Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v70-2-4t-se-auto/13100543

ZWE0NjA5NDI0OWEyYmY4MjFjY2VjMTM4YTk5YWQ5ZjJq2Y-61OylXZqzuKeg7gxeaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MDMwOTk3NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Nice looking V70 2.4t with NCT to 3/17 for €750. A big comfortable cruiser

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s60-2-0t-180bhp-2005-new-nct/13033229

ZDk4ODBkMzQyYzRmMmNiNGFlNmE1MmZlOTUxNDYyMGRZD2i9OfWWAWuOBm_wluKnaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181OTk3NDY3NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Last one out of me..facelift '05 S60 with new NCT to 4/17 for €1150. I'd say you'd get this for a grand, and that is in my opinion a lot of car for the money

According to the NCT that number plate belongs to an Alpha Romeo. Strange?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

There is a 1 in between the 2 zeros. 05D34010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

According to the NCT that number plate belongs to an Alpha Romeo. Strange?

Probably associated with the Alpha male type but spelt Alfa...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

jca wrote: »
    Probably associated with the Alpha male type but spelt Alfa...

Ooooops - that is spell checking for you! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

cadaliac wrote: »
    Always check if the cruise control works in the s60, there is a control module that costs €900 to replace. It also puts up a warning light which is an nct fail. This one looks OK with the long nct, but if anyone is test driving one and serious about a purchase, it's a serious bargaining chip.
    In fact, they could have remedied it in late 03/04, not sure. The S80 didn't suffer this, only the s60 and v60 AFAIK

If this cruise control thing was a problem, is there any easy fix? Disabling the CC? Bit of blacktape over the warning light? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

An honest sounding 9-3 with service history and test to 04/17 for €1150 asking.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/saab-9-3-2-0-se-limited-edition-2002-nct-4-17/12799632

ZjA1ZTcwNWE2ZjU3MDVmODQ5MzExZWY1MjJiZjA0MDeqfQyLHMJ9WLHmtOCbvKjqaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181OTA3Njc3Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

An honest sounding 9-3 with service history and test to 04/17 for €1150 asking.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/saab-9-3-2-0-se-limited-edition-2002-nct-4-17/12799632

ZjA1ZTcwNWE2ZjU3MDVmODQ5MzExZWY1MjJiZjA0MDeqfQyLHMJ9WLHmtOCbvKjqaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181OTA3Njc3Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpegG]
    There is a serious amount of mould on the rear of the drivers seat

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Cheap as chips Saab 9-3, 1.9tid

http://www.adverts.ie/11118149
    With NCT

It's a trade car but it's fairly recent.

Only €695

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Markcheese

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Cheap as chips Saab 9-3, 1.9tid

That seems suspiciously cheap... with a decent nct...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Very, very cheap. DMF on the way out? Car would be an economical write-off if that was the case...

chicorytip wrote: »
    How do I post an image from a website such as Done Deal in this forum?
    Right-click on the image to get the image address. Once you do this, it is automatically copied for you.
    Then, back in boards, click on the little yellow postcard icon in the message area and paste the image address in. (Easiest way to do this is Ctrl and V.)
    Get posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Always check if the cruise control works in the s60, there is a control module that costs 900 to replace. It also puts up a warning light which is an nct fail. This one looks OK with the long nct, but if anyone is test driving one and serious about a purchase, it's a serious bargaining chip.
    In fact, they could have remedied it in late 03/04, not sure. The S80 didn't suffer this, only the s60 and v60 AFAIK

If this cruise control thing was a problem, is there any easy fix? Disabling the CC? Bit of blacktape over the warning light? :cool:
    Apologies, the cc is an easy to test for an abs warning light, which is an NCT failure.. The same control module for both. If there is a warning light on the dash, (not sure what this looks like) that indicates an abs or brake warning light, the easiest test is the cruise control - if the cc doesn't work, its probably the control module. Its an expensive part and its an easy truth. The same module controls both - so if one isn't working, and there is a light on the dash, chances are that the module has to be replaced.

The same control module for both.

I gathered that's what you meant. Terrible idea obviously, whoever proposed that should be shot :p

If you don't mind me asking, did you have a personal experience with this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

unkel wrote: »
    Very, very cheap. DMF on the way out? Car would be an economical write-off if that was the case...

That dealer is also a breaker and always has cheap cars advertised, even newer stuff, several grand cheaper than the main garages. Not sure what he is like to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-6-new-nct-08-17/12866496

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-9-3-new-nct/13070429

Sold my old banger there at the weekend.
    Going looking at these this week, both with long NCT. I have a serious liking to Saabs but spotted the Mazda yesterday.

I don't do near enough miles for a diesel, car will be a weekend motor, and collecting from creche in new year so mileage isn't that important to me. I like a big enough car, won't go back to golf/focus size due to the little ones at home. And I want a bit of power!

Is there anything that I should look for in the Mazda, seems a bit cheap for me but the years test suggests it could be worth a punt.

Answers on a postcard please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

mickeyk wrote: »
    That dealer is also a breaker and always has cheap cars advertised, even newer stuff, several grand cheaper than the main garages. Not sure what he is like to deal with.

It's gone, ad withdrawn

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Going looking at these this week, both with long NCT. I have a serious liking to Saabs but spotted the Mazda yesterday.

I don't do near enough miles for a diesel, car will be a weekend motor, and collecting from creche in new year so mileage isn't that important to me. I like a big enough car, won't go back to golf/focus size due to the little ones at home. And I want a bit of power!

Is there anything that I should look for in the Mazda, seems a bit cheap for me but the years test suggests it could be worth a punt.

Price on the Saab is high enough looking at the mileage. You may not mind high mileage but most people would be put off by that level on the clock. So factor that in to any negotiations with the seller. Probably not much of a service history but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Need a good Bangernomics quick as the Avensis is fecked!

Edit: Ignore car was a 2 litre!

Honda Accord 2004 €1620
    MzA3ZTdmYjVkNTBlNDhhMjVlYzRhMWI0ZTY3N2EyYzAYu0yD90NnJ4xCq4k8ywmXaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181ODAxMTMxOXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Not sure, but I think yer man's after getting himself a new cat...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Honda Accord 2004 €1620

Not sure, but I think yer man's after getting himself a new cat...

Cat can not haz cheeseburger.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Never really considered the Accord as a pussy magnet but there you go.
    Congrats Tom.

unkel wrote: »
    The same control module for both.

I gathered that's what you meant. Terrible idea obviously, whoever proposed that should be shot :p

If you don't mind me asking, did you have a personal experience with this issue?
    Yes, when shopping for my last (current) car. I went to see an s60 in Cork and I couldn't get the cruise to work on a test drive. I was warned about it from a mechanic.
    Anyway, the light was on, on the dash but the owner just said it needed a service. I did a little more investigating and discovered that the part was 900.
    I walked away from that car and purchased an s80 in Dublin shortly afterwards.
    According to another poster its in the s40 as well.

I'd chance that mazda at that price. Test drive will reveal all. If you knock 12 months out of it - :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I need some bangernomics advice - tl;dr: keep it or replace it?

I have a 'nomics E39 525i that I bought for €1150 nearly two years ago. Since then I've put quite a few bits in - rebuilt alternator, new battery, cats for both banks (not new - replaced from a low mile donor), new MAF sensor (reason for the replacement cats!), replaced fuel pump, a few suspension bits and an expansion bottle.

So now I'm coming up to NCT and tax renewal. Far as I can see there are two major known issues to pass NCT: two new rear ball joints replacement, and a new set of tyres (at 2-3mm so technically legal but at the limit I'm comfortable with and probably get an advisory?). The other issue is while I'm getting a (brim-tested) 32 MPG average, a diesel would be more suited to my driving.

My auld lad thinks I'd be crazy to replace it as the body and engine are in very good condition and I've replaced many of the problematic parts.

Any advice on making this decision?

Depends on your budget. How much are you willing to spend?
    You won't get much for the BMW without an nct

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Two ball joints and four tires aren't much hassle for an NCT, fairly good going for a banernomics car IMO! Tires I should imagine won't be overly cheap on an E39 but that depends on brand etc too of course.

32 MPG to my mind is good going for a big 6 cylinder BMW too! A diesel will probably do a bit better but certainly it won't be as nice to drive.

I know this logic is loved on here, but if you consider a diesel car is going to be 2.0 / 2.2 litre anyway there isn't going to be a huge saving in tax money.

Personally, I'd hang onto it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Two ball joints and four tires aren't much hassle for an NCT, fairly good going for a banernomics car IMO! Tires I should imagine won't be overly cheap on an E39 but that depends on brand etc too of course.

32 MPG to my mind is good going for a big 6 cylinder BMW too! A diesel will probably do a bit better but certainly it won't be as nice to drive.

I know this logic is loved on here, but if you consider a diesel car is going to be 2.0 / 2.2 litre anyway there isn't going to be a huge saving in tax money.

Personally, I'd hang onto it :P

6faaa08700cb0741e8ba3c5fed121449.png

Trojan wrote: »
    Any advice on making this decision?

You've spend a lot of money keeping your car right. More than I would have. That said, here you are now with a car that needs almost nothing, it would be silly to sell it (worth almost nothing) and spend serious money on a replacement

Get premium brand part worns @ €40 a corner from a reputable place like Tyreland, get the ball joints done, put your car through the NCT and stop thinking about your issue until this time next year.

How the hell do you get 32MPG from your car though? Do you realise your E39 car and its lovely 6 pot engine both hate you? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Unkel is like the bangernomics oracle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement