Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

choons wrote: »
    Genuine question - what makes this good value?

Genuine answer - if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Genuine answer - if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

Not very helpful for anyone trying to learn.

Can anyone else share what makes this car/model special?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That model of Civic is quite rare today - more so in two door form and unmolested like that one is. It has a decent engine too and good history from the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

In the market for a banger myself and SAABs are coming out on top for the money. Some examples:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-93-2004/12392447
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bargain-2005-saab-9-5-arc-taxed-amp-nctd/13039234
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-9-3-hot-aero-new-nct/13052242

Also seem to rate low on insurance loading which is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

For starters its probably the rarest civic to not be doing doughnuts in the pic.
    They are a boy racers wet dream and they enjoy modding the balls off them.
    I do like that its the sunroof model :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

They have quite the cult following, not many about that haven't been modified or ruined completely by hapless 17 year olds (having the time of their lives to be fair)

A non-fast version (vti, sir, type r) Honda Civic was, is, and ever shall be the fastest car in the world - even faster than rental cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

That's Boards for ya!! It just looks like any old boy-racer to me. It probably has some super dooper ultra rare engine never seen outside Japan, blah blah whatever. Why in the name of Jaysus would someone keep previous tax and nct discs and feel the need to put the registration cert up on DD...

jca wrote: »
    That's Boards for ya!! It just looks like any old boy-racer to me. It probably has some super dooper ultra rare engine never seen outside Japan, blah blah whatever. Why in the name of Jaysus would someone keep previous tax and nct discs and feel the need to put the registration cert up on DD...

Looks like a boy racer car? With it's stock hubcaps and standard fitout... :confused:

Nah it has a d15b engine, not particularly rare, but a pretty cool engine to be fair, SOHC 1.5 with 4 valves per cylinder, they came in a vtec too but don't think that one is.

Yep, why keep any history for a car at all, I certainly hope they havent had the cheek to fill out the service book too :pac:

Here's a terribly cheap tested 5 door version of the fastest car in the world.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic/13051331

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

That e39 is very cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

That e39 is very cheap

It is... so much so you wonder if there's anything wrong with it.

Well you got that €1k tax bill to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I've each and every tax disc for my car for the last 8 years since it was bought new.
    I will be stating that in the ad when I come to sell it.
    Why?
    Well firstly it shows I wasn't messing around with getting it signed off the road which was a typical sign of someone who won't spend a penny on their car.
    Secondly, if I care enough and am organised enough to keep these together with full history, it's a fair bet that the car has been looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

bear1 wrote: »
    For starters its probably the rarest civic to not be doing doughnuts in the pic.
    They are a boy racers wet dream and they enjoy modding the balls off them.
    I do like that its the sunroof model :D
    A Civic doing doughnuts??:confused::confused::confused:

It'd be just as possible for the car to get up and eat a doughnut than it would be do the doughnuts you're suggesting

mickdw wrote: »
    I've each and every tax disc for my car for the last 8 years since it was bought new.
    I will be stating that in the ad when I come to sell it.
    Why?
    Well firstly it shows I wasn't messing around with getting it signed off the road which was a typical sign of someone who won't spend a penny on their car.
    Secondly, if I care enough and am organised enough to keep these together with full history, it's a fair bet that the car has been looked after.

It doesn't matter a jot to a new owner whether the car was ever taxed. I do keep all receipts of expenditure on all the cars I've owned and made sure the service stamps were put in the book when it was serviced, but I really can't see the point in keeping tax discs, a manager I worked under in the 90's tried keeping old insurance discs ffs.. I lobbed them and the tax discs in the bin as soon as I got a chance. Life is too short guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Quazzie wrote: »

It'd be just as possible for the car to get up and eat a doughnut than it would be do the doughnuts you're suggesting

have you tried it in reverse? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It doesn't matter a jot to a new owner whether the car was ever taxed.

You're missing the point completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

marketty wrote: »
    Fair enough, still don't really get the point in blocking the reg on an ad though. As a buyer, I immediately skip those ads. I want to be able to do a hpi check

Can't check NCT or discover it recently changed hands. Can't do motor check online. Seller might not be registered owner. So most buyers will skip on to next add. Seller knows this too.
    I doubt seller gives two toses if someone cloned car he selling as by time it's clonef car be sold anyway.
    Their privacy is also given as another reason but as everyone knows we see car reg all the time and it doesn't impact anyone's privacy.

Reg hidden = seller hiding something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

millington wrote: »
    I suppose my daily qualifies for Bangernomics. Diesel, half decent spec and loads of NCT left. Pics are awful and will be updated. Bit of wiggle room on price too.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/opel/vectra/2005-opel-vectra/11077090
    Just guessing here, but I think you'll need to change the expiry date of the motor tax on your ad;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

dodzy wrote: »
    Just guessing here, but I think you'll need to change the expiry date of the motor tax on your ad;)

Why? The tax is up

unkel wrote: »
    You're missing the point completely.

What point? I'm an OCD owner that thinks keeping expired tax discs makes my car more desirable in the second hand market? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

What point? I'm an OCD owner that thinks keeping expired tax discs makes my car more desirable in the second hand market? Seriously?

I have CDO... It's like ODC, just the letters are in right order... /from BBT/

Well it's not any considerable effort to keep them, in fact there might be more effort involved in throwing them away.

It's a little bit of history if nothing else - I.e. If they paid a full year up front every year it would say to me that they might not have been too shy with other expenses either, it's not a guarantee but something is always better than nothing. So to me it would make it more desirable.

And anyway, that's just your opinion man, ( and it's wrong :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Quazzie wrote: »

It was a joke.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Why? The tax is up
    For someone checking your ad, it appears that it has been un-taxed for almost 2yrs. Obviously that's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

unkel wrote: »
    Yep. First Ireland in particular are quite amenable when it comes to premium brand German cars over 15 years old. Or even a bit younger I have heard from anecdotal evidence.

They have lovely T&Cs too, once you have a classic, add any other classic for just another €100 per year, fully comp. No charges for change overs, friendly staff.

Recommended!

I wonder would we get classic insurance quotes for BMW X5 seeing as they are touching bangernomics territory (cheapest on DD is 2800)

Obilg banger:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-530d-msport/12903606

looks clean and tidy recentish NCT (possible classic interance)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

dodzy wrote: »
    For someone checking your ad, it appears that it has been un-taxed for almost 2yrs. Obviously that's not the case.

What does it matter though? If the tax was up last week or 20 years ago it makes absolutely no odds to the new owner :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

What does it matter though? If the tax was up last week or 20 years ago it makes absolutely no odds to the new owner :confused:

Well someone looking at the advert might think the car has been off the road possibly due to a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Soarer

2 years without tax is fair going.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement