Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My latest bangernomics purchase

387175.jpg

Belt + clutch done last year. Just serviced. NCT till '17, taxed till end of next month. 18" BBS alloys with premium tyres (70%). Everything works. Very well kept car, previous owner a mechanic who looked after it well. Tight as a nut.

Anybody want a '00 E46 BMW 318Ci Sport? :D

And for sale:

'00 BMW 318Ci Sport, NCT 01/17, asking €875

387179.jpg

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

unkel wrote: »
    +1

Never understood that fear either. Maybe part of the genuine fear of Citroens grown since the 70s when it was about the most unreliable non-Italian make on the planet :D

I would really like to own a car with hydropneumatic suspension one day...

I've had three, two Xantias and a C5, and they were fantastic to own and drive, so comfortable and, thanks to the paranoia, cheap as chips for a lot of car.
    But, when something idiosyncratic went in there, it got expensive to fix.
    I swore I wouldn't buy a C5 again but.... you can get an 06 model for €1,500 before haggling too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

387175.jpg

Belt + clutch done last year. Just serviced. NCT till '17, taxed till end of next month. 18" BBS alloys with premium tyres (70%). Everything works. Very well kept car, previous owner a mechanic who looked after it well. Tight as a nut.

best of luck with her the MK1 TT still looks fresh and sexy with those bonus BBS CH's !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

attachment.php?attachmentid=387175&stc=1&d=1464449892

Absolutely beautiful car, enjoy it. I wish i was small enough to own one and drive it comfortably.

How big are you? I'm nearly 6'2, 95kg and the drivers seat can go further back than I need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

What did you give for it in the end Unkel? Smashing looking car.

I have enough left over out of the bangernomics budget to buy one of the cheaper bangernomics cars as posted in here nearly every day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I have enough left over out of the bangernomics budget to buy one of the cheaper bangernomics cars as posted in here nearly every day :)

That's very secretive :p

Some young lad would probably buy those wheels off you once the tyres are finished. Save even more!

• Advertisement

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    That's very secretive :p

Not really. Bangernomics budget is €2,000. Cheaper cars in here with NCT till 2017 can be as cheap as a few hundred quid, so my car was a few hundred quid cheaper than €2k. Easy!

But if that's still too secretive for you, I can reveal I paid €1,600 for it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

How big are you? I'm nearly 6'2, 95kg and the drivers seat can go further back than I need.

6'1 and about 16st. I've been in one before and it felt tight enough and that was before I had kids and their feckin seats to worry about

6'1 and about 16st.

About the same as me so. You shouldn't have a problem in the TT unless your weight distribution is very different from mine :p
    that was before I had kids and their feckin seats to worry about

Sure, it's only a 4 seater and obviously tight in the back. I have 3 kids myself and the three of them plus me do fit in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Messaged the owner. It's a '00D, says 130k miles on it. I thought the steering wheel looked a bit more worn than that. I'm not getting a great vibe off the ad and photos. Anyone able to check mileage for me (I have the plate number, don't want to post it)?

Trojan wrote: »
    I'm not getting a great vibe off the ad and photos

That's saying it gently. 290BHP. Commercial. Cheap tax. M-spec. Yeah, right. The nice honest gentleman selling that car is the reason we all pay more than we have to for our tax and insurance. Scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Messaged the owner. It's a '00D, says 130k miles on it. I thought the steering wheel looked a bit more worn than that. I'm not getting a great vibe off the ad and photos. Anyone able to check mileage for me (I have the plate number, don't want to post it)?

Think you'll have to pay to get it checked but I definitely wouldn't bother. I posted it really just because it would be the perfect concept for you but I'd imagine the car itself is probably rough and could be damn hard insure.
    You'd wanna have a look at the commercial insurance side of things before taking the plunge on one. Some brokers and companies will mirror your NCB from your private vehicle whereas others won't.
    A clean 6 speed 130bhp mk4 golf van would be a great option for ya but finding a clean one is hard and they can be expensive.
    E12 d4d corolla van are decent too.
    Then any 2.0hdi Citroen or peugeot.
    Xsara or 306 van would be my picks but they're getting on.
    All the above are pretty comfortable for vans as they're cars really, once you make the jump to proper vans with big load bearing rear leaf springs comfort does suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

@unkel - congrats on the purchase, and good luck with the sale. The TT is a stunning package for the money, and the wheels really set it off. I've seen a few "cheap" ones, but the above sounds like a true bargain. I'm envious!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-laguna/12438311?sv=true

NDQ1OWRjZWJlZWEwMjdiZTIyMDIzZDcyMTExNDFjMjYmQNns4yWkIRa2k0wHgF6ZaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181Njk3NTk4NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

A transient 3 months of NCT but for the money (€400) I'd happily take a punt on this. I love these Concorde Lagunas and this one looks very smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

"First realistic offer gets a bargain"

I'd say €300 would get it. Incredible. This thread never stops to amaze me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Not 100% clean bodywork but a lot of NCT and tax for small money

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-clio-2002-diesel-1-5/12445285

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

WTF is going on with the bonnet grilles!?

drivetrain alone is surely worth more than that? Tax worth around €240

Taxed till the end of the year! Worth €240. NCT is genuine too.

I'll say, if there is one thing that turns me off a car it's mismatched wheels.

Very very cheap though

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/03-saab-9-5-2lt-petrol-nct-7-17-950-euro/12448183

NDlmY2EyOGZlZDQzYWIzZTQ0OTEzZTllY2FlZmYxMWG-kgoClOdxtzM4gLoo86iKaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NzAyMTg2MHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Looks like a fairly lowly model, but with no less than 13 months NCT (7/17) for less than a grand it is solid motoring.

That's saying it gently. 290BHP. Commercial. Cheap tax. M-spec. Yeah, right. The nice honest gentleman selling that car is the reason we all pay more than we have to for our tax and insurance. Scumbag.
    Not really any different to a commercial jeep like an X5 though?
    Windows seem to be covered over, rear seats gone?
    Don't think something like this has any effect on what tax anyone else pays. Average annual tax take on new cars is a fraction of what it was 10 years ago for example,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I was giving him the 290BHP as a typo of 190 which sounds about right. As selectamatic, it's the perfect concept for me, but the actual car is rough and looks more than claimed mileage.

What are these like?

NWU0NDVkODkwNGUxZWFkMzEyYmM4NTI2ZGMzMmFhYWJDkDadp23nRgypfsCjGG9GaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181Njg4NDYxNXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Don't think something like this has any effect on what tax anyone else pays.

A much used argument in this country.

But it really is fairly straight forward. The government has a budget and if something goes over, something else has to go under. If someone does not pay the tax they owe, then someone else will have to pay for them. Or services are cut, more patients on trolleys in hospitals, etc.

And personally, I find it hard enough to pay my own tax. I really do not want to have to pay someone elses tax :mad:

What are these like?

Terrible. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!

That Mazda diesel engine is probably the single worst engine in a mass produced car in decades. Yes, seriously.

• Advertisement

Hope I don't drag off topic but

But if the car is legitimately converted and taxed as commercial?!
    When I sold land cruisers new, there was 21% VAT you could claim back (€8k) plus you didn't have to pay €20,000 VRT or €1800 road tax as you did on the passenger models.
    I wouldn't feel bad for the state - they made this system.

Not the same as the "2 litre on the book" merchants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement