Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Soarer

Actually sod the above, just found this one :)

Test to 01/17, tax to the end of this year, 112k miles. €400. Essentially a free car.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car/13232025

M2VjNjUxYzk0MGYzOGQwNTVlYjhiZWY5ZDMzNTJjZmH_cYgPib_BlDAX_B3CmoqgaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTAzMjMwNnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Going by the pics, that's only done a few hundred miles since its last nct in December! Mighty!

Insurance will be its downfall I'd say. Wonder if you'd get Classic cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Buffman wrote: »
    Well specced 05 Rover 75 2.0 Diesel, Tax & Test until Jan, UK import with 200K miles, asking €999, after some haggling it's cheap comfortable motoring until next year.

MzIxZDZmZDEwOTY1YzRiZjQyZDNkZjk4MmY3OGVhODIGxFpqdjQB-qt56Z7LAuGuaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MDQyMjExNnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    I love the rover 75. Must pick up another fixer upper.
    I've sold a few 04 05 model petrols for around the 1300 mark with 150k + miles. They are worth that if genuinely well serviced and long test. I like to buy for around 400 needing a few jobs. No money in it - might make 300 on a car after tidying and testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've been doing the same to a few BMW E46s this year. Have a liking for that car. Honest, well made and very reliable car and cheaper here in Ireland than anywhere else in the world. The ones with the sports suspension are brilliant to drive too.

Also have a liking for the Rover 75. Owned one for 5 years and it was a very comfortable car and our total cost of ownership was lower than any other car of that size / age would have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

visual wrote: »
    54 hp 4 maybe 5 speed be horrible on motorway and find it difficult keeping up with traffic at other times. Daily driver it's not. It's too decapitated to make desired classic and too costly to restore to any condition that would make it desirable.

I feel this along with the Vectra are taking the thread in the wrong direction.

Just on this, as pointed out they are not 54bhp. However their factory bhp output is not the draw of the 1.6td, the ease at which it can be tuned is. Turn up the fuel and fit a boost controller or stronger actuator spring and you're at around the 105-110bhp mark with bags of torque this combo in a mk2 shell is actually enough to outrun a lot of normal economy cars on Irish roads never mind keep up with them.

Upgrade the fuel pump, turbo and injectors and you have a mk2 golf that'll leave the 16v gti variant sitting.

So no cars like this are not taking the thread in the wrong direction people ranting about things they know nothing about however are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

unkel wrote: »
    I've been doing the same to a few BMW E46s this year. Have a liking for that car. Honest, well made and very reliable car and cheaper here in Ireland than anywhere else in the world. The ones with the sports suspension are brilliant to drive too.

Also have a liking for the Rover 75. Owned one for 5 years and it was a very comfortable car and our total cost of ownership was lower than any other car of that size / age would have been.
    Some common stuff between e46 and rover 75 too!
    Just thinking I might go abit upmarket with my next fixer upper. Some sort of barge maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Well I guess you have fanboi's for every maker.
    My point was that the car was molested and therefore not worth what the asking price was, to a VW enthusiast. I'm delighted you can tune it.
    I really am.

cadaliac wrote: »
    Well I guess you have fanboi's for every maker.
    My point was that the car was molested and therefore not worth what the asking price was, to a VW enthusiast. I'm delighted you can tune it.
    I really am.

Fanboi's? Lord god leave that sorta talk where it belongs across the atlantic.
    I don't recall anyone saying it was worth the asking price but the engine and it's auxiliaries are worth close to €400 to vw enthusiasts and the shell is straight and NCT passable so rust can't be too bad so those saying the car was worth €250 were clearly wrong.

Also if your directing this brand loyalty sh1te in my direction then you couldn't be more wrong I like all cars and have posted a massive variety of cars in this thread from saabs and volvos to corollas and clio's and everything else in between and generally you will never see me criticise any car posted by anyone else in the thread either but if a person is goin to criticise a car blindly using wrong information they deserve to be pulled up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

We're back to this Golf ****e again are we? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Fanboi's? Lord god leave that sorta talk where it belongs across the atlantic.
    I don't recall anyone saying it was worth the asking price but the engine and it's auxiliaries are worth close to €400 to vw enthusiasts and the shell is straight and NCT passable so rust can't be too bad so those saying the car was worth €250 were clearly wrong.

Also if your directing this brand loyalty sh1te in my direction then you couldn't be more wrong I like all cars and have posted a massive variety of cars in this thread from saabs and volvos to corollas and clio's and everything else in between and generally you will never see me criticise any car posted by anyone else in the thread either but if a person is goin to criticise a car blindly using wrong information they deserve to be pulled up on it.

Fair enough. I used the wrong information. Car is worth more than €250. To someone . Not me.
    For what it's worth, I never accused you of being a Fanboi for vw.
    I certainly didn't mean it if it came across that way. I enjoy your posts
    I'll post something later when I get home.

Ironically enough here's another 90's vag car to get us back on track

Ym_Ex_Nj_Zi_Nj_Jh_MGE0_Mz_Nh_OGNm_MGE3_M2_Uz_Mz_Rk_Mz_M5_MWP1c_CYE.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/11692016
    Audi A4 ,New 1 year Nct
    Supposedly has a full service history with belt done around the 100k mark
    Fresh test till july17
    Looks clean
    Asking €350
    Seller is also selling a punto convertible so could be a small time dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-lexus-ls430-ls-430/13249501

NzUwNjBjYzU0MmU2N2VhOWY0ZDkwMjAzZDNiMTY0NDTadZmfYpUHBt1SE3XF_6-uaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTEyNDMyMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Idk if we've had this one already, but in any case here it is for sale an hour. NCT 5/17, tax up tomorrow. It looks very clean. €850. Unbelievable imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

visual wrote: »
    54 hp 4 maybe 5 speed be horrible on motorway and find it difficult keeping up with traffic at other times. Daily driver it's not. It's too decapitated to make desired classic and too costly to restore to any condition that would make it desirable.

I feel this along with the Vectra are taking the thread in the wrong direction.

Just on this, as pointed out they are not 54bhp. However their factory bhp output is not the draw of the 1.6td, the ease at which it can be tuned is. Turn up the fuel and fit a boost controller or stronger actuator spring and you're at around the 105-110bhp mark with bags of torque this combo in a mk2 shell is actually enough to outrun a lot of normal economy cars on Irish roads never mind keep up with them.

Upgrade the fuel pump, turbo and injectors and you have a mk2 golf that'll leave the 16v gti variant sitting.

So no cars like this are not taking the thread in the wrong direction people ranting about things they know nothing about however are.

It's a hen house even if it a few HP more than I said. Plus any car can be boosted to give more HP if enough money is thrown at it. Just because it's old doesn't equal a classic but you dream on sure it buff up into a beauty.

Have you ever drove one ? I have and they aren't the stuff dreams are made off. But then your such a self proclaimed expert and see the diamond in the ruff and will snap it up.
    Can't lose, bit of spit and shine and up grade the pump injectors and turbo and it's a pocket rocket win win. Or it bounce around for a while until NCT expires and be crushed.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus-07-diesel-estate-nct-10-17-tax-5-17/13241926

Y2Y1OTg5MGNkZGI2ZjQxZTI3MjkxZjExMzBlZDI5MDPNfeL9AM-BX8DGFTfZQP2naHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTA4MzExOHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

High enough miles, but nevertheless a functional diesel sub-10 year old estate with tax to 5/17(!) and NCT to 10/17 for under €2k. Non psv tax too.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Ironically enough here's another 90's vag car to get us back on track

Ym_Ex_Nj_Zi_Nj_Jh_MGE0_Mz_Nh_OGNm_MGE3_M2_Uz_Mz_Rk_Mz_M5_MWP1c_CYE.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/11692016
    Audi A4 ,New 1 year Nct
    Supposedly has a full service history with belt done around the 100k mark
    Fresh test till july17
    Looks clean
    Asking €350
    Seller is also selling a punto convertible so could be a small time dealer.

Don't know why but always had a soft spot for that model Audi. Loved the shape of the boot especially. Nice spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Y2Y1OTg5MGNkZGI2ZjQxZTI3MjkxZjExMzBlZDI5MDPNfeL9AM-BX8DGFTfZQP2naHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTA4MzExOHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

High enough miles, but nevertheless a functional diesel sub-10 year old estate with tax to 5/17(!) and NCT to 10/17 for under €2k. Non psv tax too.

I wouldn't touch that engine, even for banger price... Any 1.9 JTD/CDTI/TiD, 2.0 HDI/TDCI will be miles better...

Y2_Nk_NDcx_YWZm_MTQ4_Zj_M4_M2_M1_ODMy_YTEz_Nzll_Nj_Jh_MDnt_TUVM.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-merc-auto-5-mnts-tax-10-m-nct/12834656

2004 c180 auto
    Test till march17
    Tax till the end of november16
    Could be a genuine add/reason for sale.
    No mention of service history but looks fairly clean a side from a few marks
    Asking €1100 ono
    Also comes complete with those god awful fake metal floor mats :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

grogi wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch that engine, even for banger price... Any 1.9 JTD/CDTI/TiD, 2.0 HDI/TDCI will be miles better...

For reliability? All of the engines you mention all give more than their fair share of issues(assuming the cdti is the one in the accord from the same era).

None of those engines are miles better in terms of reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Y2_Nk_NDcx_YWZm_MTQ4_Zj_M4_M2_M1_ODMy_YTEz_Nzll_Nj_Jh_MDnt_TUVM.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-merc-auto-5-mnts-tax-10-m-nct/12834656

2004 c180 auto
    Test till march17
    Asking €1100 ono

55 mpg?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

2004 c180 auto
    Test till march17
    Asking €1100 ono
    55 mpg from a 1.8 petrol Merc (AND it's an automatic!) I doubt it! :eek:

Esel wrote: »
    55 mpg?

The months of test and tax on it are a bit out too
    but could still be a decent car.
    As with any w203 merc; eyes wide open when inspecting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Having said that, 55mpg or not, it still seems good value for a 2004 Merc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Soarer

LS430 is savage!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭KrakityJones

Asking 2100 so slightly over the limit but if they'd drop by the 100 this seems like nice cheap motoring and being honda you'd imagine reliable. Half tempted to go for a look

Anyone know what these are like or driven on?

1.3 Hybrid Civic

MDcxYWEyNGIxZTY2MWE2MmYyMjcyZTVkM2I5YmM1Y2V_7vN5MylQWR_aAHA5ZY3NaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTAxNzU4NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Must be the highest spec'd Civic of that era in this country.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-s-class-s320-a-t/13240073

YTJhMjRkOTA3YTBkNzQ2ZTNkYjllZDU5ZjA3ZWY4MGQ3K9j10F5GK-77anV17tE3aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTA3NDA0Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Decent looking S320 with NCT to 3/17 and tax to 10/16 for €1100. Nice car for not much money

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

Decent looking S320 with NCT to 3/17 and tax to 10/16 for €1100. Nice car for not much money

Lovely find

Whoever fitted a tow bar to an S Class should be shot

crazyjim wrote: »
    Lovely find

It was probably a Toyota dealer, I hear they're the men to go to if ya need a towbar ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

crazyjim wrote: »
    Lovely find

I use mine as a parking sensor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement