Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Decent looking Ford Focus, 2002. 140,000 miles.

NCT till 03-06-2017. - €600.

Great find. That's a steal. Or rather it was - sold already...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-318-is-1998-cabrio/12465421

MzU2OTBiYTE4MjZlZDEwMDc3NWNiNzUyMjlkZjg4NmJ-_DX0uXgi9R9OKfMvMhN6aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NzExMTkzNXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

A transient three months NCT - but a nice looking cabriolet for the Summer for €1500

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-159-sportivo-tax-amp-nct/12718584

MDQ2MWM1MWFmNDJiYzYzYTllNDk4NmU5YmI0OTQwNzDb7VqSuAvsRPW72P5Sl_LVaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181ODM4MzMyMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

The miles are probably a bit high to your average punter - but NCT until 12/17 and tax till 9/16 for €2k. Looks in fantastic nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I would be stone mad not to buy that 159 and replace my 166.

I guess I'll be keeping the 166 so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

I convinced the brother to buy this this evening

NmQxNjY1MmMwZWJiNjgyYzM1ZjZhY2U5OWJlNjkzYjnqteaZ3qNKmk5htpzWEdS1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181ODA0MTk5M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

for 250 euro. To replace his crashed 98 almera. Imo it should be very reliable and economical a-b transport for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

nd wrote: »
    I convinced the brother to buy this this evening

NmQxNjY1MmMwZWJiNjgyYzM1ZjZhY2U5OWJlNjkzYjnqteaZ3qNKmk5htpzWEdS1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181ODA0MTk5M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

for 250 euro. To replace his crashed 98 almera. Imo it should be very reliable and economical a-b transport for a long time.

I'm sure it will be, but I wouldn't buy it to draw daysul to a Ford 5000.

Liana with only a week NCT = scrapyard car

Doesn't deserve to be in this thread. Not be a long way...

That Alfa! I know none of the engines are great, but at least this isn't the diesel which is far too risky to be in a bangernomics car. And it is the 1.9 with the timing chain (unlike the 1.8). Some find that is :cool:

And yeah the miles are high, but I reckon any car that has made it to a quarter of a million km and is still good, can probably do that again. No matter what engine it is, Italian, Japanese, German or whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

unkel wrote: »
    Why would they be? You'll be able to get classic insurance. Fully comprehensive cover for a fraction of the price of regular third party insurance :cool:

Your car probably already qualifies even if it isn't 20 years old yet, but I bet you haven't tried this! :)

Because Im too young to get classic car insurance :p:mad:

Gtv is 20 in August, Im 25 in January so a classic policy will be taken out then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Liana with only a week NCT = scrapyard car

Doesn't deserve to be in this thread. Not be a long way...

Bit harsh.

• Advertisement

Not really. Well yes I actually agree with you that me saying that a probably perfectly good car should be scrapped is harsh, but in this country where there are many, many more and better cars for sale out there with long test for similar money, it means that a car like the one in that link really is bottom of the pile. It makes no sense at all to keep it on the road. And it does not deserve to be even mentioned in this thread. The truth hurts :)

I don't think you'll get anything that won't cost alot to run with a long test for 250 euro. Particularly within an hours drive of you, when you are actually looking to buy something. And a few 100 more than 250 isn't the same as 250 when that is what you have to spend and urgently need a car.

Anyhoo I posted it just to share, not to suggest anyone should buy it.

It makes no sense at all to keep it on the road

You see this is where I wouldn't agree with you unkel. That 02 car will be much easier to insure than a 98 Micra and to my mind something like that with NCT, however small and the guts of two months tax is a bargain in my books.

Its easy to say there are better cars out there for a small bit more, but when you don't have it there isn't much you can do. While we do get the odd car with a good few months NCT for €250, it isn't as often as you think

Good luck to your brother with it Nd. Sold a hatchback one there about 1.5 years ago, to be honest I expected to have it a while but it sold quite quickly :eek:

Thanks. And it has the nct fail sheet so I know exactly what it needs. Without that I wouldn't have recommended it to him.

nd wrote: »
    Thanks. And it has the nct fail sheet so I know exactly what it needs. Without that I wouldn't have recommended it to him.

Yeah just looking at it there, that should be easy enough to sort as it isn't over by a huge amount. Pass on everything else though and not even an advisory.

To my mind now you'd have that car running and legal for what, €500 or maybe less? Thats a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Yeah just looking at it there, that should be easy enough to sort as it isn't over by a huge amount. Pass on everything else though and not even an advisory.

To my mind now you'd have that car running and legal for what, €500 or maybe less? Thats a bargain

As the hc is low, you would think the cat would be ok, but as the co is fine at low idle and high at high idle, its starting to look like the cat has had it. That is assuming all sensors are fine ( which they appear to be).

Might be worth a shot of injector cleaner through it for a few days of driving and then disconnect the battery for a few hours to clear any fuel trims the ecu might have stored.

But I'd say you are looking at €500 minimum for a new cat. (450 from mick garage, plus fitting)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

The engine oil temperature is a bit low don't you think?

I had a car fail with very similar readings a couple of years back. Advice I got from a mechanic friend was that the car wasn't warmed up properly, which was very possible considering the test centre was 5 mins away.

Went for a re test, gave the car a good lash on the motorway in 4th gear, up and down through the gears even red lining it a few times. In for the test and scored a 0.03% CO, down from a 0.3%!!

worth a try anyway, I was going to replace cat too in my case but glad I didn't obviously!!

Edit: I did run some dipetane through it too, don't know if that made any difference but again worth a shot I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The interior looks great on that for its age! Am I reading the ad right, is he throwing in an extra set of wheels for that price!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That's a nice find, I'd like that myself.

• Advertisement

The sun has to come out again.... Astra convertible ( with bertone using the angle grinder) with red leather and NCT till April 2017. €995

ZTQ5OTE1NDJjYzUyYmIzOTEwNTM5NDMwYWI0N2I0MmUe_ZRo5BvZ1ZUTexuBNtobaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181ODQxMjEyNnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I do love a good red leather interior.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-mazda-5-executive/12725304

YzI4YjMxODE1NDllYjE0NjMwNjFhYjk3MmI3ZTM4MGF_NJDFb2rbQYN5iA7x1MRvaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181ODQxNjUzM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Miles are a bit high @ 175k but NCT until 6/17 and tax 10/16 for €1500. Nice family car

I do love a good red leather interior.

It works in some cars ( my old Alfa 156 V6 had red momo seats) but others not so good. Like the Megane convertible - a bit like seeing your maiden aunt dressed up in bondage gear.

Miles are a bit high @ 175k but NCT until 6/17 and tax 10/16 for €1500. Nice family car

Clocked up over 20K miles in a 1.8 petrol MPV in 8 months!! ( and its not PSV)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ssangyong-rexton-7-seat-2007/12726357

Did someone on here have a Bactrian camel they were looking to trade in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

jharr100 wrote: »

Rexton would give you the hump anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Have a few out the back garden

34pdy4i.jpg

• Advertisement

He says 185k km then says 120k miles: NCT cert says 185K miles.

Still, if it has a service history to back the mileage, its not bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement