Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Nice set of wheels for under (?) a grand.
    2002 Mercedes E200 compressor elegance automatic. Very good condition, leather electric seats, cruise control. Fully serviced. Very economical car to run. €1,000 ono.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e200/10702797?sv=1

RUZaZPU.jpg

'Old out yerrand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...'Old out yerrand!

Is right. That's a beauty. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Might be my screen, but it looks like the back seats have seen plenty of action,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

kupus wrote: »
    Might be my screen, but it looks like the back seats have seen plenty of action,

That kind of thing is fairly typical of light-grey leather that's been around a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Would anyone take a chance on a 1.6 Avensis 2001 with about 8 months test for €1400? She has close to 200,000 miles done though but it looks very clean. Will need tires soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It looks as if the owner brought dogs in the back of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭RayCon

jharr100 wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10678075

Only 57k one owner.. looks new ..
    Haggle 150 off of course ....

If that milage and service history checks out legit ... that car hasn't even been broken in ... good for another 200K easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

RayCon wrote: »
    If that milage and service history checks out legit ... that car hasn't even been broken in ... good for another 200K easy.

For sure. It could probably do a lot more than that. Clean unmolested car, probably in excellent condition. I'm sure someone will be delighted to buy it.

Doesn't make it a bargain though in my book. I feel it is a lot of money for a basic car that's already nearly 14 years old with a very short NCT.

For the same money you could have this

46407818.jpeg

Linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10657728

New test. Very smart looking, looks clean too. Good spec even for a Vectra, half pleather and sat nav, 2007 plate too. Wondering is there a snag.

Edit: is Monoghan the dodgy NCT area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

looks alright. Not a very convincing facelift. I think the angular headlights looked better.

They those fake alloys that are really steel wheels?

I'm not even mad :pac:

Actually the fakey alloys were 5 spoke

Decent package for €2k if it's legit though.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10710666

Nice 3dr 1.6 focus, bit rough around the edges but has a massive one month warranty, could be a nice car.

That colour screams 1998 to me. It was so popular on the launch models.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the fakey alloys

I thought they only came with the Insignia? Neighbour has the fakeys on his car and they are horrible alright :D

I've seen em on zafiras and I'm sure vectras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Re: vectra - - I wouldn't drive one if it was free (well, not literally).
    The Diesel versions are a well known heap of sh1t. I'm sure it will suit the right man/woman looking for such a car but I just couldn't bring myself to drive one.
    They are horrible and offensive cars. They are the cheapest diesel (for their year) for a damn good reason.
    This is my opinion and that is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

unkel wrote: »
    For sure. It could probably do a lot more than that. Clean unmolested car, probably in excellent condition. I'm sure someone will be delighted to buy it.

Doesn't make it a bargain though in my book. I feel it is a lot of money for a basic car that's already nearly 14 years old with a very short NCT.
    For the same money you could have this

46407818.jpeg

Linky
    Those civics are excellent cars and that looks like a great example. It has sold very quickly so it probably is indeed in very good condition. It may not be a bargain but the price isn't bad for a civic that's in that condition with a fsh. Someone will get a good few years out of that car without any hassle.

As good as that Saab looks I think for a day to day car the civic is much easier to live with. Handling and driving dynamics are a heck of a lot better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

colm_mcm wrote: »

I saw this and went to test drive it . The gearbox was knackered . 100% mechanically good is a load of rubbish .

I had the cash on me an all :(

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Those civics are excellent cars and that looks like a great example. It has sold very quickly so it probably is indeed in very good condition. It may not be a bargain but the price isn't bad for a civic that's in that condition with a fsh. Someone will get a good few years out of that car without any hassle.

As good as that Saab looks I think for a day to day car the civic is much easier to live with. Handling and driving dynamics are a heck of a lot better too.

Indeed, but which one would you rather drive? I, personally would want the Saab. if it was my hard earned, I would also go for the Saab, especially since it's an '06. You are correct however, in the sense that the civic would be easier run over a period of time, but look at the gulf in quality and comfort. Anyway, it's my preference - not everyone else's, tbf.

There are so many dynamics in the Bangernomics forum now that you simply cannot please everyone. I, for one, am a stubborn old bastard in the sense that I would sacrifice fuel economy for comfort, or whatever - meaning that I have a certain set of guidelines that suit me (personally).
    Not everyone will agree with my taste or ideals - and that's why I find this forum so interesting. I find that the different cars and that different people's needs are very interesting. I remember when this forum started off. We all had a set of ideas as to what a bangernomics car should be.
    That has changed, moved with the times so to speak. For the better, might I add.

This is a great forum and keep the cars coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

cadaliac wrote: »
    Indeed, but which one would you rather drive? I, personally would want the Saab. if it was my hard earned, I would also go for the Saab, especially since it's an '06. You are correct however, in the sense that the civic would be easier run over a period of time, but look at the gulf in quality and comfort. Anyway, it's my preference - not everyone else's, tbf.

There are so many dynamics in the Bangernomics forum now that you simply cannot please everyone. I, for one, am a stubborn old bastard in the sense that I would sacrifice fuel economy for comfort, or whatever - meaning that I have a certain set of guidelines that suit me (personally).
    Not everyone will agree with my taste or ideals - and that's why I find this forum so interesting. I find that the different cars and that different people's needs are very interesting. I remember when this forum started off. We all had a set of ideas as to what a bangernomics car should be.
    That has changed, moved with the times so to speak. For the better, might I add.

This is a great forum and keep the cars coming.
    Everyone is different but I'd rather drive the civic tbh. The Saab might be more comfortable and a nicer place to be but It's not a better car to drive. The civic is better dynamically and handles better. There isn't gulf in quality either imo, if anything the civic is better built. Also despite the Saab being an 06 it's based on a much older car.

Don't get me wrong the Saab is still good value and would make a great motorway cruiser but if I wanted a good car that's reliable and won't cost the earth to run or maintain and last years I think that civic is hard to beat.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Everyone is different but I'd rather drive the civic tbh. The Saab might be more comfortable and a nicer place to be but It's not a better car to drive. The civic is better dynamically and handles better. There isn't gulf in quality either imo, if anything the civic is better built. Also despite the Saab being an 06 it's based on a much older car.

Don't get me wrong the Saab is still good value and would make a great motorway cruiser but if I wanted a good car that's reliable and won't cost the earth to run or maintain and last years I think that civic is hard to beat.
    Exactly, there are different ideals for every person reading these pages and (although don't agree about the civic) some might want the Saab and some the Civic, the whole Bangernomics thread is great for each individual.
    To some, the civic will be hands down winner. To others, the Saab.
    The driving dynamics are arguable - to some. I would prefer the bigger car, you would prefer the smaller, for obvious driving dynamics that a smaller car brings.
    I agree with you, the civic is a cheaper alternative than the Saab but some might not see that as a reasonable enough reason to sacrifice comfort (or whatever) to a different car.
    I still think the Civic (that particular one mentioned) is exceptional value. It really is down to what suits each individual. There was a Merc E200 kompressor (02) listed recently - if I was in the market, that would be mine tomorrow. There is really and truly some great value cars out there - for the right buyer. At the right time.
    Again, that's why this forum is so good. It's the different tastes and needs of the Bangernomics buyer that makes it.

cadaliac wrote: »
    To some, the civic will be hands down winner. To others, the Saab. The driving dynamics are arguable - to some. I would prefer the bigger car, you would prefer the smaller, for obvious driving dynamics that a smaller car brings.

There really is not much to argue about. Both are wrong wheel drive. This isn't too bad in a tiny car like a Civic. The bad handling cars gets masked by a good driver. In a heavy car like that Saab, there is no hiding the fact that an '80s Vectra does not a drivers car make :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

There really is not much to argue about. Both are wrong wheel drive. This isn't too bad in a tiny car like a Civic. The bad handling cars gets masked by a good driver. In a heavy car like that Saab, there is no hiding the fact that an '80s Vectra does not a drivers car make :-)

Since I started driving rwd daily, I have noticed the difference in a positive way.
    Steering wheel feels much better and the acceleration is much smoother.

I doubt I will go back. The only way is forward...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

wonski wrote: »
    Since I started driving rwd daily, I have noticed the difference in a positive way.

We might check back on that if we get as icy a winter as some forecasters are predicting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

flazio wrote: »
    We might check back on that if we get as icy a winter as some forecasters are predicting.

Or do what a mate of mine does and have a few bricks in the boot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Or do what a mate of mine does and have a few bricks in the boot

Add more weight to the rear so when the tail slides, nothing on this earth will ever bring it back into line.

Your mate's a wally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

wonski wrote: »

Does drive layout really make that much of a difference to most people enough that they'd notice if though? All my cars have been fwd and my civic gets away from the lights pretty darn fast for what I need, and its respectable on the twisty stuff, but nearly all my driving is on dual carriageways, as probably is most other people's. FR layout is better regarding weight and balance etc, but if you're driving hard enough to appreciate it you probably should be on a track not a main road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

rizzodun wrote: »
    Does drive layout really make that much of a difference to most people enough that they'd notice if though? All my cars have been fwd and my civic gets away from the lights pretty darn fast for what I need, and its respectable on the twisty stuff, but nearly all my driving is on dual carriageways, as probably is most other people's. FR layout is better regarding weight and balance etc, but if you're driving hard enough to appreciate it you probably should be on a track not a main road?

It really does.
    I had a Suzuki Jimny on holidays and even at perfectly respectable speeds through the twisty road of Zante, you could really feel the rear tyres grip and push you out of a corner. It's a really satisfying feeling, you feel a lot more control in it too.

And a Jimny is not renowned for it handling...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement