Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I'm sure I've passed it a few times on the classifieds - nice car and slightly overpriced I would agree, I think that is what would stop a lot of interest. If he reduced it to €1500 I'd say he would get much more interest

Anyway -

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-fiat-croma-1-9-diesel/12627807

MmE2MzJkYzBlZWUzZWJiNGY0ZThhMWNlNDkxNDdkNGQDUCVR0qFGI20-F1LP_nYeaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NzkyMzMzMnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

It isn't pretty - but a 06 diesel with NCT until 12/17 (18 months) and a bit of tax 8/16 for €1500. Decent spec on it too. No mileage listed on the ad and I don't know if the print out on the NCT cert starts with a 4!? Either way if I was in the market I'd have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I love the ads with the reg plate blocked, only for the ad to then have a photo of the tax disc with the reg clearly visible

makes me feel like this guy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

MzljNjYxODUwZjhjNTUzMWUwZjYzYjU1N2JhYzMyN2V7zJDXs922IwW1MPZ-z3bLaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NzU5OTk1Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-fiat-stilo-3dr-new-nct-07-17/12562449

€1650.

Those are such a good looking car... I'd be tempted. Are they prone to breaking or reasonably reliable?

I've looked at that a few times ( the ad) and the other 07 yellow one, but as my own 02 Stilo 1.6 is still driving ( and looking) well I cannot justify it.

The early Stilos had a well deserved bad reputation for electrical glitches that would strand you, but after 2005 they seemed to be sorted. The 1.4 is a great engine, as quick as the 1.6 yet more economical than the 1.2 ( to be avoided at all costs - great in a punto, underpowered and stressed in a Stilo)

Having said that they are built like an tank, they wont rust anywhere, parts are cheap and they are a doddle to work on.

I love mine and wont get rid of it until it dies. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

I'm sure I've passed it a few times on the classifieds - nice car and slightly overpriced I would agree, I think that is what would stop a lot of interest. If he reduced it to €1500 I'd say he would get much more interest

Anyway -

MmE2MzJkYzBlZWUzZWJiNGY0ZThhMWNlNDkxNDdkNGQDUCVR0qFGI20-F1LP_nYeaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NzkyMzMzMnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

It isn't pretty - but a 06 diesel with NCT until 12/17 (18 months) and a bit of tax 8/16 for €1500. Decent spec on it too. No mileage listed on the ad and I don't know if the print out on the NCT cert starts with a 4!? Either way if I was in the market I'd have a look

Had one, dpf issues, drive shaft, seized brake calipers, plenty of power but poor handling, very narrow back seat, middle seat not suitable for long journeys, many other issues that i can't recall but it cost a fortune in the three years i had it. Comfortable and spacious from a driver's perspective, very well specced. Most parts are rare, expensive and generally special order. Schumacher used to drive one, allegedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

h3000 wrote: »
    Do they really do anywhere near 55mpg though?

*not saying it's a bad car or buy.

I've had one for the last good few years. 260k miles up on it, averages roughly 50mpg. Not a lot of urban driving though! Still going strong too touch wood!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Anyway -

It is 1500e :confused:
    I'd gladly drive that

bear1 wrote: »
    I'd gladly drive that

Sorry the beginning bit of that post was in reference to the Ausi on the previous page :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

bear1 wrote: »
    I'd gladly drive that

Have you read their list of potential woes?

ligertigon wrote: »

Not dissing what wexfjord has said - but you could read up on potential woes of any car posted in this thread and run a mile.

This is bangernomics, its a gamble for the most part :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Not dissing what wexfjord has said - but you could read up on potential woes of any car posted in this thread and run a mile.

This is bangernomics, its a gamble for the most part :)

Unless of course its a 80's / 90's Toyota :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

ligertigon wrote: »

I just checked and the suspension and alternator issues seems to be the worst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

And speaking of 90's Toyota... A Toyota Corolla, 1999, in Garda Síochána blue. 125,000 km on the clock, NCT till Jan 2017 and taxed till end of June for €650.

Hne6cGx.jpg

DoneDeal Link

wexfjord wrote: »
    Had one, dpf issues, drive shaft, seized brake calipers, plenty of power but poor handling, very narrow back seat, middle seat not suitable for long journeys, many other issues that i can't recall but it cost a fortune in the three years i had it. Comfortable and spacious from a driver's perspective, very well specced. Most parts are rare, expensive and generally special order. Schumacher used to drive one, allegedly.

They are a vectra C estate underneath, so anything that moves can generally be ordered by GM part numbers. These are also the bits that cause problems ( calipers, chocolate springs, etc. ) I found parts cheap and available.

DPF issues are, well, dpf issues. They will be faced by any car with a DPF.

I scrapped one last year ( was on uk plates, not worth paying vrt) and while it was very spacious, powerful and great on long journeys, it was ugly as sin, characterless and not especially economical.

But at 1200 euro ( the most that dark one is worth tbh) its well worth a flutter, as long as it has a service history. It was a shame to scrap mine, it had only 150K miles on it, and was probably good for at least that again.

Ford Fiesta, 1999. 1.2L

Nice little Fiesta with only 95,000 miles on it. NCT till Jan 2017 for €699.

yBhRhaT.jpg

DoneDeal Link

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Brois

First impression is the NCT is up. I pass the ones that say "will fly through NCT." I'd want it done.

By comparison this 2004 with 90,000 miles is €1,295 but its NCT is valid till May 2017.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-volvo-s40-just-passed-nct/12063735

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

first impression is the NCT is up. I pass the ones that say "will fly through NCT." I'd want it done.

Yep, I'd be saying to run it through the NCT so and I'll give you the extra 50 quid for it.

Yep, I'd be saying to run it through the NCT so and I'll give you the extra 50 quid for it.

I'd say he tried ( recent rear shocks) but it didnt make it. It would be worth asking him what the score is. Otherwise its nice looking. But those volvos have abs issues that require a new controller/valve block - expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

First impression is the NCT is up. I pass the ones that say "will fly through NCT." I'd want it done.

By comparison this 2004 with 90,000 miles is €1,295 but its NCT is valid till May 2017.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-volvo-s40-just-passed-nct/12063735

Old 90s model though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

It has failed the nct. He should have a fail sheet so you'll know what it needs.

05C18461

https://www.ncts.ie/

"Re-Inspection - In Lane"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,410 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And perhaps Brois did not get around reading the rules of this thread: no NCT = car does NOT belong in this thread...

Perfect,

Good to know lads. Sorry Unkel, I did, but misread and thought it had NCT initially.

Have two more I'm looking at so hopefully one of these works out:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-polo-1-4-mpi-nct-2-17-taxed-6-16/12567328

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/03-ford-focus/12550604
    (Focus is a little untidy and has a spot of rust near wingmirror, but seems a decent motor)

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Focus has short test. Hold out for something with more.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,410 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Polo, Focus, S40. Quite different cars. I'm getting the impression you are looking for just any cheap petrol car? I guess just watch this thread for a few days and you'll automatically get plenty of suggestions :)

As Colm said, I wouldn't even bother considering anything unless it had a '17 NCT

Yep,

Thats the remit simply enough (no shame here!)haha

Just looking for second opinions from people who know more about cars than I do really! Sorry if this is wrong thread.
    I've been watching this thread for a while now, always some interesting ones, but never too many down my neck of the woods!

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it! :)

Correct me if I am wrong, somebody, but I thought the Mk1 Focus saloon never came as a 1.4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Correct me if I am wrong, somebody, but I thought the Mk1 Focus saloon never came as a 1.4

It did in the facelift.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Not initially (1.6 Ghia spec was first out) , plenty of 1.4LXs appeared down the line, usually on hire car fleets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Brois wrote: »
    I've been watching this thread for a while now, always some interesting ones, but never too many down my neck of the woods!

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it! :)

I'm in your neck of the woods , I'll keep a good eye out for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

That Polo looks really good value though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement