Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-subaru-legacy-2-0-awd/10387182

Admittedly the test is a bit short @ 4 months and the diamond plate fascia is a bit Polish spec. Looks like a decent car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice find and superb value. I would have a mechanic check it over to make sure it does only need a wheel bearing. One of the last Subarus of old when they were still reliable petrol :(

What's the story with an '07 car like this, I always forget. If you test it early (before it is 10 years old), will it still get 2 years NCT?

Edit: this car is registered and taxed as PSV. Beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It's a lovely looking car with a nice bit of overtaking power. It would certainly be a nice upgrade for me, but as usual the timing sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

unkel wrote: »
    Nice find and superb value. I would have a mechanic check it over to make sure it does only need a wheel bearing. One of the last Subarus of old when they were still reliable petrol :(

What's the story with an '07 car like this, I always forget. If you test it early (before it is 10 years old), will it still get 2 years NCT?

Edit: this car is registered and taxed as PSV. Beware.

Yes, once you test it more than 90 days prior to its anniversary date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

emeldc wrote: »
    Yes, once you test it more than 90 days prior to its anniversary date.

Is it not up to 90 days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Is it not up to 90 days?

Nope. On your 10th anniversary, it's prior to 90 days. If you test it within 90 days you only get the year out of it. I was caught with this myself as were a few others on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-megane-1-6-16v-dynamique-coupe-cabriolet/12576905

OGVhMDE2MjJkYWRhNmJjZDM0ZmZiYWJjMzNlYmUxZTiH5UnMl4kb2m446Ho1uM56aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NzY3MTkwMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Would you take a chance on it?? NCT until end of the year - €1099

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

A friend of mine lost the run of himself and for some unknown reason bought one of them new. The roof never worked right and cost him an absolute fortune over the few years he had it. At that age it's a major risk. It's not as if they've got anything going for them otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-megane-1-6-16v-dynamique-coupe-cabriolet/12576905

OGVhMDE2MjJkYWRhNmJjZDM0ZmZiYWJjMzNlYmUxZTiH5UnMl4kb2m446Ho1uM56aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NzY3MTkwMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Their business model appears to be Trade Sales at retail prices. Caveat Emptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Yeah - big complex electric folding roof and chocolate window regulators - a model for disaster but if they worked on inspection it is potentially something that could be enjoyed for the Summer and flogged on with a few months NCT left for a few hundred.

• Advertisement

emeldc wrote: »
    Nope. On your 10th anniversary, it's prior to 90 days. If you test it within 90 days you only get the year out of it. I was caught with this myself as were a few others on here.

Cheers. Our Alfa id coming up to 10 years so I need to keep an eye on the date. So if the test is due in Jan/2017, can I get it done in September this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Cheers. Our Alfa id coming up to 10 years so I need to keep an eye on the date. So if the test is due in Jan/2017, can I get it done in September this year?
    Just get it done outside the 90 day limit to get a two-year cert.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I must say I've heard absolutely nothing good about this seller, would avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sean O'Rourke on radio 1 now doing a piece on bangernomics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Esel wrote: »

Ah Feck, just got my 06 Almera done, 10 year anniversary is end of July.
    I thought i was smart getting 13 months worth.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Sean O'Rourke on radio 1 now doing a piece on bangernomics.

I suppose it depends on definitions but the "expert" said avoid diesels are they are too complicated. My idea of a banger would old school engines like the XUD's of PSA

Esel wrote: »

shia.png

Will do! :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Going to see this in the morning.
    According to the seller it also has 140k miles on it, but it's running perfectly and is happy for it to checked at a local garage of my choosing too.
    And it's the 150bhp 1.9tid, and for €1,700 as well
    YjdiMGMzYmE3YmNlZTAyODY3MDQ0ZmJlMjkyOWIwZTP9egGrINgzrDQeJ8C6OIBtaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NzcxMzcyN3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

That's some bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I think we'll see a lot more 2007 bangernomics coming in as more of them approach €2k value and the 10 year insurance issue.

• Advertisement

And of course people abandoning them to get onto the cheap diesel motor tax post 2008 bandwagon

Pay €5k extra for the car to save yourself €400 per year in tax. Plenty of people aren't very good at doing sums in this country :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Couldn't agree more Unkel but who are we to argue. Long may that mindset last.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

unkel wrote: »
    That's some bargain!

Just hoping my insurance company doesn't take this opportunity to take me from behind, I pay in the region of €440 on the Focus 1.6 petrol but this is a bit of a shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just hoping my insurance company doesn't take this opportunity to take me from behind, I pay in the region of €440 on the Focus 1.6 petrol but this is a bit of a shift.

As for the age of the car I had no problem this year when renewing. It is when you are new to the market where an older car becomes a problem.

I moved from 1.4 to 2.0 supercharged last year and the difference was minimal, but give them a ring in advance before buying a car just in case ;)

Good choice btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Let us know how you get on if you don't mind, been looking at Saab's myself a good bit lately so would be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭rvpalldway

wonski wrote: »
    As for the age of the car I had no problem this year when renewing. It is when you are new to the market where an older car becomes a problem.

I moved from 1.4 to 2.0 supercharged last year and the difference was minimal, but give them a ring in advance before buying a car just in case ;)

Good choice btw.

My increase, for the year, looks like €250, bringing my annual insurance to €700

edit: Feck it, going to head along and have a look, the total change from my crap-tastic Focus 1.6 to this beauty is €320 per year, or less than a tenner a week.
    Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

jharr100 wrote: »
    This seller doesn't have a great name.

This++

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I went from 1.4 petrol to a 2.2 turbo diesel and insurance only went up 55 quid for year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement