Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

cadaliac wrote: »
    Depends on your budget. How much are you willing to spend?
    You won't get much for the BMW without an nct
    Yeah I figure I'd be lucky to get €500 for it if that.

How much am I willing to spend? Bangernomics budget.

Currently looking at €200-320 for the ball joints (actual quotes), and anything up to €800 for new rubber. Let's call it €800 total for mid range tyres and the cheaper ball joint quote. I'm willing to spend around twice that for replacement.
    Two ball joints and four tires aren't much hassle for an NCT, fairly good going for a banernomics car IMO! Tires I should imagine won't be overly cheap on an E39 but that depends on brand etc too of course.

I reckon I can get something like Nankang NS20s for €650, but the suggestion below is interesting.
    32 MPG to my mind is good going for a big 6 cylinder BMW too! A diesel will probably do a bit better but certainly it won't be as nice to drive.

I know this logic is loved on here, but if you consider a diesel car is going to be 2.0 / 2.2 litre anyway there isn't going to be a huge saving in tax money.

Personally, I'd hang onto it :P

Very true. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.
    unkel wrote: »
    You've spend a lot of money keeping your car right. More than I would have. That said, here you are now with a car that needs almost nothing, it would be silly to sell it (worth almost nothing) and spend serious money on a replacement

Yeah I think getting it at such a bargain originally allowed me to budget nearly a grand for initial repairs, so when it came time to go further I was ok with that. I think that's the trap with buying a nice bangernomics. When it's cleaned up it looks fantastic.
    Get premium brand part worns @ €40 a corner from a reputable place like Tyreland, get the ball joints done, put your car through the NCT and stop thinking about your issue until this time next year.

I was looking to buy new tyres... but you might be right, it's not very economical at this stage if they outlast the rest of it. I've asked Tyreland for a quote, anywhere else you recommend?
    How the hell do you get 32MPG from your car though? Do you realise your E39 car and its lovely 6 pot engine both hate you? :p

Hah! Well getting 3 points has helped on the MPG front. I also do almost no short trips or city driving (I still do some, but not much).

Don't get me wrong, I still get it up the rev range, that 6 cyclinder just sounds so good, but I am quite happy to plod along at 1500 RPM when I'm in no rush.

Appreciate the feedback from everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-6-new-nct-08-17/12866496

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-9-3-new-nct/13070429

Sold my old banger there at the weekend.
    Going looking at these this week, both with long NCT. I have a serious liking to Saabs but spotted the Mazda yesterday.

I don't do near enough miles for a diesel, car will be a weekend motor, and collecting from creche in new year so mileage isn't that important to me. I like a big enough car, won't go back to golf/focus size due to the little ones at home. And I want a bit of power!

Is there anything that I should look for in the Mazda, seems a bit cheap for me but the years test suggests it could be worth a punt.

Answers on a postcard please.

Went to look at both last night. Only saw one in the end, the Saab. Despite arranging to meet the Mazda owner on Sunday and confirming at lunch yesterday, he forgot about it. Just as well I rang before driving the 45 minutes to look at it. He rang back 25mins after I rang him twice by which time I had booked the Saab in.

The Saab is in great nick, not a mark on it, and spotless inside. The owners wife doesn't like the car and wants rid of it. Mileage is a bit on the high side but at the same time, timing belt and water pump done and recently serviced, good service history as well, and I wouldn't be doing massive miles in it either, the odd long trip to Donegal will be the height of it. Plus the years test and a months tax on it.

Have arranged for the Mazda again for tonight but I won't hold my breath on the owner coming to meet.

Insurance is nearly €200 cheaper on the Saab than the Mazda. Didn't think it would be so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Went to look at both last night. Only saw one in the end, the Saab. Despite arranging to meet the Mazda owner on Sunday and confirming at lunch yesterday, he forgot about it. Just as well I rang before driving the 45 minutes to look at it. He rang back 25mins after I rang him twice by which time I had booked the Saab in.

The Saab is in great nick, not a mark on it, and spotless inside. The owners wife doesn't like the car and wants rid of it. Mileage is a bit on the high side but at the same time, timing belt and water pump done and recently serviced, good service history as well, and I wouldn't be doing massive miles in it either, the odd long trip to Donegal will be the height of it. Plus the years test and a months tax on it.

Have arranged for the Mazda again for tonight but I won't hold my breath on the owner coming to meet.

Insurance is nearly €200 cheaper on the Saab than the Mazda. Didn't think it would be so much.

Personally I'd be after that Saab too, the Mazda just looks like a depressing place to be. You can't beat a bit of cream cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

Trojan wrote: »
    I reckon I can get something like Nankang NS20s for €650, but the suggestion below is interesting.
    I was looking to buy new tyres... but you might be right, it's not very economical at this stage if they outlast the rest of it. I've asked Tyreland for a quote, anywhere else you recommend?
    On tyres, if you buy another car, it'll be a bit of a crapshoot on what sort of tyres you get. Doubly so if it's in the bangernomics range. But even relatively new cars can be on rubbish tyres (there's lots of people that just think a tyre's a tyre and they'll buy whatever's cheap and available when they need them)

Personally, I like to drive on all-season tyres, so when I'm buying a bangernomics I'll budget/plan in to buy a new set of tyres for it within a couple of months, and I'll get a set of tyres that work for the driving I'm doing (currently on Michelin Cross Climates which have been going well for last 8k miles and stop well too). During the year I end up driving a lot in rain/cold/night and from safety point of view I want to know what rubber is on the road.

Only caution is if you put 650 into new tyres and then the car keels over (terminal) a week later. Again, you're on surer ground with the car you know.

Anyway, in your situation I'd leave the tyres out of the equation in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Kamili wrote: »
    Personally I'd be after that Saab too, the Mazda just looks like a depressing place to be. You can't beat a bit of cream cow.

@850 bucks, I'd be smiling all day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The Saab is a beaut but by God it's some run from Donegal to Cork to look at a car and not actually buy it.

Jayop wrote: »
    The Saab is a beaut but by God it's some run from Donegal to Cork to look at a car and not actually buy it.

Didn't realise it was that far away.. yeah I have to agree there.

If you really want a saab, hold out, they seem to be a plenty in here.

Kamili wrote: »
    Didn't realise it was that far away.. yeah I have to agree there.

If you really want a saab, hold out, they seem to be a plenty in here.

I'm in Sligo and I limit my searching to Connacht and possibly Longford if it's something I really like. Even at that, if I do drive to see something further away than half an hour I take my money and buy on the spot.

Probably be different if I wasn't buying bangernomics in fairness.

I'm in Sligo and I limit my searching to Connacht and possibly Longford if it's something I really like. Even at that, if I do drive to see something further away than half an hour I take my money and buy on the spot.

Probably be different if I wasn't buying bangernomics in fairness.

Yeah might be, but Bangernomics rocks! (provided it works out)

I've done that too, mechanic money and drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

Forgot to mention I live in Cork, I might be mad but not that far gone!

With the kids, I do well to get away for an hour or 2 so the search area is limited to Cork.

• Advertisement

Forgot to mention I live in Cork, I might be mad but not that far gone!

With the kids, I do well to get away for an hour or 2 so the search area is limited to Cork.

lol ah right, yeah that makes wayyy more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,415 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Trojan wrote: »
    I've asked Tyreland for a quote, anywhere else you recommend?

I'd stick with Tyreland, have good experience with them. Big operation, growing and profitable, buy there part worn tyres in bulk in Germany afaik and also afaik the only crowd that x-ray the part worn tyres. And there prices are very good. You might get similar tyres for €5 or €10 a corner less elsewhere, but you won't get the same service / peace of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I'd stick with Tyreland, have good experience with them. Big operation, growing and profitable, buy there part worn tyres in bulk in Germany afaik and also afaik the only crowd that x-ray the part worn tyres. And there prices are very good. You might get similar tyres for €5 or €10 a corner less elsewhere, but you won't get the same service / peace of mind
    Have you used them for wheel alignment by any chance Unkel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

commited wrote: »
    Have you used them for wheel alignment by any chance Unkel?

I did once. . Great job. Computer printout of alignment and car never drove better .

• Registered Users Posts: 65,415 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No I haven't. Just part worn tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

zerks wrote: »
    That is a nice find, with a lot of useful info contained in the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Is that bonnet (and boot) sitting correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I was thinking maybe the bonnet was unlatched but it doesn't look quite high enough for that and the lack of engine photo in the ad probably means it isn't either.

Seems a fairly honest ad though for something dodgy like that....or maybe I'm just naive :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

That bonnet when looking at the car head on does seem to be every so slightly shifted to the right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Nice car, no nct though.

umpboom.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

€1100, NCT 01/17. 1.8 with a manual box. Cheap enough, nice ones are getting good money again.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/190e/12740275

YTg1ZDJlYThlOThjNGM2MTQwMDEzMDQ4N2Y1NWM1ZmGM1W24HAzhu4s4sEXNmb2aaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181ODQ4NTcwNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

€1500, 6 months NCT, with leather, pity it's the 1.8.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-e34-/12825917
    OTY1ZjM3Nzk4ZGE2MGE1NzgwZGFhMmE1MDI1NDkzN2TwWZO3C4LFXt8AmnZT2_OgaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181ODkxODU2NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Two more Beemers,

E34, 525 tds, €1550, New NCT 08/17, I may have posted this a few months ago.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/94-bmw-e34-td-with-nct-till-mid-august-17/12896808

NWUxZTI4YzI4Y2Q0YTQxOGIzY2Y4Zjc0N2I0YjEzZjJwXtlvz0tV9kDGfTwYqUCJaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181OTI4MjM3Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Nice colour scheme, ad seems honest and a manual for those who prefer it. Should come in at Bangernomics with haggling, but it's got a shortish test.

€2250, 12/16

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-528i-msport-manual/12720199

ZTE2ODgwMzk4YjQwYjgzOTEwN2YxZTNjY2ZjZmNjOTLB4FKeZmm-XKhoKlfmG6mdaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181ODM5MTQ1Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

2003 Mazda 6:
    Tax Sept 16, Nct Feb 17
    Ad says everything working
    1.8L Petrol, 135,234 mi

€395

EDIT - Seller has changed the ad to a different car.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-6-petrol-cheap/13127861

OTZhNGJhNjdhZjU2ZGY4NmU3YWVjNjhjNzQzMzcxZTGM_9WTtkoMzZDKBl-7DtB4aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MDQ2ODE1MHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

2006 Peugeot 407 NCT 08/17 - 53000 Miles
    Could last you a good few years if it all check out

€1950

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-407-nct-08-17-and-only-53-000-miles/11978706

NTBlYzFlNTg5MzcyNjI1OGQ2MDc1ODE3OTliMDA4MzXtzR6sTDU-LTMG_6boMD77aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NDU5ODMzNXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Red Kev wrote: »
    E34, 525 tds, €1550, New NCT 08/17, I may have posted this a few months ago.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/94-bmw-e34-td-with-nct-till-mid-august-17/12896808

genuine query - why would an NCT cert show 0 miles on the windscreen disc?

Would buy just for the reg... nct to 01/17, priced 2200, surely could be bargained to within range.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-alfa-romeo-159-2-2-jts-sportivo-n-c-t-1-17/12490018

ZmJmNGQwZWZmNjg4ZDIzNTkwMzMwM2U1NDQ3NjEyZDGowZSxK9ppOSKWCKxyHuW9aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NzI0NjkzNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

NCT to 12/2017 and taxed to 09/16. €1795.

No mention of history , so that'd need to be investigated, also the garage plate surrounds would have me checking every damn thing on it before handing over any cash.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-159-sportivo-tax-amp-nct/12718584

Y2RhZTk1YmVlNmQ4Y2UzMTUyYzkxMjRkNjI5MzhmZjWyT7BMn1zj1fJnfxj-Ep5maHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181ODM4MzMyMHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement