Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Buffman

cadaliac wrote: »
    That golf is well over priced
    "Mk 2 jetta front" who da fuq wants that?
    A 1991 vw golf with unlisted mileage that's been tampered with. ...
    It's exactly a grand overpriced imo.
    Of course, this is only my opinion

I think there'll always be debate when a borderline banger/classic car is posted here. Now I'm not a VW fan by any stretch, but sticking with this Golf, you'll be doing well to find a similar one with test for less.

Due to various scrappage schemes cars of this era are thin on the ground. Saying that, I'd expect to be haggling a few bob off his asking.

I do think he'd be better off putting the original face back on it to appeal to the classic side.

Finally, if you think that one's overpriced, for the love of God don't do a search for GTI in the Donedeal Classics or you'll be :eek:! I'd post a few links except they're well above the €2k limit for this thread.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That golf is local to me. Used to have nice red/clear rear lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Red Kev wrote: »
    From that ad:

That alone os a good pointer as to how well it's been looked after. Well worth a look IMO.

But they are part-worn! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

It's bad, but nowhere as bad as that shed of a Vectra that was on here last week.

Agreed (and I posted the Vectra :P) - the last few posts re. that Golf smack of total band wagonry and general "idk what I'm talking about"

A mk2 2 door GTD Golf is worth a fair fair bit of money tidied up, and that one looks it doesn't need a whole lot.

54 hp 4 maybe 5 speed be horrible on motorway and find it difficult keeping up with traffic at other times. Daily driver it's not. It's too decapitated to make desired classic and too costly to restore to any condition that would make it desirable.

I feel this along with the Vectra are taking the thread in the wrong direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

It's bad, but nowhere as bad as that shed of a Vectra that was on here last week.

Agreed (and I posted the Vectra :P) - the last few posts re. that Golf smack of total band wagonry and general "idk what I'm talking about"

A mk2 2 door GTD Golf is worth a fair fair bit of money tidied up, and that one looks it doesn't need a whole lot.

54 hp 4 maybe 5 speed be horrible on motorway and find it difficult keeping up with traffic at other times. Daily driver it's not. It's too rundown to make desired classic and too costly to restore to any condition that would make it desirable.

• Advertisement

Well specced 05 Rover 75 2.0 Diesel, Tax & Test until Jan, UK import with 200K miles, asking €999, after some haggling it's cheap comfortable motoring until next year.

MzIxZDZmZDEwOTY1YzRiZjQyZDNkZjk4MmY3OGVhODIGxFpqdjQB-qt56Z7LAuGuaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MDQyMjExNnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Haggling? You could always try of course but that car is worth the full asking price if there's nothing wrong with it. There's €240 of tax on it and these cars have been going up in value in the last year or so.

Nice find!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

visual wrote: »
    54 hp 4 maybe 5 speed be horrible on motorway

rabble, rabble, moan, moan...
    At least get your facts right...it's 72 hp :D

Thread does exactly what it says on the tin ... it contains bangers.
    Some more banged up than others...learn to live with it.

unkel wrote: »
    Haggling? You could always try of course but that car is worth the full asking price if there's nothing wrong with it. There's €240 of tax on it and these cars have been going up in value in the last year or so.

Nice find!

Ye, it's good value. Now when I say haggling, I wouldn't be going in offering €500 like you with the BMW:p, but to me €999 might mean €950 on that car, and if you don't ask you don't get, but ye it's worth his asking.

It's actually been up online at that price for a good while (2 weeks?), I meant to post it before but was in Saab/Volvo mode (ended up getting a V40 the other day), but I'm surprised it hasn't been sold yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Lads. The wife bought this in a hurry when her diesel Rover 75 failed NCT on rust
    She hates it. Wants a proper saloon car again

It's in everyday use and a miser on petrol
    I have been very honest with faults
    It says absolutely No offers on ad, BUT I'd knock another €50 off for any of you here
    Ready to drive away. Tax is out in 2 days and it's NCT'd until March next year

Great 2004 car for under €550 if it's what you're looking for!!

20160423_162927.jpg
    pm sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Once again
    Bangernomics rules:
    Under €2000
    Valid NCT
    Something you'd actually drive yourself
    VRT paid

A valid entry is a valid entry. Do we truly need two/three page discussions every time something that isn't a big leathery Saab or Volvo isn't posted?

Its so annoying at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Jesus Christ this thread.

Thats a lovely find

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thread needs more Swedes. :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Esel wrote: »
    Thread needs more Swedes. :)

Big comfortable boat of an S80, D5 engine- high mileage , test 03/17, something about tax. €2k, should have plenty of haggle room.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s80-2-4-d5new-nct-automatic-quick-sale/12837853

OWJmYjQwNmJlMGViMzRmYWMwZWYwYTRiM2RkNzhiNDUczDog3uUAcRphr62I231kaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181ODk3ODI4N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

2.0t test to 06/17. 123k miles. Bodywork looks like it's seen better days (passenger side), but if it's mechanically sound it's comfortable motoring for €950.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s80-2-0-t-se-valid-nct-test-until-june-20/13238785

YzUxMjFmMjlmODcwY2M3ZWFkNGExMGJhYmE1ODM0YjXxo5Ouynn4OwIzbeIq2asMaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTA2NjgwMHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Or for something a bit different, here's a C70 with test to 03/17 for €1300. "future classic" may be somewhat optimistic.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-c70-automatic/13223226

YTI5NGNjMGFmOWI1NTRhNjA1NzE3NGFlOTk5NTVmZTYNwm8PnMaElT4RFY23OYi0aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MDk5MDEzMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Actually sod the above, just found this one :)

Test to 01/17, tax to the end of this year, 112k miles. €400. Essentially a free car.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car/13232025

M2VjNjUxYzk0MGYzOGQwNTVlYjhiZWY5ZDMzNTJjZmH_cYgPib_BlDAX_B3CmoqgaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTAzMjMwNnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Jaysus that is excellent (the 440) - though a two litre is less than ideal in a runabout like that, you hardly have to worry about taxing it for a while. I'd say it is a little gem in the flesh tbh.

Expiring test (one month) so would need investigation, but this is a beautiful interior/exterior combo for €2k if it's legit. Belts/pump done as per ad.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-159/13064075

YmQ0MjFiYzFjMDVjNzlhMTE5MWI2NDZlNjI5Mjc3ZTlwV5CybPOlIwwCcAfc7AGcaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MDEyNTk3N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

. Cam belt, water pump fitted

Since the JTS has a chain, I'd be wary of this claim....

I'll admit I only skimmed the ad, I was blinded by the interior :D

Really nice spec S60 2.0T automatic with NCT 06/2017, tax to 09/16, only 98k miles.

Yours for €1750 or however much you think you can haggle off it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-volvo-s60-2-0t-tax-nct-low-milage/13240730

MjZkYzI0NTUzNjc4NjJmMTJkZDFjYzUyMGU2OTdmZGGY9lsmi_6KcWVJGIWEDvL2aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTA3NzQyNXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Unless he meant that the chain was replaced but ive never heard of the chains in an Alfa 159 causing any issues.

Tidy looking 9-3, test 04/17, tax 10/16. 148k miles. €1750

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-9-3-turbo-diesel-2005-selling-1750/13212530

NGZmZTYxNzRkNzBhZWY0ZjM0YTNiYzU5M2RmNjg4Nzf6-38IUuAzt_LNyK_N5RQ8aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MDkzMjIwN3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Last one, pictures are sh1te, but it's an Accord 2.0 executive, tested to 03/17, taxed to 09/16 and it's €900.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-2002-se-executive/13240323

NGFmNjFkMmE0YTZmZThjYWI5OWNjMjY5OWFkYmRkNTRreyYNFJ_Ja08pWRLv8AQjaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTA3NTE5OHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

bear1 wrote: »
    Unless he meant that the chain was replaced but ive never heard of the chains in an Alfa 159 causing any issues.

Possibly, but mentioning the water pump as well sounds like he us just trying to placate alfa buyers expecting a timing belt. But I will give the benefit of the doubt as its lovely.

I'm assuming you are missing the </sarcasm> tags in your post!!! The 2.2 and 3.2 are notorious chain munchers. Not really an issue on the 1.9 - if its has had scheduled oil changes.

Actually, on balance, that 1.9 is proving to be a very decent engine at high miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Possibly, but mentioning the water pump as well sounds like he us just trying to placate alfa buyers expecting a timing belt. But I will give the benefit of the doubt as its lovely.

I'm assuming you are missing the </sarcasm> tags in your post!!! The 2.2 and 3.2 are notorious chain munchers. Not really an issue on the 1.9 - if its has had scheduled oil changes.

Actually, on balance, that 1.9 is proving to be a very decent engine at high miles.

I was referring to the 1.9 in this case.
    Didn't make it sound like it though :)
    Id have the 1.9 over the 2.2 but if only the 1.9 had the twin exhausts!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement