Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

Picked up this Polo last week for 2k .. high mileage compared to the other one at 20k !! .. one lady owner (rip)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

bear1 wrote: »
    There just has to be a catch with this one:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-toyota-avensis-the-nct-d/12533223

Over 200k km and NCT until 10/17 - I'd hazard a guess it was a taxi.

230 k on the clock, 228 on nct cert, 210 k in the ad,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

New when the Spice Girls were number one but look.at the mileage

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/automatic-low-miles-15000-miles/12524141

Going by the sellers english i have a strong feeling he is lying about ''1 ledy owner from new''

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

jharr100 wrote: »
    Picked up this Polo last week for 2k .. high mileage compared to the other one at 20k !! .. one lady owner (rip)

What's the advantage of one lady owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    A friend of mine that works in the trade offered me a 2002 VW Polo 1.2 today for €350 (the price they discounted off a new Polo for it). Very clean, in great shape and drives well. A few months NCT and tax left too. He had one of his mechanics do an inspection and it will need about €300 to sort a couple of issues. Even if it ends up costing me €650 I think it's still good value as they're going for €1,000+ on Done Deal and this one has only 70,000 miles.

The thing that is putting me off slightly is that it doesn't have a service book - should I go ahead and buy it anyway? Would the lack of history put anyone else off at that price?

They're looking for 1k + on donedeal, it doesn't mean that they are getting it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Going by the sellers english i have a strong feeling he is lying about ''1 ledy owner from new''

He has a few on the go...
    D on DD wrote:
    Car no have problem start and drive 100% engine no lik , New clutch last year. No Nct or Tax

https://www.donedeal.ie/all?userId=2177039

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Sam Kade wrote: »

Not too many 'ladies' welding up diffs and spinning Polos around cones.... (in reverse, obviously) :D

Seriously though, its meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not too many 'ladies' welding up diffs and spinning Polos around cones.... (in reverse, obviously) :D

Seriously though, its meaningless.
    Only driven to mass on Sundays, and to collect pension. Serviced religiously every 5000 miles.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

Sam Kade wrote: »

None..
    But this car has 12 VW services and only 20k ... all nct certs too..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's sweet. If you're planning to hold onto the car for a very long time, it's worth paying a bit over the going rate for a car like that. And I don't say this often :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Nice. Maybe a big bob dylan fan. You know ' lay ledy lay. Lay across my big brass bed'

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

New when the Spice Girls were number one but look.at the mileage

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/automatic-low-miles-15000-miles/12524141

This guy has Cornered the market in low milage cars if you look at his other ads. Tread with caution

Edit. A later post seems to say all NCT cert available so maybe it's Genuine

2nd edit. This guy had a cheap punto which I was interested thought it was a bit too good to be true. Anyway a "ledy" amswered the phone but car was sold before I got to Kildare. Meybe lucky 😄😄😄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

407 with the more reliable 2.0 HDI

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-peugeot-407-2-0-diesel-new-nct-02-17/12533280

NCT'd until Feb 2017 and all for 999e - I'd say you could even get him down to 900 maybe less?

He says "LCD isn't great", what does that mean?
    I've been there, with the Scenic II, and it means you have no idea how fast you're going or how much fuel you've left!
    That said, at least a 407 display isn't quite as critical

• Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/adrian/12533091

Now, yes it has a terrible diesel engine but very high spec and NCT until 09/16. 1k

I like how they called the car Adrian... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

unkel wrote: »
    Including the one that the poster (me) would actually drive it. At a push. A big push :D
    the term slumming comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

dulpit wrote: »
    I like how they called the car Adrian... :pac:
    nice one op, on the pocket

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    He says "LCD isn't great", what does that mean?
    I've been there, with the Scenic II, and it means you have no idea how fast you're going or how much fuel you've left!
    That said, at least a 407 display isn't quite as critical

Sometimes those lcd pixel issues can be a handy diy job if you are patient. Managed to fix them in my old 900 convertible for about a tenner and a Saturday afternoon with a few cans of contact cleaner and Heineken.

Or Dutch Gold and forget the contact cleaner. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Looks Ok, though a bit cheap for a 1st generation. Loads of summer fun and should hold it's price, could even go up if you invest a few bob.

NCT 06/17 €1990

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-mx-5-nct-june-2017/12483188

MjI4YWQxZTc0NzM5ODEyZWQ3YjY5MmE2NzljYjNlMTdnUBfLoQYSut2lnQgBItDRaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NzIwODgwOHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brophy

Time for me to shift on my own bangernomics motor - thought I'd post it here since I am always following.

Never gave me any trouble

406 Diesel with 12months NCT and taxed till end of month

ZGRiZGYxYTk0NGNlNzRhYjI3N2RhOWEwZTVjZjVhNmKtIQHz7SRBwv2EdBqGw379aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NzQzODIzOXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

First '09 in here?

Chevrolet Lacetti, only 82k km. Nearly a year NCT, 3 months tax. Decent spec, full leather.

YzM3N2YxNjI2Yjk4ODkyZjRkN2EzODllYzljNzViMjgCDMcspuQlIHFMuGIFbQVhaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NzM5ODk2OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Linky

And its sold

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I always lliked the Safrane, had one for 4 weeks when I was on a contract in France. Seriously comfy for long distance driving. Always fancied the 4WD Biturbo as well, there were less than 1000 sold.

I also saw this Safrane estate at the 1994 (or 95?) Paris car show, pity they never built it, seriously advanced styling for it's time, hint of an 80's Audi 100 Avant.

h3bus11.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-x-type-2-5v6-4x4/12566574

M2NhMTE1YWZkODJlN2ZmNjc5ODlmZTkwOTIxMjQxNzlaZ0s3BhZn6ITOR9uXjmI9aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NzYyMTg0OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Needs a few bits it seems - but NCT until end of the year for €750

NCT till 7/11/16. That's only a bit over 4 months test. Which it is guaranteed to fail with the drivers window not working. I would give this one a miss. Plenty of other fish in the sea :)

NCT till 7/11/16. That's only a bit over 4 months test. Which it is guaranteed to fail with the drivers window not working. I would give this one a miss. Plenty of other fish in the sea :)

Hmm, I don't disagree but finding a good X or S type Jag for bangernomics money is not easy. Spent last week looking on behalf of my parents who are selling two cars for one, that'll do less than 10k (closer to 5k) miles p/a

The 2.1 / 2.5 and 3.0 V6s all seem to be plagued with coil / knock sensor issues. Finding an example that runs well would be my main priority and it looks like to me in those photos that that car is running and there is no engine light on which is a good thing.

No lie, I looked at three in a day all with the same problem. Misfiring, engine light on. They bought a 3.0 auto 2005, low(ish) mileage two owner S type in the end for a bit over bangernomics money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Four months is plenty of time to sort a few nct issues. That Jag is a good looking deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Four months is plenty of time to sort a few nct issues. That Jag is a good looking deal.

12-15mpg around town apparently

ligertigon wrote: »
    12-15mpg around town apparently

And every one of those happy gallons would be burned in style.

• Advertisement

Meh anyway. Any family size car, even with a 4 cylinder engine, hell even a diesel, will only do about 20-25mpg in heavy Dublin traffic

For people like the Duke's parents who do only a bit more than 5k miles per year, a well sorted 2k gaz guzzler is a brilliant purchase. Fuel consumption is irrelevant unless your mileage is significantly high...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement