Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 acc2016

bear1 wrote: »
    mercedes-e200-elegance-03-just-ncted/12719464

NCT till next year as well and a nice kompressor engine.

That is quite nice actually. Repairs on these yokes can be expensive when they crop up though? But still, nice.

I love the idea of a six speed gearbox, far two many five speed boxes which are horrible on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I haven't really heard much negativity on the Kompressor engines but I'd drive it over a diesel one anyway :)
    For a shade under a grand it's quick a nice looking thing and not bog standard inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

acc2016 wrote: »
    bear1 wrote: »
    mercedes-e200-elegance-03-just-ncted/12719464

NCT till next year as well and a nice kompressor engine.

That is quite nice actually. Repairs on these yokes can be expensive when they crop up though? But still, nice.

I love the idea of a six speed gearbox, far two many five speed boxes which are horrible on the motorway.
    Auto or nothing with the E200 of that vintage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Soarer

The rules of Bangernomics are listed in the first post of this thread.

I always thought a car had to be taxed, but I was wrong.

Always learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The only lad who got offended was Kintaro, who's since deleted his post. In my very first line I stated I was open to correction, and tbf the other posters have made valid points that bangernomics doesn't have to be all about luxury motoring, it can be about getting from a to b for less than the bus.

Ah I'm not offended but deleted it in case it was taken as such. I took it down as ya just can't please everyone. It's very clear what constitutes a Bangernomics posting... not everyone wants an old beamer and vicea versa not everyone wants a cheap hatchback... but you can't please em all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Soarer

Ah I'm not offended

That's exactly what someone who was offended would say!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

Hi folks,

I will be putting my 97 starlet up for sale on dd in the next week or so, just wondering if there would be intrest from any boardsies, it has a very low 205k miles on it with timing belt been done at 200k, it's taxed for 3 months and nctd till October. I am only selling this as I am after getting hold of a 2001 corolla off a family friend, I will be putting this up for 650 but will happily take 550 for it. Pm me if anybody is interested I will get photos up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Zj_Q3_YWMz_YWY4_OGNm_Nj_Yw_Yz_E0_Nzg1_Nj_I1_Nz_Fl_ZGVl_Nz_YNjc_BM.jpg

ZDk2_ODEy_MDNj_Nzk4_Mz_Ni_Zj_Ux_M2_Uz_Yj_Bh_ZDI2_MTEy_Zj_ESd_U2f.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-primera-gt-sr20-150bhp/13016171

A great way to relive the glory days of the BTCC
    GT primera tested till May17
    Looks clean
    Solid bang for buck at €975

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That Primera looks great!

Also can I just say @Kintarō; Hattori I do enjoy your occasional posts in this thread. Would be a shame to see you stop posting here but whatever floats yer boat I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

The one rule that gets me is the 'That you would drive yourself'.

You wouldn't see me dead behind the wheel of that corsa, even if I got it for free.

I wonder if everyone took it seriously would some of the motors that are posted here make it in at all, but perhaps there's many that aren't not picky.

That primera is savage though.

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    That's exactly what someone who was offended would say!

*Walks off in a huff*

rizzodun wrote: »
    The one rule that gets me is the 'That you would drive yourself'.

You wouldn't see me dead behind the wheel of that corsa, even if I got it for free.

I wonder if everyone took it seriously would some of the motors that are posted here make it in at all, but perhaps there's many that aren't not picky.

That primera is savage though.

I've always hated that Corsa myself but if I was stuck I would. Now an early 90s Nissan Sunny.... not a hope in hell. I've always disliked that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I suspect that this thread may have got more than a few boards users out of a bind. Practically and urgency can override most other concerns in an hour of need.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Aye good point. Perhaps it is time to dump the requirement you would own / drive it yourself. Doesn't really seem to serve any purpose.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I suspect that this thread may have got more than a few boards users out of a bind. Practically and urgency can override most other concerns in an hour of need.

You are most cetainly right and I'm not disputing that at all.

But it if was between that corsa and walking, I wouldn't be sticking around on boards because I'd have to spend more time to get to and from work...

*On foot, in case people thought that meant I picked the corsa...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

unkel wrote: »
    Aye good point. Perhaps it is time to dump the requirement you would own / drive it yourself. Doesn't really seem to serve any purpose.

I disagree, its interesting to see the posters character through what they post under the guidelines.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I disagree, its interesting to see the posters character through what they post under the guidelines.

I think it's ignored for the most part.

Anyways, I'd drive this, pity that he pee'd on the seat at one stage....

NCT until March and he says it's taxed...

MzUyZmIwOTQ4NDRhZDM4MzQ5NDk3YTJjMTUyMmI4OWPEe6bYl8i4iNEmlkXg9n4EaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181OTU1NjAzNXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I don't really think the "would you drive the car yourself" rule is ignored all that often. It certainly isn't in my case as if it has wheels at all I'd drive it for a certain amount of time. And that's really the crux of the matter most of the sub 800 cars that go up here with tax and test aren't seen as long term investments where as the upper 2k limit is more of car that'd do for 2-3 years. Both sorta cars have their pro's and cons

Either way I don't think it's a major issue, imo the bangernomics thread is perfect the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

its interesting to see the posters character through what they post under the guidelines.

Of course. And I think many of us have shown our true colours over the years this way :p

I feel BuffyBot's argument is stronger though. If I see a car that is not for me, but that is a genuine bargain, according to the rules I can't post it. But if me posting that car would help somebody out, I'm all for dropping that rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

What the 5 series and the Sunny have in common is that they each in their own way put smile on the face of the owner and give them a sense they're getting a bargain every day. One gets to drive a car for a tiny fraction of its original price, another to hopefully run a car really cheaply without a hundred niggles and an nct fail.

Some people post cars and say "I'd drive it if I had to" and it does give great advice for someone looking for a car at that price point

But the rule might be better if it was understood as "something you'd drive yourself today right now", not just if you had to, but if you were in the market, and weighing everything up for yourself - price, possible model pitfalls, tax, insurance, snobbery, fuel, safety, condition (is it a good 'bad car' vs is it a bad 'good car')

A clean trouble free Sunny would put a smile on my face if I knew I bought it for €400. I can afford to run a 5 series right now so that would too in a different way and at more weekly expense and more prestige and way more refinement. A corsa is not a car I could drive right now - unless it had been garaged and barely used and was still shining ie time warp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

I feel BuffyBot's argument is stronger though. If I see a car that is not for me, but that is a genuine bargain, according to the rules I can't post it. But if me posting that car would help somebody out, I'm all for dropping that rule.

In that case I would agree with you. I don't know that much about cars but my learning has improved vastly as a results of Boards.ie and this thread. The insight into which models of which cars and what year range to buy and avoid are particularly insightful. Also the advice on amounts to pay and what to look out for when buying is also very very useful.

If dropping that rule mean an expanded wealth of knowledge becoming available then lets go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

Lads

I need a 7 seater to replace my Ssangyong Rodius (don't laugh!).

Opinions on the following, please

Honda Stream €1000
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-stream-7-seater-price-drop/13018778
    MzI0ZmJjODZiYzdlNWQ2NWUzY2Q0NjJhZjFlN2ZiZDHkhEQnLJm3w_ZYa4GtcxZyaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181OTg5NTY4Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Toyota Gaia €1200

MDA2OTRhMGM1NjM4ZTZkMDM3ZjE1ZmI3MzYzOGFiNmKAcyubGJam34MNjpocguFpaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181OTIxNzYwM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

VOLVO V70 2001 €1995
    NjlkNzc2MDg0OTY2ZTMzY2MzNjFlMmMzMjZlNDliOTFUB9ze8HDCufVY_c-abpbqaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NjUxMTQ1NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

06 VW Touran €1700
    OGRmOWU4OGE0OWNlM2M0OWY0ZTMwZDA3MDNmNzFjOTAaneenJUBwgCNJOyae3ReCaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181OTM3MTMzNXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?
    Must be reliable, no more than 2 litres.

Thanks Lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

yobr wrote: »
    If dropping that rule mean an expanded wealth of knowledge becoming available then lets go for it.

Let's not drop any rules.
    Let's not be fools.
    Original bangernomics =
    Tax and ticket*.
    Drive on, car gone.
    Rinse and repeat.

* NCT

Think; don't think, HJ.

So many good cars here...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Of course. And I think many of us have shown our true colours over the years this way :p

I think there are enough different personalities here for the genuine bargains to filter through, otherwise the thread just becomes a donedeal search <€2k with >3 months NCT. You can set up a daily email from donedeal for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Lads

I need a 7 seater to replace my Ssangyong Rodius (don't laugh!).

Opinions on the following, please

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?
    Must be reliable, no more than 2 litres.

Thanks Lads.

05 Corolla Verso Tax and Test:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/corolla-verso/13021600

07 Diesel Zafira with NCT til Jan
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-opel-zanfira-1-9-diesel/12563354

05 Diesel Alhambra with NCT for 14 months
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/seat-alhambra-new14-month-nct-tax/11946330

04 Ford Galaxy:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-galaxy-diesel/13058755

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 acc2016

Any recommendations on a good value saloon or decently sized hatchback?

Currently have a 2004 1.6 Mitsubishi Lancer, would probably only get maybe €1300 for it. Goes grand but brakes need to be done which is about €200

Don't mind going up to max 2.0 litre and €2000, prefer petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I think there are enough different personalities here for the genuine bargains to filter through, otherwise the thread just becomes a donedeal search <€2k with >3 months NCT. You can set up a daily email from donedeal for that.

I absolutely agree with the above.

Maybe that rule should be rephrased to "you would not mind driving" or something like that... I would drive everything if right conditions are met, but would also hate every day in some of the cars quoted...

Currently have a 2004 1.6 Mitsubishi Lancer, would probably only get maybe €1300 for it. Goes grand but brakes need to be done which is about €200

Fix the brakes for €200, then drive on.

Or sell on and join the Merrygoround.

Not your ornery onager

Fix the brakes for €200, then drive on.

Or sell on and join the Merrygoround.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

insurance loading will go up with 2.0 litre

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement