Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

To be honest from what I understand of Mike he is more of a character than a chancer :p

To quote quadrifoglio verde on his visit to his yard :P

The memories of buying that clk. The only time the roof half worked electrically. Easy to do manually though so no major worries

Look he's a character and he's in the business of buying cheap and selling cheap. He gives the impression that he has an office, refering to aine in the office will send out the log book in the morning. You know the log book is probably at home, sitting under a mug of tea with numerous tea stains on it.

At the end of the day we knew what we were looking for. A 4 seated convertible with a few toys and a bit of power, that we'd flip in 6 weeks time. Worst came to worst we'd loose a few hundred each. The cost of a few nights out kind of thing.
    15 months later we still have it, have clocked up 5000 miles in it this year and the women love it. Sunny day, head of with a few of your friends down the coast and people genuinely think your loaded. All for the cost of a few nights out on the town. Few other cars make you feel like a twat and boy does that car do it to you

I don't know if I'd buy a daily driver of Mike, you do have to be prepared to walk away. Then again with everything at this end of the market you have to be prepared to walk away. Is he honest? god know, but what car salesman is when they sell bangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

unkel wrote: »
    I've an E60 6 pot petrol as the main family car now. Can't fault it, still modern looking car, excellent for travelling in long distance for the 5 of us. Refined, and you can do a high average speed without anyone noticing it or complaining about it :p

Not anywhere near the drivers car that the E39 was though. In fact my E38 735i Sport was more of a drivers car really...

That's exactly what I mean. E60 is a brilliant car, comfortable and fast, but it has lost the BMW soul somewhere in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Great story, I remember when you posted here he bought the S-type :)

Did your dad just decide that for himself or did you do a lot of pushing / hinting?

I always have a lot of respect for an elderly gentleman in an elderly higher end car :cool:

It was his own decision, with a bit of help from my brother and I as we went to look at a few cars for him. Nothing in the Fluence range suited him at all...he likes an air of substance in a car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Mz_Rl_ODU0_ZGNh_ZDhh_Nj_Bl_M2_Fh_Zm_Nl_Nz_Fm_NWVm_M2_Fk_OTICOgb_I.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-camry-2-2-petrol/13399716

Decent Camry with test till December
    Body looks clean and these yokes don't go wrong mechanically too often and they're seriously comfy.
    Working aircon and reported to have had suspension and brake work carried out last year.
    Supposedly taxed till the end of May17
    Asking €925 bit of a haggle and ya nearly have a free car when the value of the tax is deducted

Legit tax and everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Great story, I remember when you posted here he bought the S-type :)

Did your dad just decide that for himself or did you do a lot of pushing / hinting?

I always have a lot of respect for an elderly gentleman in an elderly higher end car :cool:

It was his own decision, with a bit of help from my brother and I as we went to look at a few cars for him. Nothing in the Fluence range suited him at all...he likes an air of substance in a car :D
    Fluence God awful car.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-sr/13433240

OGU0MzVmNzEzOWYwMzU1OTRlMzgwYTI3ZjJiNjI5YzkmtDuDaON7uQgQcFzryc_jaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MjA5NTI5OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

1.6 6 speed Corolla SR - NCT 5/17 €1100. Nice to see an original looking one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Legit tax and everything
    How can you check? Went to see a car once and the guy had limo tax or something on it. Is there somewhere it can be checked online?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

motortax.ie

Click on motor tax rate, then by vehicle registration and fill in the reg. It shows the rate. If it is €95 per year, it's PSV :)

• Advertisement

Duh! Pretty simple alright

On the same topic, possibly another dumb question, BUT.................Is there any way of checking if a car is taxed and how much tax is on it?

Reason I ask is, I got caught out...bought a car with maybe 4 or 5 months tax remaining last year and after it was transferred into my name I got the form saying it was due for tax, thought they must have made a mistake but turned out my tax disc was a doctored one made up of various discs stuck together!! I kid you NOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

you can try putting an ad in carireland.ie (just start an ad, no need to pay for it) - they used to have a form that said if there was tax left on a car or not when you put in the reg. I dont know if it works anymore, havent tried in a while.

Afraid it doesn't work. Looks like it stopped this year. Put in my own car just now and gives nct as Jan 16 although mine is Jan 17 and tax as March 16 but mine is up to end of Nov

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Afraid it doesn't work. Looks like it stopped this year. Put in my own car just now and gives nct as Jan 16 although mine is Jan 17 and tax as March 16 but mine is up to end of Nov

Still works for mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Would I be able to get classic insurance on this lads or are they all looking for cars to be over 20 years old now?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-3-series-b-m-w-316-i-se-executive-nct-and-tax/13424638

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

tony1980 wrote: »
    Would I be able to get classic insurance on this lads or are they all looking for cars to be over 20 years old now?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-3-series-b-m-w-316-i-se-executive-nct-and-tax/13424638

Only 20 years or over now from First Ireland / AIG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I would try autoline insurance up they cover 15 yr old cars as classic, based up north but they cover here too, I don't have their number though sorry

Yeah auto line insurance would cover it as a classic 15 yrs, based up north but they cover down south too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

davycc wrote: »
    Yeah auto line insurance would cover it as a classic 15 yrs, based up north but they cover down south too

Any idea if you need a policy on a daily driver before they will insure a classic?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Any idea if you need a policy on a daily driver before they will insure a classic?

They do. You also need to be 25, and have a full licence.

Bandito909 wrote: »

Yeah you would sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

davycc wrote: »
    Yeah you would sadly

Cheers pal. I tried first Ireland and they have changed the rules requiring you to have a main policy and the classic must be 20.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1996-volkswagen-golf-mk3-cabriolet/13447274

M2NmYTFhZDZkMjQwMDBmNzZiNzYxM2I4ZGFiNzc2YTOLWZfK53Uhyz0wBzHLZoJVaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MjE3NDQ1NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

My parents jumping on the bandwagon here and selling off their cabriolet after enjoying it for the Summer ;) This has just recently been put back on the road after a long spell off. Its had four brand new tyres, a new timing belt just last week, serviced and a brand new hood in August at a considerable cost. Its taxed till October and NCT'd right up until August 2017. Its not mint, but its not rusty either like most! Ready to be enjoyed, they just haven't got the storage for it over the Winter and are worried that the roof will be ruined.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Add some interior shots, that might help with the sale.
    Looks mint tbh

bear1 wrote: »
    Add some interior shots, that might help with the sale.
    Looks mint tbh

It got an interior valet two weeks ago, so its still fairly fresh. Not mint (the seats/carpets are cream!) but its fairly clean. I'll get some up asap, when/if the rain stops!

Oh, I forgot to mention too I have a 4 door hatchback spares car too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    ZWNkNjg3Yjg4MTNiMGE5M2E3NzJmODkzMzRmYTkyMzh1MzzXMpukcEjycOZbsfoZaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MjA1MDMxN3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Pics are not the best, but for a 2001 E46 with a bit of tax and NCT until Feb 17, this looks good for under €700
    Whether the miles and km's are mixed up, I'm not sure, but still not high mileage

Went ahead and picked this up earlier, got it for 575 euro. It looked in very good condition, a little scrape by the back bumper but not really noticeable.

This is my first BMW, I had never driven one before (I am 36!) and I have to say I really enjoyed the test drive and the drive home after buying the car. I dont know a huge amount about cars and I know some here mentioned this particular model wasn't very powerful but it felt pretty good to me, I was coming from a 1.8 Mondeo so I am not sure of the differences but this certainly felt more powerful and a much more enjoyable drive!

Mike certainly is a character but didn't seem too bad once I got chatting to him. Everything looked good to us when checking things out so hopefully now we will have a bit of luck with it. I am hoping to upgrade in less than a year so will definitely be popping in here to see what I can get for around the 2k mark then.

Thanks for the help :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

The E46 is a nice comfy bus alright, I had a 318i touring of that era, but the auto box was dog slow. I think yours is the 1.9 too? You'll find the manual box much better in those and a nice refined drive.
    The only things I had problems with were coolant leaks from the expansion tank, suspension bushes and tie rods at NCT time, and I think a crankshaft sensor causing rough running.

Happy motoring!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement