Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Red Kev wrote: »
    Audi TT Quattro, 180bhp, 06/17, €2200, available with classic insurance as a second car.
    Black suits it better than silver IMO.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-tt-1-8-qattro-180-hp/12877906

NGZkY2UzNDM1OGI5NTUzZWUyMWUxMzkxZWI5ZDc1NWK54y34BeSh9KzvJWNqY1c7aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181OTE4Mjg3N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    Nice car, but you can get the 225bhp version for less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭newcar2016

Cheap daily driver that needs a bit of TLC with the door and interior, it would make a good rolling resto for the winter and flog it in the spring for the same money. Faded red paint could probably do with nothing more than a good detail/polish. Seriously economical either way.

€1250, 04/17

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-mk2-1-6-td/12960138

NDRjN2ZhNWEyOGJlZTg1YTMzZmVkYmNmMjcxNDY0YWR2XXnoOfcCL3g9mHAOauJCaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181OTYwOTQzMnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Isn't it a tad jaded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

newcar2016 wrote: »
    Isn't it a tad jaded?

It's a banger, ergo it fits in Bangernomics.

Is it jaded? Only a test drive will tell you that, I agree that optically it's not the best.

Seriously though, it needs a clean, wax and polish, paint touched up and the wheels done, as well as a new door.

If you're not too worried about image you could feasibly buy the car, drive it every day, fix it up bit by bit as you find the parts, give it a good valet and home service and head to the NCT early next year to see how you get on. It's a reliable car, very economical with cheap parts availability, so it's cheap to run. Flogging the Jetta front end will give you a few bob to finance all that.

I've owned and driven far, far worse than that. It's a rare enough car these days and if you look after it, you'll probably lose nothing on it in depreciation over a couple of years and if you invest a few quid in cleaning it up it'll be a cheap car to own .

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It seems to be overpriced by a good €1,000. I know there will be Golf enthusiasts who would love to own such a "classic" but to the rest of us, it's just an old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Looks very rough tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭newcar2016

It's a banger, ergo it fits in Bangernomics.

Is it jaded? Only a test drive will tell you that, I agree that optically it's not the best.

Seriously though, it needs a clean, wax and polish, paint touched up and the wheels done, as well as a new door.

If you're not too worried about image you could feasibly buy the car, drive it every day, fix it up bit by bit as you find the parts, give it a good valet and home service and head to the NCT early next year to see how you get on. It's a reliable car, very economical with cheap parts availability, so it's cheap to run. Flogging the Jetta front end will give you a few bob to finance all that.

I've owned and driven far, far worse than that. It's a rare enough car these days and if you look after it, you'll probably lose nothing on it in depreciation over a couple of years and if you invest a few quid in cleaning it up it'll be a cheap car to own .

Its probably the worst thing I have seen in this thread so far, its bordering on a joke in my opinion.

But each to their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

If you're not too worried about image you could feasibly buy the car, drive it every day, fix it up bit by bit as you find the parts, give it a good valet and home service and head to the NCT early next year to see how you get on.
    You'd want to keep a note-book of the costs to be sure where the overall cost of ownership is at. Cheap as parts might be, things add up and the initial purchase price isn't super super cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Cheap daily driver that needs a bit of TLC with the door and interior, it would make a good rolling resto for the winter and flog it in the spring for the same money. Faded red paint could probably do with nothing more than a good detail/polish. Seriously economical either way.

1250, 04/17

NDRjN2ZhNWEyOGJlZTg1YTMzZmVkYmNmMjcxNDY0YWR2XXnoOfcCL3g9mHAOauJCaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181OTYwOTQzMnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Is it just me seeing a overpriced rust bucket that wasn't even a fantastic car from new now fit for scrap yard being described as daily driver. It would have a hard time in classic thread just can see why it's included here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

I reckon it's worth about half (or a little more than half) the asking price but to be fair it's neither dog rough nor a rust bucket. Its not the worst yoke posted here recently either.

There was a couple of 06 & 07 chevrolets posted here recently that I wouldn't take a shìte in and would have this 91 golf over any day of the week.

As said before the front end is desirable on it, a few passes with some compound and you'd have a nice clean looking jammer. I can't believe I'm writing this as I can't stand golfs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Buffman

Believe it or not lads the Golfs asking price is not as mad as it might first seem. They do have a following in the Classic scene. If you're prepared to run it or store it for a few years until it's 30 years old you'll make money on it. That old 1.6 diesel rivals modern diesels for MPG, without any of the modern 'advancements' that can go wrong and cost mega bucks to fix. (DMF, DPF, etc.)

This particular MK2 could be rare enough with the rectangular headlights, I think they were a limited edition of some sort here and normally only available on North American cars.

I think the only mistake the seller has made is putting it in the general Donedeal 'Cars' section and not the 'Classic car' one, potentially loosing a good few veiws.

There are similar 'banger' MK1 Golfs up for between €4-5k on Donedeal.

If I had the space to store it, I'd consider it.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement

Isn't it a tad jaded?
    It seems to be overpriced by a good €1,000. I know there will be Golf enthusiasts who would love to own such a "classic" but to the rest of us, it's just an old car.
    wonski wrote: »
    Looks very rough tbh.
    Its probably the worst thing I have seen in this thread so far, its bordering on a joke in my opinion.

But each to their own!
    visual wrote: »
    Is it just me seeing a overpriced rust bucket that wasn't even a fantastic car from new now fit for scrap yard being described as daily driver. It would have a hard time in classic thread just can see why it's included here

:):):D:D

well-that-escalated-jmg8n6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Folks please note this thread is for 2000 euro or less.
    It doesn't matter what the car is worth in anyone's opinion - seller's current price is what matters.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Poor Kev!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Lads. The wife bought this in a hurry when her diesel Rover 75 failed NCT on rust
    She hates it. Wants a proper saloon car again

It's in everyday use and a miser on petrol
    I have been very honest with faults
    It says absolutely No offers on ad, BUT I'd knock another €50 off for any of you here
    Ready to drive away. Tax is out in 2 days and it's NCT'd until March next year

Great 2004 car for under €550 if it's what you're looking for!!

20160423_162927.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Thats a bargain there for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

€1250, 04/17

A bit of haggling needed alright but worst car ever posted on here? Not by a long way. A side from the mk2 gti, a 3dr 1.6td would be one of the most desirable/valuable mk2 golfs to own.
    It appears to be well spec'd too.
    Jetta front end conversion but the original included too.
    All in all if a man could tidy up the paint without a full respray ya would have a grand little car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

But each to their own!

It's bad, but nowhere as bad as that shed of a Vectra that was on here last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

It's bad, but nowhere as bad as that shed of a Vectra that was on here last week.

Dukey bought that :):).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Agreed (and I posted the Vectra :P) - the last few posts re. that Golf smack of total band wagonry and general "idk what I'm talking about"

A mk2 2 door GTD Golf is worth a fair fair bit of money tidied up, and that one looks it doesn't need a whole lot.

As I said, if you're a Golf fanboi, great and enjoy that "vintage" "classic" piece of crap. For us normal people, it's a fairly ugly old car that doesn't merit anything like the price tag. A price tag that is only possible because there are fanatics who know that that's a mk 2 x, y or z. No one else cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

As I said, if you're a Golf fanboi, great and enjoy that "vintage" "classic" piece of crap. For us normal people, it's a fairly ugly old car that doesn't merit anything like the price tag. A price tag that is only possible because there are fanatics who know that that's a mk 2 x, y or z. No one else cares.
    Are we allowed to apply this rule to all the jap scrap that gets posted or the seemingly infinite amount of ugly Alfas?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'd rather that Golf then that feckin Vectra that was posted a few days ago.
    As for Alfas being ugly... right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Aha it seems the penny has dropped across the last few posts. Opinions are subjective.

The golf is worth exactly what someone will pay for it, and someone will pay probably close to the asking.

I see alfas and other stuff in here that I wouldn't give 10c for, does that make em worthless? Nope, because someone else sees the value in them.

Can we get back to bangers now please :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Buffman

Buffman wrote: »
    This particular MK2 could be rare enough with the rectangular headlights, I think they were a limited edition of some sort here and normally only available on North American cars.
    Jetta front end conversion but the original included too.

Guess I should have actually read the ad!:D
    Agreed (and I posted the Vectra :P) - the last few posts re. that Golf smack of total band wagonry and general "idk what I'm talking about"

Exactly, I appreciate all posts as they get me considering some models which I don't think I would otherwise, the broader the spectrum the better IMO.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Buffman wrote: »
    Guess I should have actually read the ad!:D

Exactly, I appreciate all posts as they get me considering some models which I don't think I would otherwise, the broader the spectrum the better IMO.
    That golf is well over priced
    "Mk 2 jetta front" who da fuq wants that?
    A 1991 vw golf with unlisted mileage that's been tampered with. ...
    It's exactly a grand overpriced imo.
    Of course, this is only my opinion

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »

From that ad:
    Tb and water pump,new discs/pads,fan belt,all filters including diff oils and gearbox oil....sitting on 4x 75% continental winter contact tyres....and ideal little run around especially in winter being 4x4..

That alone os a good pointer as to how well it's been looked after. Well worth a look IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement