Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I have a bit of a soft spot for these things

Me too. They drive quite well, probably better than anything else in the class and the old Kent engine has 60BHP iirc, which is probably more than most base superminis of that era

Ancient engine, but pretty bomb proof with that kinda mileage (listen out for tappety engine) and no timing belt to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

unkel wrote: »
    Me too. They drive quite well, probably better than anything else in the class and the old Kent engine has 60BHP iirc, which is probably more than most base superminis of that era

Ancient engine, but pretty bomb proof with that kinda mileage (listen out for tappety engine) and no timing belt to worry about

You are joking? They are a dog of a thing to drive, especially with that engine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    You are joking? They are a dog of a thing to drive, especially with that engine

Ah stop John. The 1.25 Zetec is widely regarded as a very punchy and chuckable engine and I think we can both agree that it didn't pull such credentials from thin air.

The 1.3 ofc isn't quite as good - one might even say though that it is about on par with the archaic 2E found in a Starlet of similar vintage.

Ah stop John. The 1.25 Zetec is widely regarded as a very punchy and chuckable engine and I think we can both agree that it didn't pull such credentials from thin air.

The 1.3 ofc isn't quite as good - one might even say though that it is about on par with the archaic 2E found in a Starlet of similar vintage.
    A relative bought a new one back in 1998 with that 1.3 engine. It was a dreadful car to drive and a dreadful car full stop, even when brand new.

The starlet of a similar vintage had the 4e-fe engine which was light years ahead of that 1.3(the car itself was light years ahead too tbh) and was also better than the 1.25 engine as well. Even the 2e engine you reffer to was better than that ancient 1.3 unit.

That model fiesta it self in general is a bit of a dog, even with the 1.25 engine, which is hardly surprising given that it's design dates back to 1989. It was just massively overrated by the british press(as were many fords from the mid-late 90's)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Hal1 wrote: »
    The 318 ci seems like a nice motor, but what are they like to live with? My own car is acting the mick at the moment with the pas leaking and just being a dick lately in general. It's not worth the effort with it anymore I've spent enough airgéad on her in my ownership. Just looking for a bangernomics special that is comfy and has a bit of overtaking power and is easy enough on the eye.

Had a facelift e46 318ci last 2 years with about 130k miles on it. Best car I've driven by a long way! All C models came with sports suspension which I found comfy enough. No major trouble apart from a leak in the radiator which was an easy fix. Actually surprisingly easy to work on. Got just over 30mpg which is decent.

Two notes - they are low and people often commented it was awkward to get in and out of especially since there is no door frame around the glass so you can't lean on it. My one was the basic model which had zero extras, things like leather, cruise etc are options/upgrade packages so something to keep in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'd agree with John the only thing the 1.3 fiesta had going for it was reliability it was terrible to drive and that noisey pushrod engine with was so dated and it handled terrible didn't it have the same suspension part for part as the mk 3 fiesta. The 1.25 did feel alot better my wife had a 00 back in the day and it felt bit sportier to drive then the 1.3.

Thats what I was getting at. The 1.25 was by no means "a dog"

Thats what I was getting at. The 1.25 was by no means "a dog"

It wasn't but the car it was fitted to was.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have to disagree, that gen fiesta with the 1.25 was a great drive. It was very dated and small towards the end but it was always a good spin.
    The 1.3 engine was a horrible rattlebox, I've only ever driven 1.3 older ones than the one linked without power steering though.

It's amusing that the 1.25 in the a Fiesta these days is only 59bhp in a heavier car.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Have to disagree, that gen fiesta with the 1.25 was a great drive. It was very dated and small towards the end but it was always a good spin.
    The 1.3 engine was a horrible rattlebox, I've only ever driven 1.3 older ones than the one linked without power steering though.

It's amusing that the 1.25 in the a Fiesta these days is only 59bhp in a heavier car.

Each to their own. I always found them to be unpleasant and not really exciting to drive either. The interior quality was poor too.

• Advertisement

Ah stop John. The 1.25 Zetec is widely regarded as a very punchy and chuckable engine and I think we can both agree that it didn't pull such credentials from thin air. ...........

Yamaha iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,956 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Each to their own. I always found them to be unpleasant and not really exciting to drive either. The interior quality was poor too.
    There are about 50 lads that regularly bring their Fiestas out in the race series in Mondello who's opinion on the excitement of driving the 1.25 would differ vastly from yours.

Augeo wrote: »
    Yamaha iirc.

Indeed. They also were involved with the 1.4 and 1.6 units in the focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Re: the fiesta a pretty good car at that money with the mileage and test.

But I really wouldn't go along with them being ahead of the competition. Reliability wise they are better than some of the french cars but these are better to drive in the case of the 106 or saxo.
    I'd put an ep91 4efe starlet miles ahead of a 1.3 fiesta and I still feel they're better than a 1.25 too.
    The only 2e engine the ford 1.3 might be better than would be a carbureted one imo its still worse than these. The fuel injected 12v 2e is better than it and the 4efe is miles ahead of it.

choons wrote: »
    All C models came with sports suspension

That's not the case! Even though it does state that on the wikipedia page for the E46 :p

You have to decode the vin, to see if it came with the factory sports suspension settings

Here's the VIN of a face lift 320Ci that was for sale recenly on adverts: PM14143

Check it for yourself, it does not have sports suspension! Or post your VIN up here and we'll check if your car has it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

OWYyNmMxNWYxOTYyYjVlMDFmNjRlOWI1MDE3YzQ4NDduPO8PpEU7198t-wJ63m_kaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MDc5NjU3OHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Nice 2006 93 Diesel, new NCT for a year, and 122,000 miles, coming in just under bangernomics limit @ €1950

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-93-linear-sport-1-9-tid-6-spd/13188330

YzZhOTI0OGNkODY0MjQxYjliOGI5YTkyNzBiNmZmMTnqlYJiSVhAqUVevLz3qp2AaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTc2NTEzNnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Bought a Mk2 one of these last week in diesel also, but if I hadn't, I'd certainly give this a look!
    Absolutely spotless! The engine bay is cleaner than my desk :eek:

1 owner, NCT to April 17 and a couple of weeks tax left
    Asking €1350, but I'd say €1200 would surely bring it home

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s40-just-1-owner/13369504

Mzg0ZjU0MzllOWNkNDc1ODQ4NTlhMWVjYWFkNzk0ZmQX_r-fZTFEy8hxcU0x8xWIaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTQ2NzQxM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Last one for the night
    Clean looking 2005 E46 316 (1.8 litre) with NCT until January
    Says its 150,000km, but wonder if that should be miles, although it's described as low mileage
    Dunno what the hell the comment means after the tyres???
    "Tyres very good * rich equipment!"
    €1700

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-very-good-condition-low-mileage-nct/13315916

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Mzg0ZjU0MzllOWNkNDc1ODQ4NTlhMWVjYWFkNzk0ZmQX_r-fZTFEy8hxcU0x8xWIaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTQ2NzQxM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Last one for the night
    Clean looking 2005 E46 316 (1.8 litre) with NCT until January
    Says its 150,000km, but wonder if that should be miles, although it's described as low mileage
    Dunno what the hell the comment means after the tyres???
    "Tyres very good * rich equipment!"
    €1700

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-very-good-condition-low-mileage-nct/13315916

Rich equipment = well equipped/specced car.

Seller of Polish origin I guess with not so good English ;)

You would often see a phrase " bogate (rich) wyposażenie (equipment)" in Poland.

That doesn't translate well into English, though.

Blame google.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

wonski wrote: »
    Rich equipment = well equipped/specced car.

Seller of Polish origin I guess with not so good English ;)

You would often see a phrase " bogate (rich) wyposażenie (equipment)" in Poland.

That doesn't translate well into English, though.

Blame google.

Or the car has Goodrich tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

He seems to have some seriously cheap stuff a lot of the time. Pretty much private sale price levels. But as he is a dealer, the sale of goods act applies and he must stand over his goods / provide a warranty. How does he do that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

unkel wrote: »
    He seems to have some seriously cheap stuff a lot of the time. Pretty much private sale price levels. But as he is a dealer, the sale of goods act applies and he must stand over his goods / provide a warranty. How does he do that?

3rd party warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

3rd party warranty

They will often try to get out of the responsibility with 3rd party warranty, but in fairness it does not change anything.

If something goes wrong one has all the right to go back to the dealer.

How would he have margin out of a €500 '04 Focus to buy a 3rd party warranty?

Edit - just spotted the engine of the Focus "needs attention"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Re: Bill Griffin I personally wouldn't buy an air freshener off him.
    It's not that he's dodge but he's a dealer that tends to take in yokes that people can't sell privately to flip on as quick as possible lots of rough cars with fcek all service history.

Now for some bangernomics
    Yz_Iw_M2_Ni_MWVj_MDMx_Mz_A2_Zj_I1_Mj_Aw_ZGM0_NGUz_Yj_Nh_Yz_Mxy8_XN.jpg

Nz_I4_ODg5_Nj_I5_NGZm_Nm_Q5_MWI3_OTZl_ZTZm_OWY5_MTZh_Yj_K1tcz_S.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/rav4-new-nct/13308983
    97 Rav4 manual 4x4
    tested till the end of July17
    Supposedly a recent belt and waterpump change
    Mileage is down @rseways but looks to be 245k km on the nct disc
    Asking €550

I've a real soft spot for those Rav4s. That one looks particularly good in a nice colour and with a manual box. Nice find

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-93/13371995?campaign=3

ZTE1MGMwNmUzNDNjYTQwMDY0MTIzMTk4NDU0YjA3Nzme46WjbquGfLSaA54DQRxlaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTc3NjYwMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I absolutely hate ads with photos like this, but nevertheless this 9-3 cabrio with matching plate, 110k miles and NCT to 5/17 for €999. Not bad imo, if it checks out okay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Hey lads just a little plug for a little Yaris.

If you've any advice/feedback it'd be greatly appreciated.

Tax is till 10/2016
    NCT is till 02/2017

100191 miles.

NTJlOWFmNGJjYTI3NDc5OTQzYWM5NWMwOGI3NzJkZWE-tpLSGmxD8_jJ1BgzUjYcaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTgyMzgxN3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-2000/13380601

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement