonker.

You could have mistakenly posted a lot worse than that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Just rang about this half an hour ago (see sad end of post)
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s40/12263780

387162.jpg

He was on his way back from scrapper in Kilcock with a cheque for €65.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

It's a sad state of affairs alright.
    Some sellers do bring it on themselves though. I tried to buy a crdi Santa fé with the back axle fcuked for 300 off a local fella and he was having none of it he scrapped it a week later for I'm assuming sub €150 cos his wife rared up on him about having it left outside their house. Some people just can't stomach the thought of someone they know turning a profit on something they used to own

Some people just can't stomach the thought of someone they know turning a profit on something they used to own

The worst kind of people!

Although there is nothing worse than trying to buy a car and you get hit with "shur I would get that for the wheels" or "sure the scrap yard will give me X"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

It's a sad state of affairs alright.
    Some sellers do bring it on themselves though. Some people just can't stomach the thought of someone they know turning a profit on something they used to own

In a nutshell. Couldn't have put it better myself. Begrudgery. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement