Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

tony1980 wrote: »
    Went ahead and picked this up earlier, got it for 575 euro. It looked in very good condition, a little scrape by the back bumper but not really noticeable.

This is my first BMW, I had never driven one before (I am 36!) and I have to say I really enjoyed the test drive and the drive home after buying the car. I dont know a huge amount about cars and I know some here mentioned this particular model wasn't very powerful but it felt pretty good to me, I was coming from a 1.8 Mondeo so I am not sure of the differences but this certainly felt more powerful and a much more enjoyable drive!

Mike certainly is a character but didn't seem too bad once I got chatting to him. Everything looked good to us when checking things out so hopefully now we will have a bit of luck with it. I am hoping to upgrade in less than a year so will definitely be popping in here to see what I can get for around the 2k mark then.

Thanks for the help :-)

Excellent! Well done at 575. Has to be worth that all day long
    Best of luck with her

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar/13446490

YzA5ZjkzMWJmNmYxZjdmMTZiNDExZDBmNWE1ODE0ZGXD-WQhV1cidGoJ4YjdxLFNaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MjE2OTA4OHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Okay so surely there is a catch here? 03 new model XJ6 NCT'd to 5/17, €1650. Transferred to an individual at the start of the month, but still a lot of car for the money..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 oxnexon

Interior on that Jag looks very tired for the claimed mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

YzA5ZjkzMWJmNmYxZjdmMTZiNDExZDBmNWE1ODE0ZGXD-WQhV1cidGoJ4YjdxLFNaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MjE2OTA4OHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Okay so surely there is a catch here? 03 new model XJ6 NCT'd to 5/17, €1650. Transferred to an individual at the start of the month, but still a lot of car for the money..

The seller has 2 other ads so maybe small time dealer but unreg'd hence the transfer to individual?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

oxnexon wrote: »

Welcome to boards, oxnenon. I see you're very first post is a positive contribution to the discussion :D

But seriously, do you really think it looks tired? The car is nearly 14 years old with over 100k miles on it. Looks alright to me. For a car that can probably be yours for around €1,400. These were pretty reliable too (for a Jag)

I sure would

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 oxnexon

unkel wrote: »

Welcome to boards, oxnenon. I see you're very first post is a positive contribution to the discussion :D

But seriously, do you really think it looks tired? The car is nearly 14 years old with over 100k miles on it. Looks alright to me. For a car that can probably be yours for around 1,400. These were pretty reliable too (for a Jag)

I sure would

Yes I do, but then again maybe he was steering it with his teeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

unkel wrote: »
    My V8 5-series was an E34 :)

Only had one E39 myself, and a bog standard 2l manual at that. Nothing to be laughed at though. Only 150BHP and on paper the 9.9s 0-100km/h time doesn't look great. But that's on paper. The car will not win many traffic light races, but the chassis of the E39 was brilliant. Probably the most dynamic big saloon ever made. Drive it hard and keep the revs high and it's a brilliant car to drive.
    Yes I do, but then again maybe he was steering it with his teeth!

I agree the wheel is very worn looking. Especially having owned a car with near 400,000 miles on it and the steering wheel was in way better looking condition! Rough hands does make a huge difference as well as bad driving habits.

Eyes wide open on the Jaaaaag but a very cool car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I would have thought that there were actually 160k miles on the Jag and not km. Even still, a bit on the high side but overly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Could be a one handed palm of hand driver who always drove it with the hand on the one position. Would be interesting to see if the other side is as badly worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

tony1980 wrote: »
    Went ahead and picked this up earlier, got it for 575 euro. It looked in very good condition, a little scrape by the back bumper but not really noticeable.

This is my first BMW, I had never driven one before (I am 36!) and I have to say I really enjoyed the test drive and the drive home after buying the car. I dont know a huge amount about cars and I know some here mentioned this particular model wasn't very powerful but it felt pretty good to me, I was coming from a 1.8 Mondeo so I am not sure of the differences but this certainly felt more powerful and a much more enjoyable drive!

Mike certainly is a character but didn't seem too bad once I got chatting to him. Everything looked good to us when checking things out so hopefully now we will have a bit of luck with it. I am hoping to upgrade in less than a year so will definitely be popping in here to see what I can get for around the 2k mark then.

Thanks for the help :-)

I think that that has the same M43 engine as the E36 and can be a bit prone to heating once they are at the 100k mark. Keep an eye on it and make sure to use the right coolant. They're terrible as an auto and thirsty. Great handling though. Looks tidy and hope you enjoy it

• Advertisement

Looking for some help here guys

Sold my Passat TDi tonight and it was my 3rd one in a row. First 2 were base model and this was 130bhp
    I put up approx 50,000 kms on it in about a year and 5 months
    I tow a small trailer maybe 10 or 20 times a year, with very little weight, but I have to have a hitch (either car comes with one, or get one fitted later)

MOST of my driving is on crap back roads, and I mean bad bog roads. Have just got Volvo S40 MK2 diesel last week for herself, so all the "good driving" (motorway journeys etc) will be done in this. Had bought it as a nice upgrade from a Passat for myself, but with 17" low profile tyres, I took it on my regular route, and sorry, but it ain't happening!! :D

So.......I want to try stay in Bangernomics territory.
    1. Must be diesel with high mileage I am doing
    2. Prefer it has a hitch, or else have to allow a few hundred to get one and have it fitted etc

I am leaning towards something like a Saab diesel.
    I want something "nicer" inside than a VW Passat, but also this WILL be a bit of a workhorse with tool boxes etc fired into the boot and also must be pretty comfortable on crappy back roads

Am I gonna end up in another Passat??? :confused:
    Would appreciate any help/feedback please and I probably don't want to try Jap cars (been there done that) and although the French cars are probably gonna be comfiest on the roads I am driving, I think I would prefer not also.

That's really narrowing it down, but would love a few suggestions and also any feedback on Saab diesels. Have never owned a Saab and would like to tick them off my list some time

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

I had an 03 XJ8 over the summer and hated it. It looked stunning but i was always afraid it would break. The throttle is like a yaris, way too severe for a big barge. I thought the interior poor quality apart from the leather and the glove boxes tend to peel in black interiors. Far thirstier than a similar CL or any other luxobarge. Maybe I just grew up in the 70's and my whole childhood was English cars not starting or being broken in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Jayop wrote: »
    Could be a one handed palm of hand driver who always drove it with the hand on the one position. Would be interesting to see if the other side is as badly worn.

Well, from the cup holder, it would appear he was holding a pint in the other hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    I want something "nicer" inside than a VW Passat, but also this WILL be a bit of a workhorse with tool boxes etc fired into the boot and also must be pretty comfortable on crappy back roads

Am I gonna end up in another Passat??? :confused:

This should fit the bill nicely for ya if the age of the car isn't important.
    NTU2_NTA2_Mjdm_Mj_Rh_NDYy_Zj_Yy_ODAx_Y2_U0_ZWE3_Nj_Vk_Mj_WI4_N9h.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-1-9-tdi-130hp-new-low-miles/11965598

Like a passat but nicer inside :cool:

Seller has 2 other cars for sale and a few boats :confused: so maybe a dealer?

150bhp saab 9-3's are good value at the moment but they have their issues now they can of course be reliable but a side from a few of the known issues with the 1.9 fiat engine they also tend to suffer from electrical issues. A nice car all the same.

Yeah. Have been looking at a few Audi A4's and 6's alright as they are essentially a "nicer" VW.
    Have a funny feeling that is the road I am gonna take, and no, age is not overly important.
    The Passat i sold today was 02 also, so I'd kinda hope to stay above 02 if possible.

Regarding the Saab diesels, are there any particular issues with the 1.9 or 2.2 engines?
    Also, what would the suspension etc be like for bad roads?

(edit)
    Hmmm. That particular A6 is ticking all the boxes alright. Might take a look at this tomorrow. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Have a funny feeling that is the road I am gonna take, and no, age is not overly important.
    The Passat i sold today was 02 also, so I'd kinda hope to stay above 02 if possible.

When talking about the B5 platform, the A4 is smaller than the Passat, which is smaller than a Superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Yeah. Have been looking at a few Audi A4's and 6's alright as they are essentially a "nicer" VW.

Regarding the Saab diesels, are there any particular issues with the 1.9 or 2.2 engines?
    Also, what would the suspension etc be like for bad roads?

(edit)
    Hmmm. That particular A6 is ticking all the boxes alright. Might take a look at this tomorrow. Thanks again

The a4 from that era is a different car than a passat underneath.

Yeah, I had been looking at A4's and for that reason I was veering more towards the A6 as a welcome change from the Passat. I appreciate the A6 is probably SLIGHTLY poorer on mpg due to increased size and weight, but I'd imagine would still be returning very good figures, so I think the A6 is a good contender.

Not mad about the Superb of this era although the newer ones are a nice looking car

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The a4 from that era is a different car than a passat underneath.

In what way? Are they not both essentially the B5 platform?

2002 might be B6 already, I'm no expert on the Audi and they all look the same to me.

• Advertisement

the audi is on the b6 platform. the rear suspension for example is completely different. The passat has only a semi independent twist beam setup. The a4 offers fully independent rear suspension.

the audi is on the b6 platform. the rear suspension for example is completely different. The passat has only a semi independent twist beam setup. The a4 offers fully independent rear suspension.

Ah yes, the model I would be looking at is indeed that one. Thanks for that
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A4#B6_.28Typ_8E.2F8H.3B_2000.E2.80.932006.29

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Yeah, I had been looking at A4's and for that reason I was veering more towards the A6 as a welcome change from the Passat. I appreciate the A6 is probably SLIGHTLY poorer on mpg due to increased size and weight, but I'd imagine would still be returning very good figures, so I think the A6 is a good contender.

Not mad about the Superb of this era although the newer ones are a nice looking car
    Why not look at Frech cars?
    Pugs and citroen diesels represent fantastic value at that end of the market. For bad roads, I certainly wouldn't be looking at audi/VW

cadaliac wrote: »
    Pugs and citroen diesels represent fantastic value at that end of the market. For bad roads, I certainly wouldn't be looking at audi/VW

French cars are flimsy though.

Same reason really. Had French cars before but the build quality wasn't great although very soft and comfortable, but found the VW works perfect for these particular roads. It's a kind of mix of build quality and not too harsh a ride also

Depends on the vintage, you have to know what to look for
    Price depending, French diesel cars represent some of the best value on the market for the exact reason or attitude you and many many others have, which imo isn't true

I suppose the other factor would be longevity
    At the price I'm looking at, I won't find too many LOW mileage diesels and there are very few French cars listed showing what a lot of the Passats etc have on the engines

My own one had 228,000 miles on it when I sold it this evening and was still dead tight with not even a rattle in the cabin

At the price I'm looking at, I won't find too many LOW mileage diesels and there are very few French cars listed showing what a lot of the Passats etc have on the engines

My own one had 228,000 miles on it when I sold it this evening and was still dead tight with not even a rattle in the cabin

It something different...

French and Italian cars, as they depreciate faster, are not considered worth keeping on the road. Take breaks or shock absorbers - they needs to be done on every car from time to time. But wen a €500 job is lurking, it is easier to justify it on a €3000 VW than €1500 Citroen. That way they deteriorate much faster and the first NCT that fails is a death sentence...

grogi wrote: »

It something different...

French and Italian cars, as they depreciate faster, are not considered worth keeping on the road. Take breaks or shock absorbers - they needs to be done on every car from time to time. But wen a 500 job is lurking, it is easier to justify it on a 3000 VW than 1500 Citroen. That way they deteriorate much faster and the first NCT that fails is a death sentence...
    Agreed, hence the value.
    Also, there are lemon PSA diesel engines (1.6 springs to mind) that if they don't get the correct low ash content oil, on time, every time, will eat turbos and effectively render themselves as write offs. This adds to the perception that the engines are poor, moreover, poor French reliability.
    But there are good 2.0 diesels everywhere that are more forgiving for poor servicing and are just a better all round engine. These are what you should be looking for as they are tarnished with the same brush and provide cheap reliable diesel motoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

From what I understood the a4, a6, passat and superb are all of the same design differences to the body and chassis and rear suspension set up alright but front suspension arm setups, shocks etc all pretty much interchangeable, engine parts are all the same as long as they're the same engine code even if they aren't many things are interchangeable too. Likewise the octavia, bora, golf, leon and toledo are all much the same underneath too (the TT shares alot of similarities also).

Different cars yes completely different no.

With regards to the saabs the only one I'd consider is the 150bhp 1.9 any of the others and its a case of why bother?
    General 1.9 issues are swirl flaps/control unit, injectors and injector seals, premature waterpump and belt/tensioner failure also premature turbo failure but usually I'd guess thats down to poor servicing also known for some sensor issues too.

I'm unsure on this but I thought a certain engine code of the 1.9 120bhp engines was very unreliable someone who's more clued in on saab/gm might be able to shed some light.
    As a whole a 1.9 150bhp can potentially be very reliable and nice to drive but they can also go the other way, same could be said for many modern-ish diesel engines.

The 2.2 is a dog not massively reliable, out dated design, pretty poor mpg wise and dear tax all while being as dead as fook think they are round 120bhp but they don't feel like it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement