Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Agreed of course, Colm. Provided a commercially taxed car is used commercially. And not at all for private use / going to the shop / driving to footy training / bringing the kids to school etc. Isn't there a form you have to sign now for commercial motor tax that you officially state you will never use the car for anything other than commercial use?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Think thats crew cab.
    Obv you could use a crewcab as a normal car. A 2 seat commercial with blanked out windows isn't as practical or desirable for family use.
    You'd have to go a long way to find someone who's never used a van for going to the shop.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Think thats crew cab.

Nah, don't think so. Commercial motor tax is commercial motor tax. No matter what form the car is
    You'd have to go a long way to find someone who's never used a van for going to the shop.

You're probably right there. Seems a bit harsh for your local tradesman not to be allowed to go to the shop in his van on his commercial motor tax. Maybe someone in here can dig up the commercial tax declaration form or link to it so we can see exactly what it says?

No, for the declaration I mean. There's a specific crewcab declaration form you need to sign.

Here's the Sligo version, I believe they vary
    http://www.sligococo.ie/media/CouncilDownloads/MotorTax/CrewCabDeclarationForm.pdf

You have the likes of Discoverys, land cruisers etc now being registered new as crewcabs. Have back seats, windows etc.

Thanks for the link Colm!

It sickens me to see so many new 5/6/7* seaters like Discos and Landcruisers taxed commercially when clearly they are family cars :mad:

*from the form: "with seating for a driver and a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 6 other persons"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

unkel wrote: »
    That's saying it gently. 290BHP. Commercial. Cheap tax. M-spec. Yeah, right. The nice honest gentleman selling that car is the reason we all pay more than we have to for our tax and insurance. Scumbag.

It's definitely not 290bhp nor is it an M-sport but it is a legitimate commercial vehicle. How it's used, is up to the owner and far from strictly enforced. I don't think there are any commercial vehicles on the road that aren't used for some personal use. Most commercial insurance policies cover this aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

It sickens me to see so many new 5/6/7* seaters like Discos and Landcruisers taxed commercially when clearly they are family cars

What's your problem with that. I paid €1430 or whatever for about 6 years. Now I pay 330 a year. Paid my dues. I use the car on a commercial basis four weekends a year.

The state can bite me.:eek:

drivetrain alone is surely worth more than that? Tax worth around €240

A 170k mile 1.5 Renault diesel engine & gearbox might be worth €600 ish on a pallet ready to go.
    .......... Isn't there a form you have to sign now for commercial motor tax that you officially state you will never use the car for anything other than commercial use?

Yep, at time of first taxing in one's ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Terrible. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!

That Mazda diesel engine is probably the single worst engine in a mass produced car in decades. Yes, seriously.

The Subaru Boxer Diesel is making a strong challenge based on recent reports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Looks tidy, not too common and should continue performing without drama for the foreseeable future. €750 (NCT for a year)

OTAyMTgyMDg0MWY0YWY5ZTY1Y2VhYTZiNWZjOGFiM2Eeh0VkcedkfQ6ieyGASrtAaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181Njk1Nzk2MHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-1-9tdi-110bhp-new-nct-6-17/12464734

NzcyYzFmY2FkNTU4MTNjMGQ1ZGVkNmVkYjI2Y2UxZTkJGPOtLolYG_jLn5PX8XrbaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NzEwODc4OHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

A full years test (6/17) on this old TDI for a grand. No mileage listed but on the NCT cert the first digit looks like a 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

To me looks like 294922?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Correct near 300k miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Would he take a px + cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

ligertigon wrote: »
    Would he take a px + cash?

Sorry, no - the reason he's selling is because he got a new job a few weeks ago that comes with a company car.
    Thanks anyway.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-ls430-tax-amp-long-nct/12468984

YmUxYjZjNTIyZGJkZjg1NjRhZjY3MmI2YzQxMTljNGWMkGN1HTRaxvTqGkQNK_VjaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NzEzMTU2Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Nice looking LS430 with test to 3/17 and a bit of tax. Asking €1750...I wonder if €1500 would be a bit too cheeky..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'd have said not cheeky at all if there wasn't tax worth for another 2 months.
    You could give it a go but even at 1750e that's a bargain. G'wan and buy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

That's almost one to buy, drive for a year then put into storage. Would make some classic and probably be worth a lot more in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-ls430-tax-amp-long-nct/12468984

YmUxYjZjNTIyZGJkZjg1NjRhZjY3MmI2YzQxMTljNGWMkGN1HTRaxvTqGkQNK_VjaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NzEzMTU2Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Nice looking LS430 with test to 3/17 and a bit of tax. Asking €1750...I wonder if €1500 would be a bit too cheeky..

Nobody wants a 4.3L car with the bones of two grand annual tax bill, and that is before you put a drop of petrol in it, and you would be doing that a lot. I bet a grand would be accepted for it. There is absolutely no demand whatsoever for petrol cars with enormous engines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

No demand whatsoever, except for the 15 or so posters here who have a barge currently, and all the 1809 tax cars you see on the road every single day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

E220 Estate, NCT done 5 weeks ago, valid till mid-September, so you could buy it, and put it through again in a fortnights time. Seems to be an honest ad. Is it a bit low at the back or is it just my imagination?

€1550

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-220te-w124-7-seat-estate-fresh-nct-/12198169

YWY1MDVmMzY1MGJlM2FjNGVhOWNhN2NjOTM3MWMyN2Ltfl6QlB8B150gCTgEElcSaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181Njk2NzY1M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Anyone for a 2003 Citroen Xsara 3 door coupe? 1.4 VTR - good bit of power for the size.

NCT passed only 3 months ago as you can see on the disc.
    4 Hankook tyres with decent amount of tread
    Leather seats
    Electric windows
    Remote central locking
    Extra key
    Fog lights
    €800

27142118370_47bfd794a7_b.jpg

27319854232_1a4d628b8c_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

No demand whatsoever, except for the 15 or so posters here who have a barge currently, and all the 1809 tax cars you see on the road every single day

I think a year or two ago a marked 2001 Lexus with 150k miles would have been cheaper than 1750.

The LS430 can look quite bloated and hasn't aged well. Although it must be dependent on colour - I saw a facelifted wine coloured one yesterday and it looked classy as hell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

crazyjim wrote: »
    I think a year or two ago a marked 2001 Lexus with 150k miles would have been cheaper than 1750.

The LS430 can look quite bloated and hasn't aged well. Although it must be dependent on colour - I saw a facelifted wine coloured one yesterday and it looked classy as hell

The fact that people aren't playing tax roulette with cops anymore is more of a factor. ANPR has a lot to answer for. If someone though they could get away with 6 months tax on a car like that rather than the full 12 months, it becomes palatable. Now, you can't declare your car off the road, after you get stopped. This stopped a load of people dodging tax.
    It also made that lexus near sale proof.
    When you add up the tax per year coupled with running costs, it's actually not a cheap car at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Might suit someone with more money than sense, because it is sillyness to be driving a 20mpg barge with a 4.3L engine, and a tax bill that exceeds the value of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Might suit someone with more money than sense, because it is sillyness to be driving a 20mpg barge with a 4.3L engine, and a tax bill that exceeds the value of the car.
    Each to their own. But I can justify overpaying tax by €1,300 a year for 12 years and do 10,000 miles a year in sumptuous luxury vs. Buying a korean ****box for 25 grand and scrapping it in 2028. But each to their own as I say, there are advantages to all approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Would that year Saab have the oil strainer blockage issue?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

GvidoR wrote: »
    Anyone for a 2003 Citroen Xsara 3 door coupe? 1.4 VTR - good bit of power for the size.

NCT passed only 3 months ago as you can see on the disc.
    4 Hankook tyres with decent amount of tread
    Leather seats
    Electric windows
    Remote central locking
    Extra key
    Fog lights
    €800

27142118370_47bfd794a7_b.jpg

27319854232_1a4d628b8c_b.jpg

75bhp. I had one. they're slow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement