Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Insurance is insane at home I hear. My brother moved home to Limerick after 5 years living here in Christchurch. He told me it was more expensive to insure a 1.4 Alfa for a year at home than to insure a house for a year here in Christchurch, an earthquake prone city..

I've done the same path as your brother. Christchurch NZ for a few years driving Twin turbo Legacys, Twin turbo Legnum and VTEC's inbetween for roughly $350 a year to insure. Come home to Limerick and get quoted E3,000 on a 1.3 mazda 323. Three years on from coming home my insurance is still well over E1,000 for a 2.0 daysel BMW. Never had an accident, never claimed anything, full licence, driven for 13 years.

There's a special place in hell reserved for Irish insurers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It's madness. I'm driving a 2.0 turbo legacy GT. Insured for 10,000. 600 bucks fully comp. And my rego is 88 bucks for the year.

Probably what I miss the most about NZ. And the $25 W.O.F!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

There's a special place in hell reserved for Irish insurers.

The problem is not Irish insurers. The problem is Irish drivers and the ridiculous claiming system. Remember that driver of a huge long wheel base Transit that got hit from behind by a Polo doing 3mph (this was proven)? The driver of the Transit claimed whiplash and got £30,000. Today he would have got more like €100,000. For a faked injury.

These sums have to be paid for from our premiums. That's why they are so high :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Insurers are complicit. Its in their interest to allow claims to rocket, they can raise premiums as they wish. Its easier to siphon profits on the hugely increased turnover, even if claims increase.

Its getting consumers to believe that it is a fait accompli is the genius stroke. How many people look at their increased renewals, remember the article about "claims going mad", sigh and pay up?

Its not all about risk or claims. Its about the average revenue per policy. Same as with the telco's. How was it a few years ago that they were all able to cut each others throats with cheap insurance? Despite the fact that their was no real change in the claim profile?

(I know a few *nearly* went bust over this, but they still did it. If their actuarial rules are so tight, this would not have happened)

</tinhat>

Its getting consumers to believe that it is a fait accompli is the genius stroke. How many people look at their increased renewals, remember the article about "claims going mad", sigh and pay up?

Good point, but there is nothing new here. Just the fact that the typical renewal premium is now 30%-40% up, instead of the more usual 10%-20% that has always been the nice surprise at renewal time. Like you say, people just cough up so why wouldn't any company take advantage of that?

And about your implied question why premiums were cheaper a few years ago? Because of greedy cowboys (did I mention Sean Quinn?) undercharging, running away with the premiums while knowing there was not enough left in the pot to pay out. Quinn didn't even employ a single actuary. Unbelievable :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

If I could get insured on that I would be on my way now!
    I both love you and hate you for this comment :pac:

Thanks anyway :)

Celica is still here, first genuine offer over €1k will take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I both love you and hate you for this comment :pac:

Thanks anyway :)

Celica is still here, first genuine offer over €1k will take it.

Swap my Xsara HDI + cash ?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dufferlover

Would you? http://m.billgriffinmotors.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1525054&r=

Still searching for a second car for a couple of years.

• Advertisement

I would.

At €1,450, that's a steal, from an established dealer as well so comes with warranty

My neighbour just got one exactly like that, same year, colour, engine and it is a basic car of course, but looks very well. Much smarter and bigger than the hatchback version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Would you? http://m.billgriffinmotors.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1525054&r=

Still searching for a second car for a couple of years.

is he a good dealer? when i was looking at cars in dublin he seems to sell them cheap so was wondering if he selling them cheap for a reason

is he a good dealer? when i was looking at cars in dublin he seems to sell them cheap so was wondering if he selling them cheap for a reason

I haven't a notion, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

unkel wrote: »
    I would.

At €1,450, that's a steal, from an established dealer as well so comes with warranty

My neighbour just got one exactly like that, same year, colour, engine and it is a basic car of course, but looks very well. Much smarter and bigger than the hatchback version.

Certainly an established dealer, well known and celebrated, Google or boards search that mob

I wouldn't use their warranty to wipe me hole, it's probably not even useful enough to do the job

But on a cheapo like that, treat it as a private sale and take a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Certainly an established dealer, well known and celebrated, Google or boards search that mob

I wouldn't use their warranty to wipe me hole, it's probably not even useful enough to do the job

But on a cheapo like that, treat it as a private sale and take a shot.

And it's taxed till next year...
    Great find.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-mr2-3sge/12813177

ODQ5YzU1ODQyNjY2ZTk0YmFmNWQwYzhjNDJmZDUxODTH0O9NE3N3oWhOnW2aaa-oaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181ODg0OTM5OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Nice looking MR2 with NCT until 2/17 for €1650. Probably get it for €1500, would most likely get a classic policy too

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi-shogun-3-0-v6-nct-6-17/12810970

NzVlYThjODI3ZDNjYTZkODRjOTFiY2QxOTNiMGUxNDA7Tu3SqpXrlzJdFtVfWe7FaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181ODgzNTA3OHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

A thirsty fcuker, but I would say this is one that will be worth a good few quid down the line. 1 owner (not imported) 3.0 V6 Shogun with NCT 6/17 for €1250. I really like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

They're actually less thirsty than the diesels in my experience! My manual one in oz managed 32mpg on a long run, 22-25 ish normally. The auto used a sup more but I used it solely in the city.

My 2.5's (diesels) couldn't keep with that economy especially if you wanted to move anywhere at a reasonable pace.

Lovely lump that 3.0 v6, run like a clock, sounds super especially when you let off at high revs and is plenty powerful at about 150bhp I think.

Would a 1.2 not be woefully underpowered for a car that heavy?

Remember the Fabia is only VW Polo size / platform car? The power to weight of the 1.2 Fabia is better than the ubiquitous Octavia 1.4, so it would be fine for most people :)

• Advertisement

Cheensbo wrote: »
    They're actually less thirsty than the diesels in my experience! My manual one in oz managed 32mpg on a long run, 22-25 ish normally. The auto used a sup more but I used it solely in the city.

My 2.5's (diesels) couldn't keep with that economy especially if you wanted to move anywhere at a reasonable pace.

Lovely lump that 3.0 v6, run like a clock, sounds super especially when you let off at high revs and is plenty powerful at about 150bhp I think.

I would really love a reason to go and buy this so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Mjhh_Y2_Y4_ZGU0_NWJh_Zm_Zk_Zjg3_Yz_Qy_Nm_I0_M2_M2_Y2_Y1_Mzju5_QIV.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/12815408
    2004 Peugeot 206 Nct 06/17 TAX 11/16

206 pug looks clean and long test+tax.
    Low milage with full service history.
    Asking €900 but I'd imagine room for a haggle.

I had one of these from new from 2005 to 2013 and zero issues. Beyond not sexy!!
    Still hunting for a second cheap car. The mileage on this can't be right!
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/12817703

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Not a single serious inquiry. Around 100 lads who "will leave right now if I take €500" :rolleyes:

Motoring in this country is a joke.

Clearly not that pushed to sell the car. Have left you a few missed calls and texts about viewing.

Gave him a chance dude! He was probably working / unable to take the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Adding my own bus to this:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/citroen-xsara-diesel-nct-04-17-tax-08-16/12818364

OWViNDA0ZDBkNjU1OWQ3ZGI0Yjg2ZDY2ZmM2NGRmNjmj2GAmgwgZ9IvKYh6cE3UGaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181ODg3NzY3Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Has been an incredibly good servant to me, hopefully someone else will get value from it. Constructive comments on the ad welcome too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Really like this, in superb condition.

Saab 9-5 Vector Sport 2.0 Turbo. 2004. 132,000 miles. Tax September 2016, NCT February 2017. - €1,795.

Nice sunroof and cupholder. :)

DoneDeal Link
    Some quick research on this shows the seller to be a Dublin car detailer.
    Hence car looks absolutely lovely.

He has also sold other cars so seem to be a small dealer as a side business.

I should also note that this car doesn't have the sludge issue plaguing earlier models.

@Turbulent Bill

Ad is spot on and car is perfectly presented. I'd actually buy that in a heartbeat if I wanted a diesel!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    Clearly not that pushed to sell the car. Have left you a few missed calls and texts about viewing.

replied and apologies for the late response.

you would be correct in saying i am not pushed on selling in some regards, i'm happy to hold out for the right buyer. i'm hesitant to give it away and if i am to give it away for buttons i'd like an enthusiast to get it and enjoy it as much as i have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

replied and apologies for the late response.

you would be correct in saying i am not pushed on selling in some regards, i'm happy to hold out for the right buyer. i'm hesitant to give it away and if i am to give it away for buttons i'd like an enthusiast to get it and enjoy it as much as i have.

I think you should seriously consider keeping and storing it , now that the price level is gone so low , long time to vintage tax but not so long til classic insurance., and the fact it's one of the few not flecked about with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement